The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins

The Bone Labyrinth

by James Rollins

THE BONE LABYRINTH is book 11 in James Rollins Sigma Force series. The books can be read separately, but it can be easier to understand the story and the characters past stories if you have read the previous books.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!

*********

Oh, a new Sigma Force book out this summer winter!

MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
A war is coming, a battle that will stretch from the prehistoric forests of the ancient past to the cutting-edge research labs of today, all to reveal a true mystery buried deep within our DNA, a mystery that will leave life changed, forever. In the remote mountains of Croatia, an archaeologist makes a strange discovery: a subterranean Catholic chapel, hidden for centuries, holds the bones of a Neanderthal woman. In the same cavern system, elaborate primitive paintings tell the story of an immense battle between tribes of Neanderthals and monstrous shadowy figures. Who is this mysterious enemy depicted in these ancient drawings and what do the paintings mean?

Science fans will be absolutely fascinated with the premise that James Rollins brings to this book. Conspiracy theory fans will also be intrigued. At the end of this very long book, the author clarifies the scientific ideas he covers and notes what is reasonable and what is not.

I was hooked on this book from the first chapter due to the very interesting DNA research and the cave discovery. I couldn't stop reading...until the action switched to a different type 'action" that was interesting to begin with but chapter after chapter became dry and began to drag the story down. Now that is just my opinion...there are readers that will find that the most interesting part. It went back and forth from that point and became very confusing at times. My heart went out to one of the characters and that one really saved the book for me. It would have easily received 5 stars if it had remained more on the path that was started in the beginning. In the end I will just have to say it is certainly a book worth the time to read and everyone will more than likely find something that makes it a 5 star book for them. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 13, 2017 |
James Rollins combines an entertaining mix of pseudo-science, conspiracy theories, and history to weave a fantastical world that it is so tempting to believe. Artfully done. I picked up the phone and googled a few things while reading, interested in more info on the real stories behind his ideas. Fun stuff.

The story is fun and exciting, a good thriller adventure. Keeps the pages turning. I like how the military hero stuff wasn't too overdone as it is with some authors.

One criticism: It's getting a little old having people discover some fabulous place or treasure and constantly having it destroyed. Why does the ceiling always have to come literally crashing down at the end?

I like the part with the shrunken heads. That was fun. And I'm a big fan of Seichan and her character journey; it's the best in the Sigma series. Love that bad girl gone good; redemption arcs are great. It's good reason to read the entire Sigma Force series.

And, maybe it's me and my affinity for animals, but everything with Baako, the ape, tended to be the most moving part of the story. And, for that and another sentimental reason, the ending was a real punch in the gut, tear-jerking moment. Wasn't expecting such drama in the story. Well done, James. For prompting that much real emotion, I bumped my review from 4 to 5 stars.

Thanks for the book! :) ( )
  TimothyBaril | Jul 24, 2017 |
Another Consistently excellent book from Rollins - seamlessly blending fast paced fiction with cutting edge science and archaeology. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Very well written, as always by Rollins. My rating is based on my limited knowledge of, and limited interest in anthropology, astronomy and archaeology which are all involved in this complex story. I found the experiments with engineered genetics interesting if at times cruel. Heroes and villains battle throughout with lots of action. It's a must read if you are a Rollins fan. ( )
  ewhatley | Nov 4, 2016 |

"In this groundbreaking masterpiece of ingenuity and intrigue that spans 50,000 years of human history, New York Times bestselling author James Rollins takes us to mankind's next great leap. But will it mark a new chapter in our development. or our extinction? A war is coming, a battle that will stretch from the prehistoric forests of the ancient past to the cutting-edge research labs of today. In the remote mountains of Croatia, an archaeologist makes a strange discovery: a subterranean Catholic chapel, hidden for centuries, holds the bones of a Neanderthal woman. In the same cavern system, elaborate primitive paintings tell the story of an immense battle between tribes of Neanderthals and monstrous shadowy figures. Who is this mysterious enemy depicted in these ancient drawings, and what do the paintings mean? Before any questions can be answered, the investigative team is attacked, while at the same time, a bloody assault is made upon a primate research center outside of Atlanta. How are these events connected? Who is behind these attacks? The search for the truth will take Commander Gray Pierce of Sigma Force 50,000 years into the past. As he and Sigma trace the evolution of human intelligence to its true source, they will be plunged into a cataclysmic battle for the future of humanity that stretches across the globe. and beyond. With the fate of our future at stake, Sigma embarks on its most harrowing odyssey ever--a breathtaking quest that will take them from ancient tunnels in Ecuador that span the breadth of South America to a millennia-old necropolis holding the bones of our ancestors. Along the way, revelations involving the lost continent of Atlantis will reveal true mysteries tied to mankind's first steps on the moon. Gray Pierce and his team will face their greatest threat: an ancient evil, resurrected by modern genetic science, strong enough to bring about the end of man's dominance on this planet. Only this time, Sigma will falter--and the world we know will change forever. One of James Rollins's most ambitious stories to date, The Bone Labyrinth combines science, adventure, historical mystery, archaeology, technology, and legend in a brilliantly inventive tale that connects early man and the fate of the Neanderthals, while exploring the evolution of human intelligence from its wellspring to where we, as a species, may be headed next. Full of ingenious twists, it is a pulse-pounding epic from a master storyteller at the pinnacle of his creative powers"--… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,642,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible