Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton

Little Black Lies

by Sharon Bolton

Little Black Lies is a story about the Falkland Islands and the children who are suddenly disappearing. It is a intensely plotted story with fascinating characters. The three main characters, Catrin, Rachel and Callum have alternating chapters with their viewpoint of what is happening on the island. These three characters are linked because of the tragedy. The story is all about secrets and lies and is a real page-turner until the very surprise ending. The book is well-researched and I enjoyed learning all the interesting facts about the Falkland Islands and it's history. I'm looking forward to reading more of Bolton's books and I highly recommend this book to those who love psychological thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Jul 4, 2017 |
Very interesting read. The book is broken into three parts, each told from a main character's POV. While I dislike when every chapter changes POV, I most definitely liked the POV in three very large chunks. Spending long periods with each character gave you a deep sense of their particular POV. I also enjoyed the setting of the Falkland Islands, an area and history that I didn't know anything about. The mystery itself - very well done. It's one of those books where someone, or everyone, seems to be lying, but you are never really sure who it is. Though, I must warn - there is a very disturbing animal scene that lasts forever. I had to skip more than an entire chapter. ( )
  Kathl33n | Jul 4, 2017 |
Wordy. About 100pgs too wordy, in my opinion. I didn't care for the way the story was told either. I know it's sounds like a bunch of complaints, it's just that I bought into all the rave reviews and it just didn't stand up to the hype for me. A case of expectations too high.

3yrs ago Rachel is babysitting Catrin's boys, Ned and Kit, when she leaves them in the car alone and they manage send the car over the cliff killing them both. Catrin wrought with grief will never be the same. Now children keep turning up missing on the island and no one knows what to think.

We got to hear the same story - the.same.story. - from 3 different view points: Catrin, Callum (who Vince Vaughn should play if a movie is ever made) and Rachel.

The book lost me around 75%. I was getting bored. I started to skim. When I start to skim in the attempts to end the book quicker that's a bad sign. Spoiler:

[I didn't buy into Callum's confession either, I thought it was a bit ridiculous to be honest. Let's see. Callum confessed to hitting and killing a 3yr old with his truck, wrapping his lifeless body in a blanket, putting him in a gun case (or something) in the back of his truck and then driving him to the top of a cliff where he threw the child over - all because he recognized his footprint and found his blanket on the beach. And oh, he also found a skeleton... A SKELETON. He threw the child 2 days ago, he wouldn't be 'skeletonized' yet, duh. Are you for real? That's a lot of details to confess to when you don't remember a SINGLE one of them. I mean really, who does that? (hide spoiler)]

And then the very last sentence, you're thrown one. more. bone. Did you predict that? I sure didn't. ( )
  Sharn | Mar 26, 2017 |
Wow. Where do I start? The incredible setting? The fantastic characters? Or, more simply, the blow your mind plot? This is by far the best book I’ve read this year.
Catrin and Rachel used to be friends, the best of friends until Rachel accidently killed her two sons. Now Catrin spends her days protecting the fragile environment of the Falkland Islands where they both live and her nights parked outside Rachel’s house planning how she can destroy her. Then a child goes missing, then another and then a third. On an Island where everyone knows everything about everybody how can a killer possibly hide?
That’s all I shall say about the plot but the questions it throws up are gut wrenching. Is it better to be guilty or bereaved? How do you live with yourself when you lose everything? How do you live with yourself when you take everything from someone you love? The story is told in three parts first from Catrin’s viewpoint then Callum’s and finally Rachel’s, building to a stunning conclusion that literally took my breath away.
However it’s not just the plot that I enjoyed. As a child of the eighties I remember the Falklands War well. Even though it happened thousands of miles away it felt very close and personal as a British person and to read a novel set on the Islands was wonderful. Callum as an ex-serviceman suffering from PTSD was a superb character and really bought the horrors of the war to life. The sense of space and isolation added an almost surreal element to the plot at times and I found myself yearning to live somewhere no one locks their doors and everyone waves when passing on the roads.
For me this book just had a combination of perfect elements and it is now the only book I have ever read with my kindle plugged into the wall as I had worn out the battery because I couldn’t put it down. Amazing.
  angelaoatham | Feb 21, 2017 |
I have to think about this book for a few days before I write my review. To be continued... ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Ah! well a-day! what evil looks Had I from old and young!Instead of the cross, the Albatross About my neck was hung. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
For Anne Marie, who was the first to tell me I could do it; and for Sarah, who makes me do it better.
I’ve been wondering if I have what it takes to kill. Whether I can look a living creature in the eye and take the one irreversible action that ends a life. Asked and answered, I suppose. I have no difficulty in killing. I’m actually rather good at it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 059306920X, Hardcover)

A twisty, up-all-night standalone thriller from the highly acclaimed author of the Lacey Flint series.
     Three confessions. Two liars. One killer.

Three friends have had their lives ripped apart. Their pasts haunt them. They are consumed by guilt. And they don't trust anyone. Not even themselves.

But in their small, isolated, island community, trust is the only way to survive.

Now a child has gone missing.

And no one knows who to believe.

There can only be one killer. So why are three people confessing to the same crime?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,094,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible