Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style,…

Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success--Online and Off

by Michelle Phan

201515,329 (2)None

In Make Up, Michelle Phan, beauty blogger and creator of the make up subscription service ipsy, discusses everything from the basics of a good skin care regimen to how to dress for a job interview to how to conduct yourself on social media.

The book is, honestly, a little disjointed. It hops from one topic to the next with little to no transition. But it means well. Michelle Phan means well. It's admirable that she's set out to create a modern guide to living your best life.

At 24 years old, having held the same steady job for over two years, and never really having been a social media oversharer, I don't think I was the target audience for her book. I did read all of it, including the tips on how to get a job, the importance of an internship, and entrepreneurial tips. Her endlessly positive attitude is a little grating, but, again, she means well. The best parts were definitely at the beginning, when she discusses her background and how she went from being denied a job at the Lancome counter to being one of the best known names in make up. I also have to admit that she taught me how to properly apply retinol, which is only slightly embarrassing, seeing that I work for a dermatologist.

In my mid-twenties, this book didn't do it for me, but I would have loved it as a young teen.

Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for the free copy. ( )
  Sara.Newhouse | Feb 11, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080413734X, Hardcover)

Michelle Phan has believed in makeup since the first time she was allowed to try eyeliner. When she looked in the mirror and saw a transformed version of herself looking back, she fell in love with the sense of confidence that makeup could give her.  Ever since she posted her first makeup tutorial on YouTube, she has dedicated herself to inspire millions by using makeup as a tool for transformation and self expression.

Now, Michelle has compiled all of her best wisdom into Make Up: Your Life Guide to Beauty, Style, and Success--Online and Off. From creating a gorgeous smoky eye to understanding contouring to developing an online persona, Michelle has advice to help you transform every facet of your life. Make Up is packed with Michelle’s trademark beauty and style tutorials,  stories and pictures from her own life, and advice on the topics she is asked about most, including etiquette, career, entrepreneurship, and creativity. From the everyday (such as how to get glowing skin) to the big picture (such as how to turn your passion into a profession), Make Up is a practical and empowering resource to help anyone put their best face forward.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:51 -0400)

Ever since she posted her first makeup tutorial on YouTube, she has dedicated herself to inspiring millions by using makeup as a tool for transformation and self expression.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible