At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales…

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror {4 stories} (1936)

by H.P. Lovecraft

Recently added byMaraBlaise, private library, LT_Ammar, WonderlandGrrl, jerry-book, SeanMay, dustydigger, AmieB7
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna

I wasn't keen on this. I found the language overly scientific in order to create a response and the 'terror' was badly described. I won't be recommending it. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
During the first half of the this book I was tempted to give it a four star, but the second half of the book lowered that rating. The suspense in the beginning was great but then the book seemed to drag by. If you're not a biologist or familiar with the terms of biology this book might go over your head. Even I had trouble with some of the words, so I can't imagine what a reader with no background in biology would feel reading this. The book is supposed to be horror but it was not all at scary. Perhaps in it's day and age in the 1930s it might have been. I did enjoy the biological premise but like most books written in the 20th century, the prose and I did not like each other all that much. But, as my first book by Lovecraft, it does make me think I might peruse other works from this author. ( )
  Kassilem | Oct 10, 2015 |
Imagine a museum walk-through of the Old Ones within the Cthulhu mythos. It is not Lovecraft's best story, but it is still a macabre, literary masterpiece. ( )
  revslick | Nov 6, 2014 |
Excellent, as expected. Despite the fame of At the Mountains of Madness, my favorite tale was actually The Dreams in the Witch-House. Lovecraft has built an intricate, fascinating universe and this tale affords glimpses into multiple pieces of that universe. ( )
  The_Kat_Cache | Aug 13, 2014 |
Contains the eponymous story, Lovecraft at his best, and three others, all fairly good. Randolph Carter makes an appearance, although he isn't a dreamer, and one story takes place entirely in Arkham.
4 stars on oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
This collection contains 4 stories ("At the Mountains of Madness", "The Shunned House", "The Dreams in the Witch-House", and "The Statement of Randolph Carter") and SHOULD NOT BE COMBINED with other, differing collections.

Contents:

At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Statement of Randolph Carter

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345329457, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:27 -0400)

A complete short novel, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is a tale of terror unilke any other. The Barren, windswept interior of the Antarctic plateau was lifeless--or so the expedition from Miskatonic University thought. Then they found the strange fossils of unheard-of creatures...and the carved stones tens of millions of years old...and, finally, the mind-blasting terror of the City of the Old Ones. Three additional strange tales, written as only H.P. Lovecraft can write, are also included in this macabre collection of the strange and the weird.… (more)

43 wanted25 pay12 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,256,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible