The Other Side of Midnight by Simone St.…

The Other Side of Midnight

by Simone St. James

1019119,589 (3.9)11

What's It About?
London, 1925. Glamorous medium Gloria Sutter made her fortune helping the bereaved contact loved ones killed during the Great War. Now she's been murdered at one of her own séances, after leaving a message requesting the help of her former friend and sole rival, Ellie Winter.

Ellie doesn't contact the dead—at least, not anymore. She specializes in miraculously finding lost items. Still, she can't refuse the final request of the only other true psychic she has known. Now Ellie must delve into Gloria's secrets and plunge back into the world of hucksters, lowlifes, and fakes. Worse, she cannot shake the attentions of handsome James Hawley, a damaged war veteran who has dedicated himself to debunking psychics.

What Did I Think?
Another great read by this very talented author. I believe that this was the most original and interesting of her books thus far...and I think I've read almost all of them and gave them very high ratings. The characters of Ellie, the physic and James, the shell-shock vet, were simply made for one another. The information about mediums and seances seemed to be well researched. I didn't realize that these seance "parties" were so popular in England and the U.S. after WWI. Overall the supernatural aspects were well written and the main plot is a solid "who done it" mystery. We have a good cop...an old adversary who becomes an ally... and several more interesting characters who add to the story line. This book will appeal to everyone that loves a good mystery even if they are skeptical about the supernatural. ( )
  Carol420 | Jul 26, 2017 |
The Other Side of Midnight is quite unlike St. James' first two books (The Haunting of Maddie Claire and An Inquiry Into Love and Death). The same elements are all still there, but re-arranged. This is a much more traditionally structured murder mystery, with ghosts but no hauntings, and a slow burn romance. St. James remains within the genre, but proves she can write a very compelling story without falling back on cookie-cutter story structures.

St. James' male characters always include WWI veterans. They are not glamorised or glorified, but all are working to manage their new realities. Sometimes they are beautiful; sometimes interesting looking, but they are all broken or damaged or scarred in some way or another. That you are in post-war England in the 20's is inescapable.

Ellie was odd at first; early on, the author pulls out some foreshadowing that made me think Ellie was going to be a whingin' engine, something that wasn't going to endear me to the character or the book. Thankfully, no whinging came to pass. I'm not sure I have any idea of Ellie as a character, but I don't think she had much idea of who she was either, even by the end, so maybe that was the point. The building romance between her and James though, that was excellent. The author gave the feels without giving a show; not many can do that and make it work.

As I mentioned earlier; no hauntings, but lots of ghosts. And they're disturbing. Ellie describes seeing them as:

"'Like plunging your hands into a bucket of worms in the dark,' I said. 'Except it's inside your mind. It's repellent, and cold, and you don't know what you're touching because you can't see–you don't know what it looks like, and you don't want to know.'"

So, still a high creep factor, but I could read this sitting alone at night in an empty house with a minimum of nervous paranoia.

The mystery, which is at the forefront of this book, is really well plotted. A tiny bit out-there, but comparatively feasible given the backdrop. I never had a clue about who the murderer was. I knocked off the last half-star because part of the plot was too tidy: timing of events, leaps of intuition that were just too lucky - or unlucky. The fuel for this train of events relied too heavily on coincidence, but the story was strong enough to compensate for most of it.

I remain a firm fan of Simone St. James' work. So far, she's 3 for 3 and I'm really looking forward to the remaining two I have in the stacks. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 16, 2016 |
What a very enjoyable book. Set in 1925 London, Ellie Winter is a psychic who finds things, her friend Gloria is a person who talks to the dead, especially ones who died in the war. Gloria is murdered and she has asked Ellie, in a note, to find her on the other side. Gloria's brother soon arrives and asks Ellie to help him find Gloria's killer. Soon Ellie is teamed up with James who works for a company that tries to debunk psychics. Lots of action and suspense in the book. It's very enjoyable and I'm glad I won a copy in the Goodreads giveaway. Had I not, it would still have been on my to read list for a short time because it would have gone to the top of the list. I highly recommend this book if you want to be entertained. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
The setting of The Other Side Of Midnigh is London, 1925.
There are elements of romance, suspense and the supernatural in this haunting gothic-like stand alone.
Psychics, seances and spirits were commonplace since the sufferings of WWI were still fresh.
The desire to reach those beyond could be intense.

A medium called Gloria Sutter is murdered.
A message from Gloria surfaces requesting the help of her former friend and rival, Ellie Winter.
Ellie, who at present, simply finds lost items, must now honor Gloria's request.

The story intensifies as Ellie fearfully accepting her ability to see the dead and James Hawley, a damaged war verteran "who can't forget his experiences and his fallen comrades from the war" join forces.
They face their personal demons courageously as they pursue Gloria's murderer.

Simone St James' plot is, as usual, well crafted with attention to the details of her characters.
A good read. ( )
  pennsylady | Jun 11, 2016 |
George Sutter comes to psychic Ellie Winters for her help. His sister Gloria Sutter, who was also a psychic, has just been murdered. Gloria was at a house in the Kent countryside where she was holding a séance. She was stabbed to death and then dumped in a pond. But before Gloria died she left a message which said---"Tell Ellie Winters to find me". Ellie and Gloria were friends some years ago but they became rivals and drifted apart.

It seems Ellie can see the dead---something she never liked or wants to do. Instead she helps people find things (items people have lost.) Ellie's mother was a popular/well-known psychic, named The Fantastique, who held séances, and contacted the dead. After she died, Ellie took her name and became The Fantastique, but she still just helps people "find things" since she dislikes doing séances. But Ellie can't turn down this last request from a former friend. So she begins talking to Gloria's friends, and people who knew her. With the help of handsome blond James Hawley, a psychical researcher who works for the "New Society", they try to find some answers and solve Gloria's murder.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the storyline, with the psychics, séances, murders, ghosts---plus a slight romance between James and Ellie. I loved the twenties time period, and the London locations. This book had some really spooky/creepy moments and a great atmosphere. Ellie was a strong, and sometimes outspoken, heroine. There were also many interesting secondary characters. This was a very good and captivating read! I look forward to reading more books by Simone St. James. ( )
  SandraLynne | Jan 19, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451419499, Paperback)

As Ellie and James uncover the sinister mysteries of Gloria's life and death, Ellie is tormented by nightmarish visions that herald the grisly murders of those in Gloria's circle. And as Ellie’s uneasy partnership with James turns dangerously intimate, an insidious evil force begins to undermine their quest for clues, a force determined to bury the truth, and whoever seeks to expose it...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:27 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible