Springtime: A Ghost Story by Michelle De…

Springtime: A Ghost Story

by Michelle De Kretser

468242,697 (2.88)1 / 9

Almost more of a long short story than a novella. I picked it up for the cover, honestly, but it was sweetly written and entertaining old-fashioned kind of ghost story. ( )
  lisapeet | May 26, 2017 |
An interesting short story that paints a picture of Frances. It is a ghost story, but not in the scary sense; an understated sort of miss if you blink ghost really. I enjoyed it. ( )
  thejohnsmith | Jan 15, 2017 |
An atmospheric novella that sets a ghost story in the sun-beaten streets and gardens of Sydney, Australia. De Kretser has been praised by Hilary Mantel for her "sharp, almost hallucinatory detail" and rightly so. ( )
  stringcat3 | Aug 28, 2016 |
I will freely admit that I bought this lovely little book for its cover. This is indeed a ghost story, but a very subtle one. Frances has just moved to Sydney from Melbourne with her new lover, Charlie, who left his wife and son for her. Now doubts are emerging but they are always an undercurrent, subsumed into Frances's observations of her everyday life: dinner party chats, visits from Charlie's son, walks with the dog between the river and back gardens. Here she sees the "ghost," a figure of a woman in the garden of a house she can never identify, which somehow personifies her unease about the turns her life has taken. Like all good ghost stories, there's a bit of a surprise at the end. An unexpected and enjoyable little book. ( )
  sturlington | Jun 16, 2016 |
Certainly not a ghost story in the usual sense, this short book was quite hard work for me. The writing doesn't really flow, the narrative goes all over the place, new characters pop up unannounced, the random observations are baffling, I had to go back a couple of times, feeling like I missed something. Apart from all that, I still enjoyed the experience, just like people some books need quite an effort. ( )
  Estramir | Sep 8, 2015 |
To Sara White
That spring, Frances walked along the river every morning with her dog, Rod.

When Frances met Charlie at a party in Melbourne he was married with a young son. Now she and Charlie live in Sydney with her rescue dog Rod and an unshakeable sense that they have tipped the world on its axis. They are still getting their bearings - of each other and of their adopted city. Everything is alien, unfamiliar, exotic: haunting, even.… (more)

Catapult

An edition of this book was published by Catapult.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible