My Japanese Husband Thinks I'm Crazy:…

My Japanese Husband Thinks I'm Crazy: The Comic Book

by Grace Buchele Mineta

203515,329 (4)None

I ended up reading this book because I needed a graphic work for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge, something I wouldn't have ever opted for on my own. This happened to come up one day in an email I get of freebies and deep discounts. I'm glad it did, it was a really good book for me for two reasons. First, I don't read blogs. I don't know if I'm just to old to get into it, but I don't really get it. It's like reading someone's diary. I have GR and FB and somewhere around 2,000 actual books I would like to read, and they expect me to hold down a job on top of it all! I just don't have time. So I never would have encountered her had she not compiled a number of her blogs in book form. Second, I don't like to travel, I'm pretty anxious and scared of new things. I know I'm not going to Japan, like ever. But thanks to this book, if I ever had to, I think I might survive. Her straightforward yet amusing descriptions of various aspects of like in and around Tokyo from the perspective of a foreigner were engaging and informative - useful knowledge of everyday life - not the travel reel. It was a pleasant surprise, thank you. 3.5 really. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book thoroughly. I found the author's YouTube channel, Texan in Tokyo first. As a Texan who is a huge nerd and loves learning about other cultures, I was really excited. I then found her blog and from there her book. She kindly sent me a copy to review and I loved it.

The book is part comic, part essay about the author's life in Tokyo with her Japanese husband as an american woman and the things that result because of it. The comics are cute but very clear and easy to read. The non-comic essay portion is great for explaining the situation or other things that the reader may nor be familiar with. Overall a great fun read that I know I will be enjoying again. ( )
  Readera | Jun 3, 2015 |

Readera | Jun 3, 2015 |

My Japanese Husband Thinks I'm Crazy: The Comic Book; is the autobiographical misadventures of a native Texan freelancer (Grace) and her Japanese 'salaryman' husband (Ryosuke): in comic book form. From earthquakes and crowded trains, to hilarious cultural faux pas, this comic explores the joys of living and working abroad, intercultural marriages, and trying to make a decent pot roast on Thanksgiving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:08 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible