Finding Haven by T.A. Foster

Finding Haven

by T.A. Foster

511,436,638 (4)None

Fresh out of college, Haven Owen is working off her student debt at the family general store on a small North Carolina island. Evan Carlson is the most eligible bachelor in America, driving away from the limelight until he runs out of road and ends up on a ferry to Perry Island. When Haven's co-worker, Travis, suddenly quits, Evan, posing as reclusive writer, Jay, steps in to take his place. Evan and Haven begin a summer romance that is headed for trouble.

Plot
The plot centers around the romance between Haven and Jay/Evan. Even though they've from very different worlds, they click on this remote island where no one seems to know who Evan really is. It's an idyllic environment for love to blossom and it does, until Evan is discovered and Haven finds out he's been lying to her all along. There are a couple of good subplots involving Haven's family and Jay's ex-girlfriend, Emmy Harper, America's sweetheart. The only real problem I had with the story, what kept this from being five stars, is that it's lacking in conflict. There is some, but not nearly enough for my tastes.

World Building
T.A. Foster does an excellent job of creating a small, southern island complete with Airstream campers on the beach and a general store that sells beer and souvenirs while renting kayaks and fishing poles. The world of Perry Island came alive for me, and I could visualize it all. That's one of the few parts of the country I've never been to, but after reading Finding Haven, I feel as if I've visited for a short while.

Characters
Haven and Evan are pretty typical for the leads in a contemporary romance, but the supporting characters are as varied as they come. Everyone from Jay's campground neighbor, Charlotte, to Haven's family, and Travis the surfer, are interesting and developed enough to not be stereotypical. They exist in the story for a purpose and they do it well, even if it's just comic relief.

Top Five Things I Enjoyed About Finding Haven
1. Travis. He's a good guy with a heart and I like how his relationship with Haven evolved over the summer.

2. Hurricane Harper. Aptly named, it sweeps across the island causing just enough damage to make things challenging without being devastating.

3. Haven's Family Dynamic. There's a lot going on in her small family and it is responsible for the bulk of the conflict in the story.

4. Silver Belle. The campground where Evan stays sounds exactly like a place I'd love to vacation.

5. Cowboy Steaks. I had no idea these were a real thing until I Googled them. Now I need to try one.

Bottom Line
Finding Haven is a sweet romance set on a balmy island. It's a perfect, light summer beach read.

Disclaimer
I was provided with a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  THHernandez | Feb 10, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,379,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible