Paperweight by Meg Haston

Paperweight

by Meg Haston

Horribly boring book. I couldn't connect with the primary character. She had zero redeeming qualities. ( )
  lsherrill25 | Jun 21, 2017 |
*Thank You Harper Teen for an Advanced Copy*

This book caught me off guard with it's deep rooted emotion and addicting storyline. I'm not usually keen on switching from past to present, but with this one, it worked. It added depth to the story and made me truly empathize with the lead character. Now I will warn you... Stevie is a tough character to like. She is selfish, troubled, and confused. Give it time though... Let the story progress and get ready to be surprised by many twists. In the end my heart was filled with Stevie love.

The writing in this book was great. I applaud the Author for tackling such an intense theme with poise and charm. Most of the scenes were intense, but she did throw in some witty parts that put a smile on my face. I particularly loved the swimming scene. It was the turning point for me... At that point, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

Overall, Paperweight is a story I recommend to all teen readers. It opens your eyes to a tough subject and shows you that in the darkest of times there is always a sliver of light. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
Paperweight centers around Stephanie, preferably known as Stevie, a girl suffering from an eating disorder. Stevie was forced into a treatment camp by her dad, where she meets girl with similar issues and her shrink, Anna. The book is told in the present with brief flashback of the past explaining Stevie's life before she got there. Readers get glimpses of her unhealthy friendship and romance with Eden, the recent death of her brother, her barely there father, and her nonexistent mother. Stevie's plan is to kill herself on the anniversary of her brother's death through starvation. She tries to fight any and all treatment, refusing to live because she believed she killed her brother. With the help of Anna and her new friends she finds new worth in living. Haston does a beautiful job in describing Stevie sickness and why she really believed that she should die. The book will have you in tears at how these young girls see themselves. There is advice in this book that can apply to anyone and a beautiful take away message to love yourself as you are. ( )
  maturne2 | Aug 24, 2016 |
This book hits a lot of heavy spots and is definitely not a book to take lightly as the title may suggest otherwise. I think that this book will speak to a lot of people. The force of guilt is so strong and it's so heartbreaking to see that it causes some people to get on a downward spiral. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
Even though this book gave an interesting insight into eating disorders, I found the plot slow and I did not like the main character, Stevie, at all! She was extremely self-centred and did some stupid things including drugging her room-mate with sleeping tablets, not once but on a number of occasions. I would have preferred to have had the story narrated by Ashley or Cate, two other girls living at the ED treatment centre - they were much more likeable and interesting. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
The art of losing's not too hard to master though it may look like (Write it!) like disaster.  --Elizabeth Bishop, "One Art"
For all the Stevies--and all the Shrinks who walk beside them.
Twenty-seven days to freedom, and I am caged.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,090,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible