After We Fall: A Novel by Emma Kavanagh

After We Fall: A Novel

by Emma Kavanagh

The story is definitely unique, and offers different perspectives in a single event, developing the plot like pieces of a puzzle being put together. The narrative kept me interested in the story from the beginning. However, as the conclusion was approached, the plot became weaker and more predictable.

Nonetheless, I have become interested in the work of the author, and I would like to give a chance to other titles that she has written. As well, I would share my copy of the book with others, as I am sure that this read would be found amusing by others.

I obtained a copy of this book through the First Reads giveaway program at Goodreads. I would like to thank Sourcebooks for providing me with a copy of Kavanagh's work. ( )
  DoctorFate | Mar 1, 2016 |
The premise of this story - that there is a plane crash where more than a dozen people actually survive - is unbelievable to begin with. It's described as a "dark, gripping, psychological thriller" - NOT. ( )
  flourgirl49 | Jan 20, 2016 |
So thrilled to have won this extraordinary book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway! ;)

Many thanks to Goodreads & Emma Kavanagh! ( )
  izzybellae | Aug 2, 2015 |
After We Fall by author Emma Kavanagh begins with a plane crash. There are only thirteen survivors, one of whom is Cecilia, an airline attendant. This had been an important flight for her – she was running way from her husband, Tom and their three-year-old son, Ben. The story is told by four different narrators including Cecilia; Tom, her husband, a police officer who is investigating the death of another officer, Libby, while trying to take care of both Cecilia and Ben; Jim, a retired police officer and Libby’s father; and Freya, the daughter of Oliver, the pilot of the plane.

As the novel progresses, the lives of these characters become entwined as questions about the cause of the crash arise as well as a possible link between it and Libby’s murder. But this is much more than a simple police procedural or a psychological thriller. It is about, among other things, the ways people cope with tragic events, how they deal with loss and grief, and how it impacts the choices they make. The characters are complex, fallible and, in some case, not particularly likable but they command our empathy and our attention throughout.

After We Fall bridges the gap between literary fiction and psychological thriller and it does both seamlessly. It is well-written and well-plotted but it is really the characters that will keep you up reading and who will stay with you long after you finish the last page. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Jul 3, 2015 |
"A shrieking of wind, screeching of metal as the plane ripped apart, the wicked cold tearing at her throat. Cecelia Williams gripped the seat, fingers burning with pain. She tried to close her mouth, but the sound pried it open, stealing her breath. A giant's hand pinned her to the bulkhead. Tumbling, tumbling...she couldn't determine the floor from the ceiling." This is the first paragraph in the first chapter of After We Fall. The title refers to a plane crash and it's aftermath for all the characters involved in the crash or those affected by the crash.

The Characters:

Cecillia.. one of the main characters, a stewardess and survivor on the plane crash, is struggling in her marriage, her role as a mother and her past. She tends to shut down and has not come to terms with an event that happened to her while in college.

Tom .. Tom, Cecillia's husband, is a Criminal Investigation Department (CID) detective of 15 years. Adores his young son and is the primary caregiver to him. He is not sure why his wife has left him and their son, so he struggles with this. He becomes involved in the murder of a young woman which changes all he knows in his life.

Jim.. Along with his wife Esther and their son Ethan, they wait for news about Libby. Who killed her and why?

Freya.. is the daughter of the pilot, Oliver who has died in the plane crash. Questions arise over whether or not he caused the crash in some way.

These four people are inextricably involved in each other's lives as a result of the plane crash and each struggle to come to terms with the aftermath of the crash, Each chapter is told in the point of view of each of the four people. Through them we learn a bit more about the other people in their lives also, Oliver, the pilot of the plane and Richard his son for instance. As the novel goes on, the author weaves the stories of each of the four people and other people in their lives and the reader is swept along in the anger and loss that this terrible event has caused, leaving their lives in shambles.

We eventually find out how and why all the events occurred and the aftermath. Can these people overcome the events that have changed their lives forever? Maybe, maybe not, I don't want to give away the conclusion but I found this novel to be sad, very sad..a terrible event like a plane crash and the murder of a young woman is not a happy occasion and this book is not a happy book. No happy ever afters, just a feeling that all concerned will be allright.

This book moved along at a steady pace, with great character development, and real feelings and emotions. I did enjoy the book, even if it was a sad one, not all events that happen to people are happy events and as the title implies, after we fall, can we put our lives back together and move on? A book that you will enjoy and contemplate long after you have finished the last page. Emma Kavanagh is also the author of Hidden, another psychological thriller. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jun 24, 2015 |

A plane crash rocks a sleepy little town. When a murder follows on tragedy's heels and dark secrets are unearthed, no one will be left standing. What happened the night flight 220 crashed? And is the shocking murder of a policeman's daughter somehow related to this tragic event--or is it simply a devastating coincidence? Four people who have never met but are indelibly linked by these disasters will be forced to reveal the closely guarded secrets that unlock the answers to these questions. But once the truth is exposed, it may cause even more destruction.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,719,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible