The Keepers: The Box and the Dragonfly by…

The Keepers: The Box and the Dragonfly

by Ted Sanders

I listened to the audio book. It was LONG but enjoyable. Horace stumbles into a warehouse full of interesting objects. Turns out the objects have power and he's stumbled into a battle. He learns how to harness the power of the box and meets a girl with a dragonfly. Together they face life threatening situations. A good twist at the end sets up for the next book in the series. ( )
  ewyatt | Feb 1, 2017 |
This was a fun book to read. It has suspense, a bit of creepiness, and plenty of unique magic. Horace (science geek) and Chloe (angry skeptic) are realistic, well matched, and engaging characters. There is an ensemble of characters who offer additional mystery and interesting personal dynamics. The magic had a Mary Poppin-ish feel to it: ancient and sometimes whimsical, but also with dark edges. Although there are Harry Potter comparisons, The Keepers stands on its own for a refreshing, intriguing story.

Pros: Magical instruments, engaging characters, and plenty of action will keep readers spellbound and searching for answers.

There's more to our review. Read why this is a "buy" at The Reading Tub®. While you’re there, add a link to your review of the book.
  TheReadingTub | Apr 5, 2016 |
A slow burn at the beginning, but the pay off is well worth it. It took me so long to read it because I got halfway through and started again to read it out loud. Strong characters, great world building , and an ending that left me just dying to read the next book.

Go out and read this. And someday I look forward to watching the moving they will inevitably make from this... ( )
  raignn | Jan 24, 2016 |
Though it started a bit slow for me, I was riveted after the first 100 pages or so. The characters were interesting enough to keep me going until the plot revved up. I hate to make this comparison as it's been so overused, but this fantasy, of the many I've read, gave me the most similar feeling of excitement in reading that Harry Potter did. I wanted to drop everything and keep reading, and I didn't want it to end. There are some parallels to Rowling's characters, but Sanders has very much created his own world and inhabitants. It's more the feeling that is similar: of well-drawn characters, both main and supporting and an unpredictable plot. I LOVED this story and can't wait for the sequel, "The Harp and the Ravenvine" due out in March 2016. ( )
  bookwren | Aug 27, 2015 |
Couldn't get through it. Lost interest after 100 pages.
  EdGoldberg | Mar 19, 2015 |
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. -Arthur C. Clarke
for Jodee, without whom so much would not have happened, including this
When Horace F. Andrews spotted the Horace F. Andrews sign through the cloudy windows of the 77 eastbound bus, he blinked.
Participation and good intentions.

Artifacts. Miseries. Mysteries . . .

From the moment Horace F. Andrews sees the sign from the bus--a sign with his own name on it--everything changes. The sighting leads him underground to the House of Answers, a hidden warehouse brimming with peculiar devices. But there he finds only questions. What is this curious place? Who are the strange, secretive people who entrust him with a rare and immensely powerful gift? And what is he to do with it?

As he works to master his newfound abilities, Horace quickly discovers that nothing is ordinary anymore. From the sinister thin man lurking around every corner to his encounters with Chloe--a girl who has an astonishing talent of her own--Horace follows a path that puts him in the middle of a centuries-old conflict between two mysterious factions.

Horace's journey leads him and Chloe deep into a place where every decision they make could have disastrous consequences. Most important, it links Horace to the Box of Promises and a future he never saw coming.

With an action-packed blend of fantasy and science fiction, Ted Sanders creates a world where everything is more than it seems and where friendship and loyalty have the greatest power of all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:19 -0400)

Horace F. Andrews, armed with a strange wooden box, and Chloe Burke, wearing a mysterious dragonfly pendant, become entangled in a secret and ancient society striving to protect powerful devices from the evil Riven.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible