Rules of Revenge by AJ Quinn

Rules of Revenge

by AJ Quinn

611,268,033 (3)None

I was apprehensive when I saw the synopsis state that part of the plot was a terrorist group bringing down three passenger jets. But, I was relieved that it turned out in the book that the violence was well done, in that there was a ton, but, it wasn't just willy nilly violence, every bit of it had a distinct point in the book.

Still, all that said, it was a hard read. Not because of the craft of the novel, I thought that it was well crafted and well written, but because of the topic. I even had to take breaks in between some of the parts because of how super intense it was.

It's the story of Darien, a covert operative, who's brought onto a team that also contains Jessie, a CIA threat analyst. They're brought together to figure out who took down the planes and stop those people from doing something worse. And of course since this book is more than just a thriller, but also a romance, Jessie and Darien's relationship shifts and changes during the novel as well.

The only thing that sorta drove me crazy about the novel was Darien. I never, even at the end, totally warmed up to the character. I think that the character was supposed to grow on me as the story went on. Maybe I'm stubborn, but, although I liked Darien a tiny bit more by the end, for the most part I just don't think I wound up liking her as much as I was supposed to.

On the other hand I especially loved all the stuff the author had in regards to Maine. I feel like Maine doesn't always get enough love from writers, it's so much different stuff, from attitudes to landscapes, etc., within its borders. And Quinn's use of Maine was almost a full half star all by itself.

I got this advanced galley through Netgalley on behalf of Bold Strokes Books. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 11, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,158,403 books! | Top bar: Always visible