The Black Lizard Big Book of Locked-Room…

The Black Lizard Big Book of Locked-Room Mysteries (Vintage Crime/Black… (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Otto Penzler (Author)

The Most Complete Collection of Impossible Crime Stories Ever Assembled, with puzzling mysteries byStephen King, Dashiell Hammett, Lawrence Block, Agatha Christie, Georges Simenon, Dorothy L. Sayers, P. G. Wodehouse, Erle Stanley Gardner, and many, many more THE BLACK LIZARD BIG BOOK OF LOCKED-ROOM MYSTERIES: An empty desert, a lonely ski slope, a gentleman's study, an elevator car--nowhere is a crime completely impossible. Featuring Unconventional means of murder Pilfered jewels Shocking solutions Includes Edgar Allan Poe's "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", the first detective story and the first locked-room mystery Masters of the short story form: Edward D. Hoch, Ellery Queen, Carter Dickson, and Stanley Ellin A VINTAGE CRIME/BLACK LIZARD ORIGINAL.… (more)
Member:Ebenmaessiger
Title:The Black Lizard Big Book of Locked-Room Mysteries (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard Original)
Authors:Otto Penzler (Author)
Info:Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2014), Edition: First Edition, 960 pages

The Black Lizard Big Book of Locked-Room Mysteries by Otto Penzler (2014)

"The Problem of Cell 13," by Jacques Futurelle (1905): 8.25
- Stupid to struggle with formula in an anthology of this kind, but these pieces have their own standards and expectations--and clear points of literary UNconcern-- that are quite different from even other types of 'genre' fiction. Namely, this takes the common sobriquet of “literature for engineers in a completely different,” yet equally valid, direction, in that it literally is a puzzle box and that's not detrimental, but the whole point, and if you can learn to view it through that lens then it has its own pleasures quite distinct from other genre work but equally as rewarding, again if you're along for that type of enjoyment. This story is old, and near enough to exactly what I'd imagine the ideal of the "locked room mystery" to be as to maybe have spawned the name itself, who knows: superhuman intuiter and logician Macguyvers his way out of a jail cell. How'd he do it? stick around to see. Whether or not the way this one acted as a template for most of what follows or a base from which the others diverge, I guess we'll wait and see. A small point, and far from what our author wanted an audience to take from this, but I did like a very slight, even if unintended, Point at which we were given access to anxiety or fallibility In our narrator and his perception of the possibility of failure.

"A Terribly Strange Bed," by Wilkie Collins (1852): 9.5
- I have entered a place of (unearned?) charity towards older stories, towards their prose, towards even the smallest semblance of humanity in their characterizations, so small as to be laughably dismissed in any contemporary stories. And there's nothing I can do about it. And I'm not quite mad about it, either; I mean, of course not. Outside of maintaining the fidelity of the "ranking" system I've established here, why in the world should I feel upset about an uptick in joy at reading a story? Or, as is much more likely the case, I've simply read some stories by James Cain and E.T.A. Hoffmann and Wilkie Collins and have measured them accurately. This especially, and it seems to have a bit in common with Cain, in the old way of talking about criminal evil, so to speak. In that, it's a remorseless, uncharitable description of the kind, unlikely to find redemption or good or cause in the act and the perpetrators -- it is, therefore, all the more terrible for it, even if, as here, that lack of charity is undeniably classed, and the otherness of the perps tracks comfortably along the otherness of the oppositely classed. Oh well, as here, the story of a big-winner gambler, slowly realizing that he's trapped in a "House of Murder," where the bed is primed to smother him, has moments of true tension beyond the best of what I've read thus far (and even that prolonged, strangely anti-climactic denouement was intriguing, in the 'let's look at the preoccupations of the past' way). Yes.
  Ebenmaessiger | Oct 9, 2019 |
library copy ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,927,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible