The Burning Girl by Lisa Unger

The Burning Girl

by Lisa Unger

The Burning Girl by Lisa Unger is a 2014 Pocket Star publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This second book in the Whispers trilogy picks up ten years later as Eloise Montgomery is now a famous psychic who sees dead people. The story is sad because Eloise is still grieving for the husband and child she lost, while the “gift” she has drains all her energy, has put distance between herself and her surviving daughter, and people either depend on her too strongly or she is considered a quack and a pariah, often regarded with suspicion.

But, when she sees a young girl who gives off an odor like someone who emerged from a fire, she is especially troubled, and unsettling revelations begin to emerge about Eloise's background as she discovers her granddaughter may have inherited her special gift.

This second book was just bit off kilter for me compared to the first book, but still very absorbing and chilling. I did not really care for Ray that much, and of course I feel Eloise has been robbed of a peaceful, happy life after having suffered so much. But, there is a third installment and hopefully Eloise will find some kind relief, maybe some answers to her questions, and perhaps a bit more than mere contentment in her life, but even that would be an improvement. Overall I think this book is a bridge to the third and final book, and has set the stage for what is sure to be a compelling read. 4 stars ( )
  gpangel | May 8, 2015 |
Once again I enjoyed this short story from Lisa Unger very much and I am looking forward to the next Hollows story! Keep them coming! I received a copy of this ARC through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. ( )
  Debra_Burge | Apr 24, 2015 |

From New York Times bestselling author Lisa Unger comes the second of three e-novellas about a psychic medium and the strange secrets she begins to uncover, for better or for worse. Ten years after Eloise Montgomery discovers her psychic abilities, she is a full-fledged working psychic, with a partner and a business. Now, in The Burning Girl, she's discovering some disturbing things: secrets about her genealogy that are, perhaps, best left in the past; that her granddaughter Finley has powers of her own; and that not all of Eloise's visitors actually want to be helped. Some of them are just looking for trouble... Writing with the same taut prose that earned her critical acclaim for her explosive thriller Beautiful Lies, Lisa Unger delivers a spellbinding story that will leave listeners wanting more.… (more)

Lisa Unger is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible