Bones & All: A Novel by Camille DeAngelis

Bones & All: A Novel

by Camille DeAngelis

Great premise! Great start to the book. Enjoyable through most of it...then a few 'oh, I saw that coming, wished it hadn't' crept in and added a more formulaic feel to the story. The main character and her story I think could have easily stood on it's own. ( )
  Mike_O | Jul 7, 2017 |
I received this copy through St Martin's Griffin Publicity in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my opinion.

I found myself intrigued by the premise of the plot and drawn in through the first few sentences. The story about a cannibal who breathes among us- feeling guilty and wants to stop- made me want to read more and more. I liked how the characters played out. A mother's unconditional love and limits, gender differences between the cannibal friends/foes. Female character is drawn to people whom she receives attention from. She also feels guilty from her actions and feels sorry for the victims. Male character is drawn to mean people and does not dwell on his actions. Maybe it was because there wasn't enough characters to make this conclusion. But I thought it is very smart since gender difference effects our decisions.

I did not care much for the Sully character. Also it was weird he kept on popping out of everywhere.

I didn't expect or hope for this ending. But I know this is how it supposed to end: in real life, endings do not surprise.

soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
A haunting look into the life of a poor young woman who is left to fend for herself at the age of sixteen, due to her secret proclivities. Will this odd duck find a place in this world filled with swans?

I don’t know if you can read between the lines when there’s only one sentence, but I could read all the things she hadn’t said clearly enough.
-Camille DeAngelis (Bones and All p 6)
We outcasts had a way of organizing ourselves into concentric circles, so kids like Stuart could feel bad for someone like me on the very outer fringe and feel relieved that they weren’t on it.
-Camilla DeAngelis (Bones and All p 38)
Eventually I realized something. Whenever you tell yourself, This time will be different, it’s as good as a promise that it’ll turn out the same as it always has.
-Camilla DeAngelis (Bones and All p 39)
I understood now why the smell of laundry soap was so comforting: Things couldn’t be too hopeless if somebody was still bothering to wash the sheets.
-Camilla DeAngelis (Bones p 62)
“Then you never made friends with novels.” “I guess I just don’t see the point of it. All the things they used to tell us in school, how we should read all these books and do all these things to better ourselves. Like learning bigger words makes you a better person.” “It’s not about that.” “There’s no point. I can’t better myself.” “But that’s not why I read. When I read a book I can be somebody else. For two or three hundred pages I can have the problems of a normal person—even if that person is traveling through time or fighting with aliens. I need books. They’re all I’ve got.” He looked at me then like he felt sorry for me.
-Camilla DeAngelis (Bones and All p 143-4) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Aug 8, 2016 |
ABR's original Bones & All audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Being a young adult horror novel, something that I have never listened to before, my interests were piqued immediately. I had high hopes for this story even though the reviews for the print version are widely mixed.

Maren is an ordinary girl by every respect except one. When she loves someone she has an uncontrollable drive to eat them, yes as in consume them. This is something that she hides and thinks about quite often. She told her mother only out of necessity. Maren’s mother is a good one, I guess, in the sense that she just wants to protect her daughter from the fallout that would come from eating people. Being ready to move and the drop of a hat, having all of their belongings fit into one suitcase each.

If you are standoffish about looking further in to Bones and All because it is a horror story, just know that the horror aspect and the gore that would come along with eating people is mostly implied and not described in detail.

Most of the story follows Maren on a quest to figure out why she is like the way she is. And she just so happens to eat a few people along the way. She also finds others, including a lover, that are like her who join her on her quest for the truth.

DeAngelis is an amazing writer. Creating a unique story that wraps around your imagination making the reader fill in all of the blank spots. Unfortunately, for me, my attention waned. This a drama story through and through, not action packed, in fact there was nothing particularly exciting or eventful at all. I wanted more. I never felt any connection with any of the characters.

I think that some people with absolutely fall in love with the story. While others will be more like me.

I found Julia Knippen’s performance here to be absolutely amazing. If you are not familiar with her voice, it sounds very young and fit in with DeAngelis young character set very well. Knippen even makes the male characters stand out from Maren and the other females. She did her best with what she had to work with to keep the listener engaged and my faults had nothing to due with her performance or the production quality of this book.

Audiobook provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Sep 21, 2015 |
I scanned the other reviews for_ Bones & All_ before writing this because I honestly felt torn. This book started out with such promise, and there were wonderful creepy moments along the way. The last quarter of the book, however, lost me. It dragged, and, while I ALWAYS read the acknowledgements, I wish I had skipped them this time. Leave this as a creepy story of the unlovable, and skip the vegan agenda - it was lost in the story anyway.

Maren is a cannibal (or ghoul if you want to get technical). Her condition is discovered by her mother after finding the remains of toddler-Maren's babysitter, and Mom moves them to a new town essentially every year, once Maren has done "the bad thing" again. On her 16th birthday, Mom abandons Maren, leaving behind a note and her birth certificate.

At this point, I am all in!

Through memories, we are given glimpses of Maren's victims. Like all "monsters", Maren has rule - essentially, guidelines about who you eat. This is fascinating, and brings us closer to a piece of horror than an anthropological discussion. All of Maren's victims share a similar trait; each tries to love her.

So, from here, we can see where the story is going. It isn't difficult to decipher, but it was initially exciting to see the path Maren would take on her journey of self-discovery, particularly in light of her revelation that she is not the one and only "eater" out there.

Themes of the monstrous and unlovable are front and center, as are similar considerations brought up by vigilante characters; "Am I doing good for the world by my actions?" Ultimately, however, we are given too many examples of characters "opting out" of life to believe that happiness and a life (beyond basic survival) is possible in the long run ( )
  Debra_Armbruster | Apr 21, 2015 |

"Since she was a baby, Maren has had serious trouble accepting affection. Any time someone gets too close to her, she's overcome by the desire to eat them. Abandoned by her mother the day after her sixteenth birthday, Maren goes looking for the father she has never known, but finds much more than she bargained for along the way. Faced with a world of fellow eaters, potential enemies, and the prospect of love, Maren realizes she isn't only looking for her father, she is looking for herself. The real question is: will she like who she finds?"--Publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,265,484 books! | Top bar: Always visible