Gone Too Far by Natalie Richards

Gone Too Far

by Natalie Richards

I give it like a 3.5 stars. It was good, it kept me turning the pages to see who it was texting Piper. ( )
  christiestar | Oct 23, 2017 |
The story of Piper Woods, the notebook, and the mystery provide engaging reading. Piper is the most fully drawn character in the novel, and her struggle with the ethics of the situation in which she becomes involved seems plausible enough. This is a story of teen revenge and the ultimate humiliation and heartbreak that can result from exposure of too much information. Young adult readers who enjoy a bit of mystery, a high school setting and the struggle with and among cliques should find this book of interest.

The plot becomes cluttered, however, with too many characters, and not enough depth of characterization for many of the characters. This aspect of the book takes away from the flow of the plot, and can be confusing for the reader.

I would recommend Gone Too Far in the library to students interested in mystery and the struggle to fit in in high school. ( )
  mcintorino | Jan 16, 2017 |
I absolutely loved Richards’s book Six Months Later, and Gone Too Far lived up to that book. There is so much mystery, and trying to decide who could be trusted.

Piper makes a lot of mistakes, but she does learn from them eventually. She has to battle with the part of her that thinks the popular kids are beneath her, and learn that they all have their issues and that nothing is perfect regardless of your social standing. The death of Stella spurs her into really makign things right in her school.

The really creepy thing is the notebook. I described it to the hubby,and he was like why would she keep that thing. It’s disturbing to say the least, but it’s what pushes Piper into choosing names for the anonymous texter.

There are some parts that are predictable but it doesn’t make the story any less. I like how Richards weaves Piper’s story, and shows how some people can have very dark thoughts and you wouldn’t even know. There are a few instances where I was terrified for Piper. She gets herself into some pretty tight situations, and it may not turn out the way she was hoping. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
3.5 stars
This was a nice change from the recent run-or-the-mill YA books that have been on offer. "Gone Too Far" was about school bullying, judging, vengeance and punishment. While I didn't really like Piper, I thought she lacked gumption and made some really bad decisions, I did appreciate the creepiness of the notebook and trying to guess who was behind the text messages she kept receiving. I also thought Nick was a great character. I liked that he was just genuinely sweet despite how Piper judged him, and I enjoyed how the romance between them gradually blossomed. Overall, an enjoyable little thriller. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
I would be lying if I said that the first thing to pop into my head when I read the summary of this book was Pretty Little Liars.

Texts from an unknown sender. threats, commands, secrets, etc. This book gives off that vibe.

The writing style of this book only gives us the perspective of the main character, Piper, which makes the mystery all the more mysterious. What I like about the mystery is the fact that you’re always guessing. It’s difficult to figure out who’s behind everything, and even when you know, you don’t. There are twists and turns and plenty of heart-pounding moments. I loved the way the book was structured, too, because it never felt like it was boring.

It doesn’t hurt also that Piper is a really interesting protagonist; she’s not a Mary Sue. She doesn’t wait for the other shoe to drop, she looks for the shoe and tries to keep it from falling. Piper’s only flaw and it is pretty understandable, is that she was incredibly judgmental of the ‘popular’ crowd. Thankfully, Piper evolved and learned throughout the story that her assumptions were wrong.

The romance is low-key here, but incredibly sweet. It was kind of instal-love at first, just because we never really see how the love interest came to like Piper, but I forgive it because the love interest is so adorable! He was really supportive of Piper and I really liked how he challenged her to change for the better.

Overall, Natalie D. Richards once again constructed a highly believable mystery/suspense with a likable main character and an adorable romance. My verdict? Don't miss out! :)

"I don't think you've got a terrible person in you."
"I think we all do. If you scratch the surface." ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140228554X, Paperback)

"Filled with tension and heart-in-your-throat suspense that kept me guessing to the very end."-Jennifer Brown, author of Hate List and Thousand Words on Six Months Later

Send me a name. Make someone pay.

Piper Woods can't wait to graduate. To leave high school-and all the annoying cliques-behind. But when she finds a mysterious notebook filled with the sins of her fellow students, Piper's suddenly drowning in their secrets.

And she's not the only one watching...

An anonymous text invites Piper to choose: the cheater, the bully, the shoplifter. The popular kids with their dirty little secrets. And with one text, Piper can make them pay.

But the truth can be dangerous...

Praise for Six Months Later:
YALSA Teens Top 10 nominee
"[A] smart, edgy thriller."-Kirkus
"Well paced and beautifully written...This romantic thriller will leave readers on the edge of their seats until the very last page. Recommend it to fans of Gayle Forman's If I Stay (Dutton, 2009) and Lissa Price's Starters (Delacorte, 2012)" – School Library Journal
"An intense psychological mystery... has the feel of a high-stakes poker game in which every player has something to hide." –Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:38 -0400)

When high school senior Piper Woods finds a notebook with mutilated photographs and a list of student sins, she is sure the book is too gruesome to be true, but when a student from the list dies, and although everyone thinks it is a suicide, she suspects something much worse, and her fears are confirmed when she receives an anonymous text daring her to make things right.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,353,771 books! | Top bar: Always visible