Ravine Volume 2 TP by Stjepan Sejic

Ravine Volume 2 TP

by Stjepan Sejic

This is the second book in the Ravine graphic novel series and it was very well done. I absolutely love the illustration throughout and am also enjoying the characters a lot.

The evil Nebezial is still trying to control dragons and take over everything. Stein and Lynn de Luctes are mostly ignorant as to these doings and end up on a journey to the town of Wade. Here Stein hopes to fix his runeglass and get some winter gear so that him and Lynn can continue on their journey. Bonus stories about the Duchess of Corredon and about how Stein helped Peter free the city of Wade are included at the end of the novel.

Much of this novel is dedicated to Lynn and Stein traveling together and learning how to trust each other in the trials ahead. We learn a lot about Stein’s past and some of his strangeness and also learn more of Lynn’s background. Meanwhile caravans are being attacked by dragons and the Palladian King sends Antheus and Arthur to try and track down the source of these attacks.

I really enjoy the characters of Lynn and Stein; the dialogue between the two is fun and snarky. I love that they both have complex pasts and histories. The illustration really adds to the story; it is incredibly detailed, has amazing color, and the characters are given wonderful facial expressions. In fact the facial expressions on the characters in here really stand out and add a lot to the story.

My only complaint is that this story jumps around a lot. It would have been nice to have a little bubble letting you know when you were switch places/POVs. Occasionally there is a bubble letting you know you are switching location, but it’s inconsistent. There is an index of character names/pictures in the back; I wish this had been in the front because I was struggling to remember who everyone was and then I got to the back and was like “Ah ha! This would have been really helpful before I read the story!”

Overall this was another incredibly beautiful and entertaining installment in the Ravine series. I love the fantasy setting and the complex character in here. I also really love the unique and beautiful illustration style. I would definitely recommend to those who enjoy fantasy graphic novels. Now I can’t wait for the third one to release! ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 12, 2016 |
The epic fantasy Ravine gets bigger in “Volume 2” as Stjepan Sejic delves into the background of one of his primary characters, one whose anti-hero past is both dark and surprisingly light. Not only does Sejic grow the scale in the story “proper” but his appendix entries makes one wish he had the chance to draw them in epic art instead of prose.

Stein and Lynn join together in their journeys out of Palladia into the territory of the city-state of Wade during which Lynn comes to like the Wanderer, though Stein only tells his traveling companion half-truths about his life while avoiding the darker patches of his personal history. Meanwhile Lynn’s true past surprises and/or angers members of her former Dragoon squad who are sent to meet up in Wade. However Stein’s previous actions and his dark past have him being followed by the Captain of the King’s personal guard who along with a former rural guard-turned-travelling companion interact with someone close to Stein, how they are connected is easily guessed and later confirmed in the appendix tales. The end of the volume has Stein and Lynn facing off with a insane dragonrider terrorizing the trading routes in and around Wade and Palladia, the encounter makes the reader want to see more.

Unfortunately for readers who love both Volumes of Ravine with Sejic’s magnificent art and great storytelling, Volume 2 did not sell well and thus Sejic had to put this series on hold after waiting 11 years to publish this story. If you enjoyed Ravine as much as I do then I encourage you to spread the news about how great Ravine is and get a following for it so Sejic can be able to publish more of this story in the future. ( )
  mattries37315 | Oct 24, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible