The Skunk by Mac Barnett

The Skunk

by Mac Barnett

Other authors: Patrick McDonnell (Illustrator)

This book is a great book for young readers. There is a man in a tuxedo suit and he is being followed by a skunk. He seems to notice it as the skunk follows his through the streets, the city, a cemetery, a fair,and the opera. This book is a great example for teaching sequencing. ( )
  RosaPerez | Nov 26, 2018 |
That master of surreal picture-book amusement, Mac Barnett, returns with this entertaining example of the form. Finding a skunk on his doorstep one day, the man in this story attempts to sidestep his visitor and walk away, only to find himself pursued. No matter where he goes, the man in followed by the skunk - even into the opera house! Eventually moving house to escape this strange follower, the man discovers that now he can't get the skunk out of his mind, and he becomes the pursuer...

I finished The Skunk with quite a chuckle! As always with Barnett, who has produced such gems as Billy Twitters and His Blue Whale Problem, I found the story quite entertaining. This seems to be his first collaboration with illustrator Patrick McDonnell, who usually works on his own picture-books, and I enjoyed the results. The artwork is quite expressive, and captures the oddball humor of the story quite nicely. Recommended to fans of either Barnett or McDonnell, and to anyone looking for quirky children's stories with unexpected endings. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 21, 2018 |
In this book there is a skunk that will not stop following the man. Everywhere the man went the skunk would follow no matter what the man tried to do to lose the skunk. One day the skunk was no longer there and the man soon realized that he might have like having the skunk around. This book would be great for lower elementary students and it could be used to teach sequencing and predictions. ( )
  hannahcole | May 1, 2017 |
That pesky skunk won't stop following the man in the story. Everywhere he went the skunk followed no matter how hard he tried to lose him. This went on and on until one day the skunk wasn't there...Where did he go? Is he okay? Maybe the man liked having the skunk around after all. This book is ideal for lower elementary students. It can be used to teach/practice sequencing events in a story. The silly story is also great for interactive read alouds. ( )
  Cayetlin_Hardeman | May 1, 2017 |
Very cute story about a man being stalked by a skunk. Clever language and writing, and the illustrations are delightful. ( )
  MrsLee | Dec 4, 2016 |

Mac Barnettprimary authorall editionscalculated
McDonnell, PatrickIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This one's for Paul Saint-Amour --M.B.
When I left my house there was a skunk on my doorstep.
"Excuse me, madam," I said, "but there seems to be a skunk on your head."

"A man is followed by a skunk all day until the tables turn."--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible