Snow Angel Cove by RaeAnne Thayne

Snow Angel Cove

by RaeAnne Thayne

I enjoyed this sweet, holiday themed story set in beautiful Haven Point. Both Eliza and Aidan have issues that they would rather keep to themselves, but as the story continues, their trust in one another grows. The Christmas setting was wonderful--the town goes all out for the holiday and the eventual arrival of Aidan's large family adds to the warmth of the story. ( )
  ethel55 | Dec 18, 2015 |
Oh my word. Who could ever expect a Christmas book to start with a woman and her young daughter watching as a fire destroys all of their hopes and dreams!
...
And then, when it really looks as if all hope is lost, the mother is hit by a car!
...
I’m NOT giving anything away! It’s all in the excerpt!

Yeah… I admit I was more than a little intrigued at how such disastrous events could actually lead to a HAPPY Christmas – so, of course, I had to read it!

And boy am I glad I did!

Now, before I go any further, I have to tell you this is NOT my normal CHRISTIAN read. But then you probably guessed that from the publisher. However, I will say – to be completely fair – Harlequin has published much more adult books.

But you should be warned – this is certainly not in the Inspirational or Christian fiction category and there is quite a bit of content that might shock a reader who is expecting the typical Christian read.

I was interested in the book because of the cover mostly… but the story itself sounded very heart-warming and sweet so that was the deciding factor.

Kensington (another notorious publisher of very adult books) puts out some of my absolute FAVORITE Amish novels so I figured it was worth taking a chance! Especially when you consider just how risqué some other Christian fiction is these days…

FAIR WARNING! THE FOLLOWING MAY BE CONSIDERED A SPOILER!!!

For the record, there is no inappropriate physical behavior. There are some seriously sizzling kisses and a very well-described desire of thoughts for more but it does not go beyond that – Thankfully.

There is a but of adult language but again… thankfully… no one misuses God’s name so I’m a happy camper because this is one book I will not be letting go of ANYTIME SOON! WOW!

OK… SPOILER OVER!

In my personal opinion, this is one of the BEST stories I’ve read this year!

The characters are terrific. The plot is believable and I am desperate for more stories to come! It is a wonderful story and an excellent beginning! Great job RaeAnne! ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
Wonderful start to the new series. Eliza has come to Haven Point to start a new job as a hotel manager only to learn that the hotel has just burned to the ground. With no job and no home, she's not sure what she's going to do. As she and her daughter are crossing the street, she is hit by a car that hit a patch of black ice. Aidan is horrified by what happened, and how much worse it could have been. As he takes Eliza and her daughter back to his home for the night, he wonders what he can do to help. With his family coming to visit for the holidays, he hits on the idea of asking Eliza to help get his huge new home ready for his family.

Eliza isn't too sure about accepting the job. She's very wary of Aidan. Unknown to him, her husband had died, possibly intentionally, after unsuccessfully trying to sell a software idea to Aidan's company. Her husband had been obsessed with trying to make as much money as possible, but took so many risks he ended up leaving Eliza in poor financial shape. She is now wary of anyone she thinks is more interested in money than people. But she is desperate for employment that will give her what she needs to support her daughter, as she has learned that she can only depend on herself for what she needs. The more time she spends with Aidan, the more she discovers that he is very different from the man she thought he was. She's attracted to him, but even more than that, she sees a man who is in need of someone to love him and show him how to reconnect with the people around him.

Aidan is the middle child in a large family (the Caines from Hope's Crossing) but has always been the different one. The family is big and outgoing, where Aidan was always the quiet, focused, bookish one. After he graduated from college and started his business, he found himself working long days and pushing his relationship with his family into the background. In the last few years he has seen them only a few times during the year. After a recent health scare, he has realized that he wants to be part of the family again, but he's not sure how to accomplish it. With the purchase of his huge home, he came up with the idea of having them all visit for Christmas, but now he's beginning to wonder if it was such a good idea. Though he offered the job to Eliza out of guilt, he quickly comes to see her as far more.

I loved seeing Eliza and Aidan together. The attraction between them is strong, but both are wary about getting involved. Eliza's initial dislike of Aidan is quickly overcome as she sees how nice a guy he really is. Once she learns about his medical issues, she starts to understand his motivation for his holiday plans. I loved seeing her fuss over him, but also not pull any punches when she doesn't agree with something he does. One of the things that really softens her attitude toward him is seeing how wonderful he is with her daughter. She starts to fall for him, but doesn't see any possibility for a future between them.

Aidan sometimes seems like a bundle of contradictions. He really is a nice guy, but his people skills are sometimes a little lacking. He is much more comfortable with computers than with trying to figure out emotions. He really wants to reconnect with his family after his health scare, but he also doesn't want to tell them about it. He's not really happy when Eliza tells him that he's an idiot for shutting them out. Though he had hired Eliza out of guilt and wanting to help her, the more he's around her the more he discovers that he needs her. That need sometimes scares him into pushing her away, but he can't maintain the distance for long. He has a hard time expressing his feelings, but with her help he gets better at it. I loved the way he went about trying to show her how he felt. His Christmas surprise for her was terrific.

As always with RaeAnne Thayne's books, family is a central theme. Aidan's love for his family is obvious in everything he says and does as he tries to get his house ready for their visit. I loved hearing him tell Eliza all about them. Their love for him is just as obvious, both in their treatment of him, but also the teasing among them all. I loved the way his sister and sisters-in-law all noticed the changes in him and tried to get Eliza to say something about it. I loved seeing them all together for Christmas, and how Aidan finally saw the truth of what Eliza had been telling him about confessing to his family.

I'm really looking forward to reading more about the town and people of Haven Point. I liked the way that they so quickly made Eliza part of the community. Her acceptance also started to pave the way for Aidan. Most of the people weren't very nice to him at all as they waited to see what he was going to do with all the property he now owns. I liked the way that Eliza used what she learned to explain to Aidan what was happening with the town. I expect the stories for the people of Haven Point are going to be just as wonderful as those about Hope's Crossing. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Feb 2, 2015 |
A heartwarming Christmas romance set in snowy Idaho kicks off RaeAnne Thayne's Haven Point series. Eliza Hayward has had a string of bad luck, beginning with the death of her husband three years earlier. Wanting a fresh start for her daughter and herself, Eliza heads to Haven Point to manage a local inn. However, fate has other plans. Billionaire tech geek, Aidan Caine, crashes into her life, and he knocks all of her best laid plans off course.

SNOW ANGEL COVE is a sweet story with relatable characters who are easy to root for. Sure, Aidan is super rich, but he's also kind and compassionate, having come from a close-knit, down to earth family. He's not perfect though - Aidan is a workaholic who's been hiding a major secret from his family. He needs a strong woman to bring him out of his funk, and luckily for Aidan, he runs right into her. Eliza was amazing. Life kept kicking her when she was down, but she always fought back, especially for her daughter. She most definitely deserved a happy ending.

Though I dislike the billionaire hero trope, I loved Aidan, and this love story worked for me. This was a cozy Christmas read, and I'm looking forward to visiting Haven Point again.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Dec 24, 2014 |
cheesy little Christmas romance ( )
  amanaceerdh | Nov 8, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373779070, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author RaeAnne Thayne welcomes you to Haven Point, a small town full of big surprises that are both merry and bright

Nothing short of a miracle can restore Eliza Hayward's Christmas cheer. The job she pinned her dreams on has gone up in smoke—literally—and now she's stuck in an unfamiliar, if breathtaking, small town. Precariously close to being destitute, Eliza needs a hero, but she's not expecting one who almost runs her down with his car!

Rescuing Eliza is pure instinct for tech genius Aidan Caine. At first, putting the renovation of his lakeside guest lodge in Eliza's hands assuages his guilt—until he sees how quickly he could fall for her. Having focused solely on his business for years, he never knew what his life was missing before Eliza, but now he's willing to risk his heart on a yuletide romance that could lead to forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:01 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,012,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible