The Bachelor: A Novel (Plain City Peace) by…

The Bachelor: A Novel (Plain City Peace)

by Stephanie Reed

The Bachelor is the 2nd book in Stephanie Reed’s Plain City Peace series.

In book 1 – The Bargain, we were introduced to the characters and their complex situations.

In book 2 we’ve taken the next step in that relationship and we become even more involved with these beloved characters.

The Bargain introduced to us the idea that the “Amish” way is not the only path to heaven and at the time it was a radical idea that really shook up our main character.

In book 2, we explore this subject even deeper and it brings so many questions to bear – questions that can probably never be answered to our satisfaction…

Betsie is facing confusion, not only about her parents but about her feelings about two certain young men.

Such confusion certainly explains why the plain people work so hard to limit their exposure to the outside world.

Since that wasn’t exactly an option for Betsie, she is left with her confusion and frustration and some pretty big decisions that may forever change the course of her life… and perhaps even the lives around her.

Stephanie Reed will capture your attention and have you positively desperate for the final installment of this trilogy.
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Plain City Peace series. It is wonderful. There seems to be a bit of controversy in the Amish and Mennonite churches during this time period. I keep hoping that Betsies parents will come home or convince her to move. Betsie thinks she is in love with Charley or is she really in love with Michael? You will want to read The Bargain before reading this book so you know what is going on. I am looking forward to the next book to see how this all ends. I can't wait. I received this book from book fun.org for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jul 22, 2015 |
Seventeen old Betsie Troyer, and her teenage brother and sister, Abijah and Sadie, are left to fend for themselves when their parents leave the Amish faith and move away. They are faced with the shame of their parent’s shunning because they accepted Christ as their Savior. The children pray fervently that their parents will see the error of their ways and return. In the mean time they must carry on with Betsy trying to be both father and mother to her siblings. The pressure she faces is incredible.
Charley, Betsie’s intended beau since childhood, comes frequently to assist with the chores and repairs that require a man. He seems sincerely devoted in helping her, but is he? Michael, an Englisher friend of many years who has moved away continues to write her. She treasures his friendship, as he truly understands her.
To add to her already heavy load, a man she has worked for in the past leaves his 12 year old daughter Shelia to stay with the Troyers. He is leaving town to try and bring his wife back that has left them. This creates conflict not only with her siblings, but also with her church and Charley. A shocking tragedy reveals who really has Betsie’s best interest at heart.
Just when I thought no one could come up with an Amish novel with a unique storyline, Ms. Reed has managed to! Most of the time it is the youth leaving the church for the world, but this time it is the parents. I was shocked and upset with her parents for abandoning their children. Especially with all the responsibilities that are a part of an Amish household.
The story was made even more interesting by all the details of the situations the author so vividly describes. So much so in fact, I felt pressure with all Betsie was dealing with! She was a brave and dedicated young woman, but there were so many decisions that she needed her parent’s wisdom for. All in all, she does an incredible job.
The characters were interesting. I enjoyed Shelia. Her youthful innocence, candidness and strong, childlike Christian faith unaffected by others, was delightful! Psalm 8:2, “Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength . . .” aptly describes this little lady!
As the story progresses, the integrity and motives of each individual was gradually revealed. I liked this because it added suspense, and excitement to the plot. I was inspired by Betsie’s taking every problem and decision to the Lord in prayer. She continued trusting and asking even though circumstances seemed unchanged. Through her trials she begins making her own choices separate from the opinions of other and the rules of her culture.
I did not read the previous book but I feel this one stood alone. I look forward to reading it and the 3rd sequel to come in 2016. Well written, entertaining and hard to put down!
I received this book free from the publisher through Kregel Publications which requires an honest, though not necessarily positive, review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Dec 12, 2014 |
The Bachelor opens with Betsy Troyer living in her Amish community during the stormy 1970s. After boarding with an Englisher family for a time, she has returned home to resume her life within the Amish community and to care for her siblings. Her parents have been shunned and are no longer able to live at home.

While Betsy grieves for her parents, struggles to keep a home for her siblings she also accepts the responsibility of caring for the daughter of the Englisher family she used to board with. As she works through these many challenges, she finds herself at a crossroad regarding her way of life, her faith and the two men she loves.

Will Betsy listen as God guides tries to show her His plan for her? Will she choose to follow her heart?

The Bachelor by Stephanie Reed was an enjoyable read and one that engaged me from start to finish. The story was compelling, the characters engaging and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book!

While The Bachelor can be read and enjoyed as a stand alone story, I recommend reading the whole series. I believe I would have enjoyed the story even more if I had had a better understanding of the history leading up to the events that occurred in this book. I can't wait to read the other books!

Many thanks to Kregel Publishing and Ms. Reed for the opportunity to review this book. My review is an honest reflection of my thoughts and feelings regarding this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Dec 12, 2014 |
The Batchelor is set in the 1970’s and the setting is a failing Amish Community known as Plain City, and as we are reunited with Betsie, we are reminded that her parents have left her and her and her brother and sister. Through out the story, Betsie is on bended knee prayer her folks will return and give up their ideas of being saved.
The author has provided a lot of information if you haven’t read The Bargain, but it is an awesome book, and I would highly recommend reading it. We met the Sullivan family in The Bargain, and now Betsie is faced with a problem when she is begged to temporarily give Shelia Sullivan, a twelve year old, a home. She does so knowing her Community will not like the Englisher staying in her house. Even her siblings give her a hard time, but Charlie Yoder, who is now coming to court her, is really upset that Shelia is here.
There is more tension when Michael begins writing, and Charlie finds out. Betsie also begins to relive the attack that was made on her while at the Sullivan’s, and you have to wonder if it is Michael or Charlie she fears. I also found Charlie’s mother to be a person I sure would avoid, not a very pleasant personality here, and Betsie better be careful when she marries Charlie.
What an up and down story your about to experience, some chuckles, and some heart ache, come and immerse yourself in this great read. See whom Betsie belongs with!

I received this book through Kregel Publications, and was not required to give a positive review ( )
  alekee | Dec 8, 2014 |

In this sequel to The Bargain, Betsie Troyer is back home in her Amish community where she knows she belongs, free from the confusing Englisher way of life. She and Charley Yoder have made promises to each other, and her life is back on track--until Gerald Sullivan shows up with his young daughter, asking for Betsie's help. He’s on his way to find his estranged wife, and begs Betsie to take young Sheila in.

When she agrees, Betsie's carefully planned life is shaken up again. Sheila's newfound faith is troubling to Charley--and his attraction to another girl is beginning to be a problem. But how can Betsie confront him when she is still trying to confront her own feelings about Sheila's brother, Michael? Keeping the peace between the Amish man she's always loved, a twelve-year-old Englisher girl, and a draft-dodging hippie is more than she ever thought she’d have to deal with in her simple, orderly life. Still, Betsie is convinced she can keep things from falling apart completely.

Then during her best friend's wedding, tragedy strikes and her world is upended. She has to make a decision: does she love Charley or Michael . . . or is she craving a deeper love that only God can give?

The compelling second novel of the Plain City Peace series, The Bachelor deftly weaves together the strands of a solid, simpler time with the turmoil of an era of change, revealing the strengths of both in its powerful narrative.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

Betsie Troyer is back home in her Amish community where she knows she belongs. Free from the confusing Englisher way of life, Betsie and Charley Yoder have made promises to each other, and her life is back on track--until see agrees to do a favor for the Englisher family she use to board with. Now the outside world is again threatening her peace and rebellious Michael is turning her dreams upside down. Thankfully, Charley is safe and reliable, or is he? Deciding between the two men who influence her thinking will define Betsie and set the course for the rest of her life. Will God make the right choice clear?"… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible