Ice Kissed (The Kanin Chronicles) by Amanda…

Ice Kissed (The Kanin Chronicles)

by Amanda Hocking

In the second book in the Kanin trilogy, Bryn is back with the Kanin - a type of troll - after failing to bring in their enemies, Konstantin Black or Victor Dalig. After having a dream of Queen Linnea of the Skojare - another type of troll, of which Bryn happens to be half on her mother's side - she and Ridley go on a quest to save her, and try to figure out what the danger is in Skojare. But there's only so much Bryn can do as an outsider.

Color me less than impressed. I have found this series and Hocking's previous one, the Trylle Trilogy (yes, yet another type of troll), quick and fun reads on a light level when I wanted something that didn't take a lot of brain power that I could read when stressed or tired. And I did read fairly fast, but the more I think about it, the more this book falls apart. It's the second book on a series and coming right after a book I loved that also had a strong romance element, so those are definite factors. But nothing gets resolved, the required love triangle is simply annoying and neither really do it for me, and the pacing is really choppy with some elements seemingly thrown in like, oh here, we need an action sequence now. Which is too bad, because I've enjoyed the world-building and characters in the past. I'll still read the third book when it comes out, but sadly can't give a strong recommendation for this one. Probably more of interest to romance fans than fantasy. ( )
  bell7 | Jun 25, 2015 |
I liked Frostfire (book 1), so I was pretty quick to check Ice Kissed out at the library. I really can’t seem to get enough of magical fantasy worlds. And if they’re somehow interlaced with our own world, look out! I’m there!

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from Ice Kissed, other than it was a continuation of the series. It pretty much picked up where Frostfire left off and the character relationships really grew. I don’t just mean romantic relationships. Speaking of romance though, there was a quick scene that’s probably not appropriate for anyone under the age of 16 (it’s not graphic though).

I liked Bryn in Ice Kissed a little more than Frostfire. She was still a tiny bit too angsty for my taste, but I think she was better overall. Ridley is still freaking awesome, but I might be a tad sexist on this one. I actually had a “You go girl!” moment when Bryn finally called Ridley out in Ice Kissed. It helps that she was right though. I liked that we saw a little more of Hilda and Kasper. They’re just adorable.

Ice Kissed was darker than Frostfire, which I really liked. Amanda Hocking does a great job of moving her character’s emotions in a believable way within the story, no matter how crazy it gets. It makes them seem real and you start to care about what happens to them.

I really liked Ice Kissed and will be looking forward to the release of Crystal Kingdom in August. Since it is the second book in a series, I would recommend Ice Kissed if you’ve already read Frostfire.

For more reviews, check out http://reviewinapinch.com/ today! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Jun 18, 2015 |
I liked the first book and was looking forward to reading this second one. What happened from book one to book two? It was like these books were from two different series. The first one had a good character base and plot with a steady pace of action and intrigue with some romance. This book had like most of the strong characters missing, no action, and not feeling the romance. It felt a bit forced and like the author felt there needed to be a love interest or I should say a love triangle for Bryn.

In fact, I think I might have fallen asleep at a few points in this book. I did read it all but this is because I was dedicated to finishing it as I know what great potential this author has as a writer and I do like the world that the author has built for this series. I will say that the last third of the story did pick up and left a nice lead into the third book. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 8, 2015 |
I received this book as a Goodreads First Read. I really liked this book. It was different, it had a fantasy look in it, but it was set in today's world. I loved the characters, although I was sadden when one of the characters was murdered. I really did enjoy it. It also got me to look into the author's other works. ( )
  harleyqgrayson02 | May 3, 2015 |

Having failed in her mission to locate the missing Skojare Queen, and capture the ex-tracker Konstantin, tracker Bryn Aven returns to Doldastam to help prepare the kingdom for war against Viktor Dalig--but dark secrets lurk in the halls of the crystal palace, and uncovering them will threaten the half-Skojare tracker and change her life and the Kanin Kingdom forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,333,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible