Dark Legend: The Supernatural Chronicles by…

Dark Legend: The Supernatural Chronicles

by R.A. Reene'

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I tried, I really did. I gave up and waited a while and tried again. And I only got as far as the girl waking up - the prologue was so awful it stalled me both times. The dialog is wooden (even aside from the peculiar decision to format all of it in italics), the plot is utterly predictable (as far as I got), and the whole thing is lacking in description. I have no idea of people or places, despite having read the prologue twice. And if the guy is a half-demon (if his mother is a Witch), his child is only a quarter Demon, right? One of many plot holes. Of course, there's no indication that there's any actual difference between Witches, Demons, Fairies, and humans...aside from the Demons being ruled by a tyrant and the Fairies by a tyrannical bureaucracy. No idea about Witches. And who helped with the birth, and after? Can't be Demons. Can't be Fairies. I don't think the Witches wanted to be involved...so humans, but ones who were aware of magic and Demons and the like? Except the point of the later story is that humans aren't aware of such things...I think, again, I didn't read that far. Sorry. Neither the story nor the writing is up to readable level. Write about a dozen more, get them read and edited by people who know what they're doing, and maybe you can come up with a book worth reading. _I_ could do better than this, and I know how awful my stuff is.
ETA: I've been thinking about my last sentence, and it's not quite true. My dialog is better than Reene's, definitely. My descriptions may be. But I've never completed a novel, let alone put it out for general reading - so R.A. Reene' is further along the path to professional writer than I am (or a lot of other people). ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Bad formatting, grammar, continuity, and typos w/a clichéd plot

DARK LEGEND: The Supernatural Chronicles, by R. A. Reene'

This ebook has formatting errors that make it difficult to read. I have never encountered this before. There are also additional typos, grammatical errors, and continuity errors. E.g.:

"Alright students. Settle down.
Settle down. I hope you all took
the homework assignment serious. Because I have
decided that you will
be presenting them in class…today." Our English
teacher informs us.

Unintentional comedy… In my opinion, books FOR CHILDREN, in particular, should be edited so that they have NO mistakes, since children are still learning the rules by example.

This book is so hard to read, AND the plot is so moronic, that I cannot recommend anyone bother with it: A curse cannot be lifted, made by someone now dead, unless… their child, 1/2 demon, 1/2 faery, an unthinkable combination, might have the ability to do it. So, the baddy who was cursed to protect that child, is after the child, to get the curse removed… Blech.

I received a free copy of this ebook from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, for the purposes of giving an unbiased review. ( )
  Wordwizardw | Feb 12, 2015 |
I enjoyed the book. ( )
  F.E.Adkins | Jan 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an intriguing story with an interesting premise for the main character with a lot of potential. It is rather difficult to read though and needs a lot of work before it can be a truly good read. It was a little too abrupt and rather annoying, but I do feel some anticipation to read more of this story and with some tweaking or a quick follow up, it might work. ( )
  HopefirewindLove | Jan 17, 2015 |
Just from the brief synopsis I read, I really wanted to read this book. It seemed like it was going to add something new and fresh the YA scene. I can say this book 75% lived up to my expectations. I read the previous reviews, but I believe the author may have put out a revision because there weren't any formatting issues that I experienced. I know some tablets/readers read formatting differently. But I had to do was decrease my font a bit and it was perfect. The story chronicles (Hence the title) the life of a girl who is half fairy and half demon (with a little bit of witch too). Her parents were both killed around the time she was born so she's raised by her father's mother and her two aunts in the world with humans. But somethings happen and they have to go and live back in a community with other magical people. Since she was born her dad's brother (her uncle) has been trying to kidnap her and use her to break curse that was put on him by her father. The curse basically traps him in the Underworld; which is where the demons live. Her grandmother enrolls her in a school for magical teenagers in order to keep her safe. But them she finds out that her uncle has figured out another way to break curse and she tries to stop him. That basically what the story is about, spoiling any of the really plot twisters.

The back story chapter that was given at the beginning was very engaging and pulled me right end. Once I got into the present time of the story it slowed down a bit but picked back after Alex (Main character) started going to the magic school. The author did a really good job of developing the characters and creating a really smooth plot. I've read some other reviews on other sites that said it ended abruptly but I think the author intended for it end that way because a sequel is coming. Would I say the book was spectacular beyond belief? No. Would I say that It was great read with the possibility of becoming a great series? Yes. To kind of judge if a book was good or not me, I think about anticipation for a sequel. And I must say that I would most definitely read the follow book. ( )
  janeysmith89 | Dec 26, 2014 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

R.A. Reene''s book Dark Legend: The Supernatural Chronicles was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,130,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible