An Exhibit of Madness by Kerry J. Charles
.mystery - historical (1) art (1) Boston (1) coast (1) cozy (1) crime fiction (1) detective (1) Dulcie Chambers (1) ebook (1) English (1) fiction (1) G14 (1) K (1) Maine (2) museum (1) mystery (2) Portland (2) romance (1) to-read (4) USA (1) | 2009 (1)

This was an enjoyable read and it has enticed me to read the following books. If there was one minor issue (perhaps just for my personal taste) I would have preferred for the crime to have been presented sooner. It seemed easily a third or more of the way into the book (I am not sure, so maybe I am wrong)before it became a murder mystery. That said, the extended background of that part of the book may well be a big reason I feel invested in the characters, so in that respect it serves well as a first book to a series. I do indeed care about the characters. Definitely worth reading. ( )
  pomo58 | Feb 21, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this little 'who dunnit' and can't wait to read the rest of the series. It is a gentle read but quickly enough paced which kept me entertained from beginning to end. There were some obvious suspects from the beginning but I had to keep reading to the end to discover the right one!
I loved the characters of Dulcie and Nick and will definitely be following their investigations. ( )
  Inishowen_Cailin | Nov 30, 2014 |
I got the e-book as a Member Giveaway on LibraryThing.

This short novel takes you to Portland Maine and leads you into the world of art and art sponsorship. When one of the sponsors obviously gets murdered and a Winslow Homer painting goes missing, the slow pace of the first pages soon turns into a detective novel with several suspects and an exciting pursuit.

The main characters (Dr Dulcie Chambers, the curator, and Nick Black, the detective) are likable and believable, and the side characters are authentic (eg. Mrs Whipple). On the other hand, there is also the stereotype greedy “man-eating” niece.

I liked the novel and it made me want to learn more about Winslow Homer, the Maine based painter, and his oeuvre. Looking forward to reading more about Dulcie and Nick. ( )
  Mariul | Nov 17, 2014 |
I liked this story. Dulcie is an interesting, believable character, the art world she inhabits is interesting. There is a bare hint of future romance. The mystery takes precedence and survives well up to the denouement. An enjoyable read. ( )
  JaiW | Nov 17, 2014 |

Dr. Dulcinea ("Dulcie") Chambers has a lot on her mind. She's just opened a new exhibit of Winslow Homer watercolors at the Maine Museum of Art where she's Chief Curator. The exhibit will be complete when the museum's director, the urbane Joshua Harriman, buys the final piece at auction. But when Dulcie discovers a body where the painting should have been, she's one of the primary suspects. Portland Police Detective Nicholas Black is on the case but finds he is less than objective when it comes to the attractive Dr. Chambers.

From the author:
In literature and film, Maine has long been associated with mystery, mayhem, and murder. Think Steven King, Jessica Fletcher, or Dark Shadows. Most often these stories are set in coastal villages, inland towns, or even Maine’s great outdoors. I wanted Dulcie Chambers to live in a different kind of Maine – a place that’s more cosmopolitan and urbane. Portland surely fits the bill, yet Dulcie can’t quite get away from the small town nature of the city (not to mention her own psyche), even while living and working in the downtown area. In fact, that just might be what she likes best.

Dr. Dulcinea (Dulcie) Chambers has a lot on her mind. She's just opened a new exhibit of Winslow Homer watercolors at the Maine Museum of Art, where she's the chief curator. The exhibit will be complete when the museum's director, the urbane Joshua Harriman, buys the final piece at auction. But when Dulcie discovers a body where the painting should have been, she's one of the primary suspects. Portland Police Detective Nicholas Black is on the case, but finds he is less than objective when it comes to the attractive Dr. Chambers. As a native, Dulcie is firmly rooted in Maine, but has risen to the top of the museum world quickly. She's confident in her work, but not in her skills at a cocktail party. She'd rather be at home with a good glass of wine and a book, not to mention a hearty portion of chicken fried rice. Nick grew up in the socialite-filled and privileged world of Boston's elite, groomed for a career in law. He jumped ship, much to his family's horror, and chose the life of a police detective instead. He hasn't looked back, and they won't forgive him. Piecing together clues while continuing to run a museum is not easy for Dulcie. When an attempt is made on her life, Nick knows that the situation is dire. Yet he has little experience with the art world, and must rely on Dulcie ??s knowledge and intuition. The missing painting must be the key, if only Dulcie and Nick could understand how.… (more)

Kerry J. Charles is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,400,176 books! | Top bar: Always visible