At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

At the Water's Edge

by Sara Gruen

From the author of "Water for Elephants" comes another captivating novel. Madeline Hyde's life is pampered and privileged. She spends all of her time living the good life beside her husband Ellis and his constant companion Hank. New Year's Eve 1944 will change her world. Ellis and Hank were rejected for service in WWII because of medical conditions. Now they are out to prove their bravery and clear Ellis's father's name. Colonel Hyde was once world famous for his photographs of the Loch Ness monster until his work was decried as a hoax. Now Ellis and Hank hatch a plan to find the monster and get the proof that they need to find their own fame and fortune. They drag Maddie across the ocean and into the war torn world of Scotland. The trio’s quest twists and turns and the truths they seek may not be the truths they find. This book has it all: romance, adventure, and mystery. I couldn’t put it down!

Bettina P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
It seems I am at the opposite end of the spectrum where I enjoyed At the Water's Edge much more than I liked Water for Elephants, but of course, I am currently going through a Scotland phase. And I am always going through a WWII phase.

This novel was a great example of storytelling and I was hooked from the first page. It didn't take a few chapters to get into it for, I was enjoying the story from the start. The story just flows so well and I found this to be one of those books that I had a very hard time putting down for any length of time.

The three characters in the beginning: Maddie, Hank, and Ellis, while not exactly "likable", where still entertaining to read about. I really felt as though Maddie did redeem herself by the end and all of the Scotland characters where great!

The only flaw I really found was with the romance itself. Not very realistic and super rushed. The romance was not the focal point of this novel, however, so I was able to look past it and still highly enjoy this novel.

kelleylizak | Aug 29, 2017 |
Jumbled storyline, emotions and things thrown in for whatever reason. I finished reading to see which predictable ending the author would choose. Two and a half stars. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Madeline Hyde, the rich, spoiled socialite and her similarly privileged husband, were thrown out of his family home with a reduced allowance. Oh, poor dears. Better order another bottle of champagne.

A search for the Loch Ness monster combined with a WWII setting, sounded like a good read. Despite a terrible beginning, I stayed with it, hoping for improvement. With about 30 pages left, I've had enough.

I read this to fill a challenge over at the Category Challenge group, otherwise I would have abandoned it much earlier. ( )
  VivienneR | Jul 27, 2017 |
The reviews that I had read about this book made me think I would be disappointed. Nothing is further from the truth, I loved listening to this story by Sara Gruen. I had read Water for Elephants and I loved this even more. The historical background, WWII, in wilds of Scotland, the characters living there, it was all perfect.

Maddie and her new husband, Ellis come to Scotland on a mission. Elllis planned to back the favor of father who had cut him off financially . So they took a ship with Ellis longtime friend, to search. The only thing that his father had been a failure at in his life.

Maddie came from a well to do family, was sheltered and trained to be dependent upon others. She is very unhappy and feels unloved. But what happened in Scotland changed her life entirely. She found herself, realized that dangerous reality of her marriage and took control of her life.

This book is one of the very few that I would not hesitate to re-visit. It had everything, comedy,drama and very memorable scenes. The narrator was wonderful, very talented. This book, it is now one of my favorites. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jul 14, 2017 |
One Crow for sorrow, Two Crows for mirth, Three Crows for a wedding, Four Crows for a birth, Five Crows for silver, Six Crows for gold, Seven for a secret, never to be told.
For Bob, 'S tusa gradh mo bheatha
Drumnadrochit, February 28, 1942
But what I had learned over the past year was that monsters abound, usually hiding in plain sight.

In this new novel from the author of Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen again demonstrates her talent for creating spellbinding period pieces. In At the Water’s Edge, she tells the gripping and poignant story of a privileged young woman’s moral and sexual awakening as she experiences the devastations of World War II in a Scottish Highland village.

Madeline Hyde, a young socialite from Philadelphia, reluctantly follows her husband and their best friend to the tiny village of Drumnadrochit in search of the Loch Ness monster—at the same time that a very real monster, Hitler, wages war against the Allied Forces. Despite German warplanes flying overhead and scarce food rations (and even scarcer stockings), what Maddie discovers—about the larger world and about herself—through the unlikely friendships she develops with the villagers, opens her eyes not only to the dark forces that exist around her but to the beauty and surprising possibilities as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

While her brother, Ellis, and his friend try to find the Loch Ness monster in an attempt to get back into her father's good graces, Maddie is left on her own in World War II-era Scotland and experiences a social awakening.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sara Gruen's book At the Water's Edge was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,426,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible