At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales…

At the Mountains of Madness and Other Tales of Terror {4 stories} (1936)

by H. P. Lovecraft

1,312235,929 (3.95)None

Imagine a museum walk-through of the Old Ones within the Cthulhu mythos. It is not Lovecraft's best story, but it is still a macabre, literary masterpiece. ( )
  revslick | Nov 6, 2014 |
Excellent, as expected. Despite the fame of At the Mountains of Madness, my favorite tale was actually The Dreams in the Witch-House. Lovecraft has built an intricate, fascinating universe and this tale affords glimpses into multiple pieces of that universe. ( )
  The_Kat_Cache | Aug 13, 2014 |
Contains the eponymous story, Lovecraft at his best, and three others, all fairly good. Randolph Carter makes an appearance, although he isn't a dreamer, and one story takes place entirely in Arkham.
4 stars on oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
Erudite, lucid, & profound, several stories in this volume are remarkable, but "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" stands out entirely - perhaps the best tale of horror/urban fantasy ever written, certainly the most intelligently repulsive. ( )
  nielspeterqm | Jul 6, 2014 |
To be clear.. I only read the story 'At the Mountains of Madness'

The best part about this book was the brevity. I also enjoyed the title itself... so dramatic. I think that I probably just don't appreciate Lovecraft's style of writing. I was bored. There were sections of the book that I kept thinking, 'Have I seen this movie?' The beginning - especially when it's discovered that Lake's team has been slaughtered - feels very reminiscent of something that I've seen.

Anyway - the book. It felt slow and the lack of description of actual events made it tedious. Maybe just not my style. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
This collection contains 4 stories ("At the Mountains of Madness", "The Shunned House", "The Dreams in the Witch-House", and "The Statement of Randolph Carter") and SHOULD NOT BE COMBINED with other, differing collections.

Contents:

At the Mountains of Madness
The Shunned House
The Dreams in the Witch-House
The Statement of Randolph Carter

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345329457, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:05:58 -0400)

A complete short novel, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is a tale of terror unilke any other. The Barren, windswept interior of the Antarctic plateau was lifeless--or so the expedition from Miskatonic University thought. Then they found the strange fossils of unheard-of creatures...and the carved stones tens of millions of years old...and, finally, the mind-blasting terror of the City of the Old Ones. Three additional strange tales, written as only H.P. Lovecraft can write, are also included in this macabre collection of the strange and the weird.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible