An Uncomplicated Life: A Father's Memoir of…

An Uncomplicated Life: A Father's Memoir of His Exceptional Daughter

by Paul Daugherty

204515,329 (4.1)None

I received this book as a Goodreads give away. I was excited at the idea that I won a free book, and so was glad to have received it in the mail shortly after being notified. I hadn't realized how long this book was- often I feel a bit of hesitancy when a memoir is lengthy(long memoir= poor editing) but I didn't find this book to be that way at all. All the details were necessary, in my opinion, and nothing seemed too dragged out.
I like reading memoirs about people who overcome trials or anything unusual or unexpected. This memoir was a good one for that; it definitely held my interest. The author is a sports columnist, and so is probably used to a very different kind of writing, but he did very well in telling the story of his daughter Jillian, who was born with Down syndrome.
There were parts of the book that came off a bit over the top- as in isn't-my-daughter-wonderful-everything-she-does-is-wonderful. But most of it was honest and compelling.
I give it 3 stars.
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
picked up today at doctors office while waiting ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 7, 2016 |
picked up today at doctors office while waiting ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 2, 2016 |
Interesting Read!

While at times I thought this story was a bit slow and a tad boring, I still enjoyed what the author and his wife, Paul and Kerry Daugherty did to pave a way for their Down syndrome daughter. They were very active in fighting for Jillian’s rights to an education that was equal or near equal to any other student enrolled in school. This book is also encouraging to readers that they, as Jillian’s parents, were very active in her life to fortify and train her to live in this world on her own. A job well done. ( )
  passionforbooks | Mar 7, 2015 |

A father’s exhilarating and funny love letter to his Down syndrome daughter whose vibrant and infectious approach to life has something to teach all of us about how we can better live our own.

Jillian Daugherty was born with Down syndrome. The day they brought her home from the hospital, her parents, Paul and Kerry, were flooded with worry and uncertainty, but also overwhelming love, which they channeled to “the job of building the better Jillian.” While their daughter had special needs, they refused to allow her to grow up needy—“Expect, Don’t Accept” became their mantra. Little did they know how ready Jillian was to meet their challenge.

Paul tells stories from Jillian’s mischievous childhood and moves to her early adulthood, tracing her journey to find happiness and purpose in her adult life, sharing endearing anecdotes as well as stories about her inspiring triumphs. Having graduated from high school and college, Jillian now works to support herself, and has met the love of her life and her husband-to-be, Ryan.

In An Uncomplicated Life, the parent learns as much about life from the child as the child does from the parent. Through her unmitigated love for others, her sparkling charisma, and her boundless capacity for joy, Jillian has inspired those around her to live better and more fully. The day Jillian was born, Paul says, was the last bad day. As he lovingly writes, “Jillian is a soul map of our best intentions”—a model of grace, boundless joy, and love for all of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

A father of a daughter with Down syndrome examines her "mischievous childhood and moves to her early adulthood, tracing her journey to find happiness and purpose in her adult life, sharing ... anecdotes as well as stories about her inspiring triumphs. Having graduated from high school and college, Jillian now works to support herself, and has met the love of her life and her husband-to-be, Ryan"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,008,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible