Flunked by Jen Calonita

I have loved this cover since the very first time I saw it and I hate to admit it, but I do judge a book by its cover. Luckily this time I was right and I really enjoyed Flunked. This book takes the re-telling of fairy tales and adds in flare but making the former villains head of a reform school that teaches young might-be villains the ways of good, thus reforming them for Enchantasia.

Wonderfully, you get to see villains and princesses from fairy tales we know and love and have them be the background to a new hero - Gillian. Gillian is one of the many daughters of the Cobbler and she hates the royals - they take everything and live wonderful lives while her family barely feeds themselves. When she gets thrown into reform school, she never images that she will actually reform.

Gilly is quite the main character, she loves others but looks out for her own, she is strong-willed, but also somewhat willing to change and so she grows a lot in this book. Because of her character I flew through this read, the plot was very well done and fun to read but I liked Gilly, and I liked the person she started out as and the one she becomes. It was a wonderful first book in a series and I can't wait to pick up the next one. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
A little hard to follow in places, but still enjoyable. ( )
  Dmtcer | May 4, 2016 |
I know its another fractured fairy tale. But this one had some differences I enjoyed it as usual. Signed copy
Cinderella's step mother has a reform school and she's actually good ( )
  melcbooks | Mar 16, 2016 |
I enjoy a good fairy tale which is why I was interested in this book. I like the concept of the book and it had several good scenes. Easy read and it is entertaining. ( )
  AmberKirbey | Mar 10, 2016 |
the writing was good, but not great and the story ended up a little preachy for my taste. Its target audience will likely not have the same issues with it that I did, but I just couldn't get too enthusiastic about it. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |
Would you send a villain to do a hero's job?
Happily Ever After Scrolls: Brought to you by the FairyWeb--magically appearing on scrolls throught Enchantasia for the past ten years!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149260156X, Hardcover)

Would you send a villain to do a hero's job?

Flunked is an exciting new twisted fairy tale from the award-winning author of the Secrets of My Hollywood Life series. "Charming fairy-tale fun." -Sarah Mlynowski, author of the New York Times bestselling Whatever After series.

Gilly wouldn't call herself wicked, exactly...but when you have five little brothers and sisters and live in a run-down boot, you have to get creative to make ends meet. Gilly's a pretty good thief (if she does say so herself).

Until she gets caught.

Gilly's sentenced to three months at Fairy Tale Reform School where all of the teachers are former (super-scary) villains like the Big Bad Wolf, the Evil Queen, and Cinderella's Wicked Stepmother. Harsh. But when she meets fellow students Jax and Kayla, she learns there's more to this school than its heroic mission. There's a battle brewing and Gilly has to wonder: can a villain really change?

"Fairy Tale Reform School is spellbinding and wickedly clever. Gilly is smart, spunky, and a hilarious narrator, and I cannot wait to read about her next adventure!" -Leslie Margolis, author of the Annabelle Unleashed novels and the Maggie Brooklyn mysteries

"Fairy Tale Reform School is a fresh and funny take on the enchanted world. (And who hasn't always wanted to know what happened to Cinderella's stepmother?)" -Julia DeVillers, author of the Trading Faces identical twin series and Emma Emmets, Playground Matchmaker

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:13 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible