Deliver Us: Three Decades of Murder and…

Deliver Us: Three Decades of Murder and Redemption in the Infamous…

by Kathryn Casey

Really a 4.5. Maps would have been helpful. Not a great book to read at bedtime! Definitely makes you look at people and places/surroundings differently.

Very timely - there have been some recent happenings on at least a couple of the cases:

catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
An excellent book by Kathryn Casey covering the murders in what is considered the "Texas Killing Fields". So many young teens and young women went missing and were murdered in the 1970s to 1980s. Kathryn tells the story of many of the victims and the search for them, along with their loved ones stories. It was very interesting. The cases are not all connected, although some are. There was more than one serial killers working the area, making it extremely difficult for detectives. But the victims' stories survived and are told here. It was a great book! Very well written and researched. I highly recommend this book. It is a must read for true crime addicts (like myself). ( )
  BonnieKernene | Feb 6, 2017 |
confusing. Jumping in time all the time. Lots of stories without any conclusion.

I do not get why this book has so many great reviews. (I had written a long review but apparently it is gone?) ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Casey tells the story of the I-45 Killing Field in this book. Fairly the book is well written. I gave it a 4 because really Casey does a better than credible job describing the different scenarios of individual victims, families, suspects, and even convicted killers. My initial instinct was to give this book a 3, but that's not really fair to Casey.

The thing is, I hated the contents of this book. To many of the victims were high risk victims that were to much like my own family and family dynamic. I cried for the little girls that died so brutally because they are the same age and are involved in the same after school activities as my own daughter. The fact that so little justice is involved in the telling of these stories. Lets face it, we can face these books because the bad guys are caught! They pose no threat to our children. This isn't Casey's fault either, therefore I was forced to re-evaluate my impulse to blame the author for my discontent.

So who would I recommend this book to? That's hard because we all like closure. It's out nature. We like books because they neatly sum up the stories and give us that needed sense of full circle. You don't get that from this book. As a result I do not think I would recommend this book. What I would say is that if you are seeking the psychological profile all clearly defined for you, this is not a good book for you.

If you read these books as I do to get a concept of the sociopathy of the individuals capable of these types of crimes, then this might be a good book for you. You will not get to the end and get to diagnose the killer. No. What you will get is the ability to apply what you have already learned.

My personal analysis is that there are multiple perpetrators involved in the i-45 murders. There is not a shared psychosis or anything so obvious. There are multiple killers with multiple MO's that can individually be analyzed to allow you to further your understanding of the abnormal mind.

Casey made me cry with this one. I don't usually do that. This book tore at my heart and my mind. This book is not one for the weak constitution.

Good luck. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Feb 26, 2016 |
I wasn't particularly acquainted with these murders which all occurred along a specific portion of the Texas I-45 near Galveston so it was all pretty much new information to me. This is my first true crime by this author also and I found her writing incredibly sympathetic to the victims and their families which I always appreciate when reading modern accounts of murder. This book covers a lot of information and many, many cases while covering a time period from the late '60s to 2000. Some victims had a short amount of time spent on them while others had chapters while Casey covered trials that brought their killers to justice. Casey manages to skillfully keep the abundant information from becoming an overload by presenting the Killing Fields' history in chronological order and revisiting cases when new evidence is found while following the future crimes. In the end, Casey names the most likely suspect in each case where viable persons of interest were suspected but evidence wasn't solid enough for an arrest. She also concludes that the sheer number of small town police, their methods and politics played a major role in the number of unsolved crimes in this area. I found this a quick, engrossing read and love Casey's writing style. I'll certainly seek out some of her other books. ( )
  ElizaJane | Apr 5, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062300490, Mass Market Paperback)

Over a three-decade span, more than twenty women—many teenagers—died mysteriously in the small towns bordering Interstate 45, a fifty-mile stretch of highway running from Houston to Galveston. The victims were strangled, shot, or savagely beaten. Six met their demise in pairs. They had one thing in common: being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:30 -0400)

Critically acclaimed author Kathryn Casey delivers a riveting account of the brutal murders of young women in the I-45/Texas Killing Fields. Over a three-decade span, more than twenty women-many teenagers-died mysteriously in the small towns bordering Interstate 45, a fifty-mile stretch of highway running from Houston to Galveston. The victims were strangled, shot, or savagely beaten. Six met their demise in pairs. They had one thing in common: being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The day she vanished, Colette Wilson waited for her mother after band practice. Best friends Debbie Ackerman and Maria Johnson loved to surf and were last seen hitchhiking. Laura Kate Smither dreamed of becoming a ballerina and disappeared just weeks before her thirteenth birthday. In this harrowing true crime exposition, award-winning journalist Kathryn Casey tracks these tragic cases, investigates the evidence, interviews the suspects, and pulls back the cloak of secrecy in search of elusive answers.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible