The Chronicles of Steele: Raven: A Steampunk…

The Chronicles of Steele: Raven: A Steampunk Fantasy Novel

by Pauline Creeden

This is a young adult steampunk fantasy about a girl named Raven. She was trained by her father to be a reaper. I don't remember the book actually giving a definition of what a reaper is, but from the information given, I understood it to be a type of guardian. The reapers have fighting and survival skills way beyond that of the average person. I believe traditionally they were suppose to be protectors to the people. Also reapers are suppose to follow a code in order to try to maintain a balance. If they take a life, they must save a life. Raven still lives by the code, but many of her fellow reapers have become mercenaries to the wealthy royal families."It's a state of mind. Some people loathe the act of killing a person at first, but as they continue to do it, it can feel like a game. They can begin to feel superior, like the winner of the game. But, if the reaper has to save a life for every life they take, it keeps them humble. It's a matter of subservience so the reaper doesn't begin to think himself as stronger than he is."
Several of the characters in the story are corrupt, not just the reapers. There are the royals and their lies. Also the book contains witches. There is a correlation in the writing in that the characters who wholly give in to power have negative effects. One example is when the witch uses magic, she ages."Magic comes at a cost most are unwilling to pay."
The actual storyline is about a boy from the royal family who is set to be killed. Raven's mission is to keep him alive. The plot follows them through all their trials. They're hunted while on the run and come across automatons, huge spiders, solders and much more.

I believe this is the perfect story for the intended younger audience.

3.5 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/03/chronicles-of-steele-rav... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

I believe this is the perfect story for the intended younger audience.

3.5 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Trained by her father to become some kind of assassin, a Reaper, hunted down by the other Reapers, Raven has learned to fend for herself at a young age. But taking lives comes at a price. For every life that's taken she has to redeem and save another life. So, when she's asked to take the baron's younger brother, Darius, to the wood witch as a last means of saving him, it seems like a good way to redeem herself for Raven.

This was an interesting mix between steampunk and fantasy, that included Zeppelins and mechanical horses but also witches. The start was slow and it took me quite some time to get into the story, but near the end I wanted to know how it was going to end. Though a bit predictable at times, it didn't really disappoint.

The romance plot was unnecessary and not that original either. I'm not such a fan of switching POVs and the fact that another POV will be added in the next book makes I'm not completely sure I will continue this series. But I'll probably give it a try because I did enjoy myself with Raven.

Raven is the first book in the Chronicles of Steele. The second book will be called Darius.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
absolutely brilliant and beautiful writing. I was sad when it ended because I wanted to stay with the characters forever.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review and I am so happy that I did. However, it's exactly the sort of book I would have picked up to read anyways. The cover art is scrumptious, the story drags you in and demands that you pay attention. It's perfection.

The only flaw I found with it was of course that it ended but that is usually what happens with a good book. ( )
  magickislife | Dec 29, 2015 |
Raven is trained as a reaper; one who assassinates people, but must save a life for every one taken. She lives in a world with steam-powered horses and other devices. Raven is on her way into town to fulfill her debt and ask the man she loves to marry her. When out-of-control steam horses fly by her carrying a young boy, Raven springs to action saving his life. The young boy ends up being a baron, Darius, but one that is cursed. Now Raven will have to protect the Darius and find a way to lift the curse with the help of the Woods Witch. With the Captain of the Guard

Chronicles of Steele: Raven is exciting and fast-paced, filled with suspense and danger. Raven's character is awesome, her training as a reaper makes her fierce and independent. I loved that a lot of her skill is showcased as she is running from the Guard and protecting Darius. It was sweet to see the relationship between Raven and Darius grow and to see Raven's softer side. I am also intrigued by Darius' condition. It will be interesting to see if it is a gift or a curse. Suspense builds as Raven is just always one step ahead of the Guard. I liked learning more about Raven's back story and her skills. Another mystery is introduced with the appearance of life-like automatons in the southern part of the country and danger as everyone discovers just how the Wood's Witch plans to eradicate the curse from Darius. The ending had the perfect touch of romance, but still leaves some questions to be answered; hopefully with Chronicles of Steele: Darius!

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | Oct 26, 2014 |

Pauline Creeden is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible