Black Butler, Vol. 20 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 20

by Yana Toboso

Series: Black Butler (20)

Good drawings but I saw plot holes that made me almost want to stop reading this. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
What an unexpected twist. I was both surprised and sadden for the poor Emerald Witch. And Wolfram, certainly. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
This was a spectacular addition to the Black Butler series and continues the storyline with the mysterious cursed forest, the Emerald Witch, and the wolfman. I absolutely loved it.

We get to see a very dark side to Sebastian in this book and watch as Ciel continues to struggle with the curse-induced insanity. We also learn a lot of secrets about the Emerald Witch and the town she is striving to save.

The story has a bit of a fairy tale feel to it which I enjoyed. There are some amazing twists to the story which will take the reader by surprise. This book takes this manga series back to the awesomeness of the earlier books. I also continue to really enjoy the beautiful illustration throughout.

Overall a spectacular addition to the Black Bulter series. I absolutely loved this book and highly recommend this manga series to fans of historical paranormal mysteries. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 8, 2016 |
The Queen wants Sullivan, so Sebastian forces Ciel to snap out of it by telling him that choosing not to seek revenge voids their contract, so that means he can eat him. Ciel and Sebastian figure out thatSullivan was actually helping to make something more deadly than mustard gas – the old crone was her mother, who lied and built a whole web of fake folktales just to isolate Sullivan and make sure she'd keep working. At the end, Ciel gives Sullivan a choice: either come with him, or he'll shoot her.This volume's bonus: Black Exorcist.

Okay, so the thing Sullivan's mom did was needlessly complex.For 10-13 years, she and those working with her set up a pretend village with a genius little girl as its leader. They broke her feet so that she couldn't escape and made her think the formula she was working on was actually some kind of spell. WTF? And with no guarantee that all those years of work would pay off.

As for Sebastian... Yeah, there is definitely no warm, fuzzy protectiveness towards Ciel in that corner. Ciel is future food and current entertainment, and that's it. It was kind of nice to see Sebastian start to let loose a bit, and I absolutely loved the artwork during the bit where Ciel broke free of his flashback loop – Toboso can do some absolutely gorgeous double-page spreads.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Dec 20, 2015 |
This arc is not my favorite of the bunch so far. I am hoping this series does not go on and on with endlessly new adventures to go on. We shall see I suppose. The artwork is fabulous as always. ( )
  Kassilem | Mar 25, 2015 |

Yana Tobosoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kimura, TomoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"In the hinterlands of Germany, the servants of the Phantomhive house are at a loss when their master, Earl Ciel Phantomhive, is both physically and mentally debilitated by the curse of the Wolfman that roams the Werewolves' Forest. In the face of his master's pitiful new demeanour, consummate butler Sebastian, disillusioned, viciously takes Ciel to task, citing a breach of contract. As the Phantomhive household's crisis unfolds, the sulphurous miasma of the Werewolves' Forest encroaches ever more upon the village ruled by the Emerald Witch" --Page 4 of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,256,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible