The Mountain Story: A Novel by Lori Lansens

The Mountain Story: A Novel

by Lori Lansens

How can I like a book that is tragic the whole way through? Wolf's life is a mess -- messed up father, messed up living conditions, about to end his own life, then he gets into a mess with three women who have their own messy lives and they can't find their way out/off of the mountain. You know at least one is going to die (it's right there in the beginning, and I have to say, it wasn't difficult to figure out which would die) and they encounter mostly hurdles and few wins. Depressing! Not enjoyable to read such hardship. The writing itself -- nothing stellar, nothing horrible. Not noticeable, really. Overall, rather mediocre literature...maybe decent pop lit. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
I got so wrapped up in this book that I forgot it was fiction. People say all the time "this book made me cry" well this book did just that but it was real tears not just a saying. Most books you can see whats coming but not this one. It was just so real. I could feel what was being felt..see what was being seen. I could even freaking smell the forest. Loved it..Loved it..Loved it ( )
  justablondemoment | Dec 1, 2017 |
Intense and poignant survival story. ( )
  ladykat | May 15, 2017 |
A special thank you to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was thrilled to review this novel, I've been a fan of Lansen's writing after reading Rush Home Road years ago for a book club selection.

She is a brilliant writer that has created more unforgettable characters - Wolf, Vonn, Bridget, and Nola. This novel was a huge undertaking and she pulled it off. This story is moving, heart-stopping, enthralling, and brilliantly penned.

I knew this story would linger and I couldn't read it fast enough. She has created a page-turner filled with hope and resilience of the human spirit. I highly recommend it! ( )
  GirlWellRead | Feb 25, 2017 |
I was surprised by this book. I was expecting a survival story, action/adventure, but it was so much more. Deeper, moving, and heartrending. The writing was lovely. Definitely a tale that sticks with you.

The book is written as a letter from Wolf to his son Daniel, as he prepares to leave for college. It's been twenty years since Wolf was lost on the mountain with three other people, and not everyone returned home. Wolf feels that Daniel is old enough now to know the truth.

The Mountain Story isn't just about surviving the harsh elements of nature, no shelter, going days with very little food or water, it's about Wolf managing to survive his entire difficult life.

Compelling blend of coming of age, friendship, sacrifice, loss, suspense, and of course, survival. I was quite surprised at the big twist at the end!!

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  bookofsecrets | Oct 6, 2016 |
For Max and Tashi and Addam, Andrew, Chloe, and Nathan
A person has to have lived a little to appreciate a survival story.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147678650X, Hardcover)

Four go up the mountain, but only three will come down…

On the morning of Wolf Truly’s eighteenth birthday, he boards the first cable car to head up the mountains just a few miles from his sun-bleached trailer home in the desert community outside of Palm Springs. Armed with nothing but the clothes on his back, Wolf’s intention that morning was to give up on life—specifically at the mountain site of his best friend’s tragic accident one year ago. But on that shaky ride up the mountain, fate intervenes and Wolf meets three women that will leave an indelible imprint on the rest of his life. Through a series of missteps, the four wind up lost and stranded among the forested cliffs—in sight of the desert city below, but unable to find a way down.

Reminiscent of John Krakauer’s modern classic Into the Wild and Cheryl Strayed’s #1 bestselling Oprah-endorsed Wild, Lori Lansen’s The Mountain Story is a deeply affecting novel that pays homage to the rugged beauty—and utterly unforgiving nature—of the wilderness, and considers the question: What price are you willing to pay not only for the ones you love, but for a complete stranger?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:30 -0400)

"From New York Times bestselling author Lori Lansens comes a harrowing survival story about four strangers who spend five days lost in the mountain wilderness above Palm Springs. Four go up the mountain, but only three will come down... On the morning of Wolf Truly's eighteenth birthday, he boards the first cable car to head up the mountains just a few miles from his sun-bleached trailer home in the desert community outside of Palm Springs. Armed with nothing but the clothes on his back, Wolf's intention that morning was to give up on life--specifically at the mountain site of his best friend's tragic accident one year ago. But on that shaky ride up the mountain, fate intervenes and Wolf meets three women that will leave an indelible imprint on the rest of his life. Through a series of missteps, the four wind up lost and stranded among the forested cliffs--in sight of the desert city below, but unable to find a way down. As the days pass without rescue, we come to learn how each of them came to be on the mountain that morning. And as their situation shifts from misadventure to nightmare, the lost hikers forge an inextricable bond, pushing themselves, and each other, beyond their limits. Reminiscent of John Krakauer's modern classic Into the Wild and Cheryl Strayed's #1 bestselling Oprah-endorsed Wild, Lori Lansen's The Mountain Story is a deeply affecting novel that pays homage to the rugged beauty--and utterly unforgiving nature--of the wilderness, and considers the question: What price are you willing to pay not only for the ones you love, but for a complete stranger?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,644,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible