Who Am I?: How My Daughter Taught Me to Let…

Who Am I?: How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Live Again

by Megan Cyrulewski

Once in a while a book comes along that isn't about boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, tragedy strikes, boy and girl part, then boy and girl get back together and live "happily every after". Who Am I? is a book filled with truth, tragedy and growth.

I know from personal experience that it takes a lot of courage to speak aloud about domestic violence, to add Postpartum Depression to the stress of living with this conscious act of violence by the abuser has to be a horrendous experience and takes even more courage to bring it to light. Megan Cyrulewski has shown an inordinate amount of inner courage in writing Who Am I?. Her book is very honest, well written, heart-breaking and inspirational.

I live with the effects of PTSD from severe, almost fatal domestic violence and I will admit that I hit a wall while reading Who Am I? that took me a little bit to process and overcome, but with the help of the counseling I've received, I did just that.

For anyone that has experience PPD or domestic violence, or, God forbid, both together, this is a book that will inspire you should you need it. I highly recommend Who Am I? How My Daughter Taught Me to Let Go and Love Again to anyone looking for more information about either subject and Megan Cyrulewski's incredible journey to the other side! Kudo's Ms. Cyrulewski and I give you five steaming, hot cups of Room With Books coffee!

~ Patricia, Room With Books ~ © Jan 7, 2014 ( )
  roomwithbooks | Aug 31, 2015 |
Who Am I? is the heart-breaking true story of Megan Cyrulewski, a young woman finding herself in an abusive relationship while suffering from post-partum depression, anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Somehow she managed to find the strength to leave her husband, Tyler, in order to raise their daughter in a healthier environment. This memoir tells her story from the moment she met Tyler until the end of the custody battle for their daughter, Madelyne.

This book especially rang true for me because I went through the same mental health issues as Megan, and I was also in an abusive relationship for a time. The big difference is that I didn’t end up marrying the guy. I thought the author aptly described what it is like to suffer from post-partum depression and be emotionally abused. She credits her daughter for saving her, but she was the one who made the decision to leave Tyler, and I really admire her for that. Luckily for her, she had her parents to help her. Unfortunately, not all victims of abuse have a supportive family.

I must say that I really enjoyed Who Am I?, but sometimes the details of the custody battle were tedious. I would also have liked to know a bit more about how she overcame her mental health issues. In the end, this memoir is a must-read for women going through the same problems as Megan Cyrulewski. As an author, she shows great promise, and I would be curious to read the legal thriller she is working on.

I wonder if Tyler has read the book though and, if that’s the case, what his reaction was…

Who Am I? was sent to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

To read the full review, please go to my blog (Cecile Sune - Book Obsessed). ( )
  cecile.sune | Mar 26, 2015 |
Nobody likes to see a marriage break up or a family divided but sadly these things happen and in author Megan Cyrulewski's case this was followed by a long tiresome string of strong intimidation directed at her and her family along with verbal abuse as they went through the process of divorce and a custody case.

You are immediately thrown into the middle of a desperate struggle as soon as you start to read the book between Megan and her ex-husband with their beautiful little girl. Megan then guides you through the traumatic events that had led up to this point since they first met as teenagers.

It became clear in their relationship that things were not going to work out as they had hoped. In Megan's honest and detailed account of their relationship, her life was like walking on egg shells not knowing what to expect next and trying to find the strength to carry on through it. Verbal, mental and financial abuse finally wore her down. Luckily she had the full support of her parents to love, care and protect both her and her daughter.

I do feel that her parents support enabled Megan to find the strength she so needed to get through each battle, along with the strong backing of her attorney. Megan's fight was for the love and safety of their daughter.

My favorite line in the book is the final answer to the question Megan asks herself 'Who Am I?', but you will have to read the book to find that out. ( )
  beckvalleybooks | Feb 27, 2015 |
I want to begin by saying that when you are reading someone’s very personal story and you get angry with him or her or their choices and then you reflect and quickly sit back and say, “Hey that’s been me on soooo many occasions!” I am angry with this person because I have been there and felt like a failure just like her. It was tough to get through some parts of the book, not because it was poorly written, rather it was because it was painful to look into her reality and see your own life reflected back. Marriage and raising children is tough work, really tough.

Megan Cyrulewski blatantly reveals this in her honest and painful description of bad life choices and trying to keep your head above water when it might seem easier to just let life overtake you and throw in the towel. If not for her parents’ support I could not imagine how this young determined mother could have survived. At times I could not help thinking, “Oh God, please just stop whining and lighten up a bit!!” I suppose every life is different and Megan was not afraid to expose her weaknesses, which only made the book that much more relevant, even after those words and paragraphs made me annoyed with her.

I could not imagine airing all my dirty flaws and leaving them out there for the world to judge. I admit I was being judgmental at times and this in itself was worth reading the book because it made me reflect on why I felt like I had the right to judge. This book made you think of these much deeper human emotions and feelings. In the end as her character developed she almost seemed to withdraw from her whining helpless self and she began to draw power from her legal experience. At this point the story becomes much more stated facts and less emotional in a way. In the end I cannot say who the winner was, since much of the book involved relaying the details of her battle with the Ex. Her daughter still did not have a stable relationship with her father, unfortunately common in these days. Megan does move on which was a plus. Letting go is always good. ( )
  Bambikha | Feb 24, 2015 |
The descriptions of the mental and physical abuse Megan received from her then husband are so vivid, it's like being right there with her and her daughter.

The author tells a very honest story of her life, from the red flags she chose to ignore at the beginning of her relationship, to the emotional effects of her pregnancy,all the way through the period after she left her husband and attempted to come to an agreement regarding custody/visitation of their daughter. Thankfully, she was blessed with a support system which helped her every step of the way.

All in all, this is a story of strength and determination--a woman who did what she had to do for the safety of her child.

I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, and all the opinions above are 100% my own. ( )
  TeresaKander | Feb 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,006,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible