Danger in the Darkest Hour by Mary Pope…

Danger in the Darkest Hour

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (Super Edition 1)

Sometimes I honestly don't know why I continue to read the Magic Tree House books. I'm not sure what the difference is between the the normal books and this 'super adventure' It wasn't a Merlin Mission because Merlin wasn't the reason for the journey, but could it be placed in the original 28 book series? The only problem is that Jack and Annie didn't get to know Merlin until the Merlin Missions. Anyway, this was your normal-type Magic Tree House book. I had a slight problem reading it because I know a little bit too much about WWII so Jack and Annie's carelessness (that would've gotten them arrested by the Nazis in real life), and the easily crackable code that they used, along with Teddy and Kathleen bothered me a bit. A good story for younger kids. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
Overall, I loved this book! Growing up, I read the original Magic Tree House books and loved every single one of them. I noticed this special edition series while I was at the library, and thought it’d be interesting to compare it to the other books. I thought the plot itself was really well done. It definitely encompassed fantasy between the magic tree house and the goal to help Merlin the Magician. However, more so than the fantasy, I loved the history component of the story. Reading this story, you learn a lot about World War II, D-Day, and just the overall impact that it had on the cities in Europe, which I think is great because it’s teaching kids important history lessons in a fun, different than the boring text book version. I also enjoyed how there were illustrations scattered throughout, so you could see how your imagination matched the author’s. The overall message of the story was about how the war affected lives in Europe, but also included themes of friendship, comradery, teamwork to help solve Merlin’s mystery.
I would recommend this book for third-fifth graders. I think they would really get a lot out of it content-wise, but also entertainment. This book would be perfect for students who enjoy fantasy and mystical books. ( )
  kbork1 | Apr 7, 2015 |
I read this book aloud to both of my children ages 7 and 10. My ten-year-old really got into it since there is a lot of war themes. My seven-year-old was not engaged. I could see using this as a lower level historical fiction literature circle book for intermediate students when studying WWII. ( )
  Josh.Hegna | Feb 28, 2015 |
In this book Jack and Annie have to go back in time and go into World War 2. They were sent to help a friend but the friend who asked for help was working as a spy so she had to send a letter for help in a very difficult rhyme. Jack and Annie need to solve this rhyme while hiding fro some soldiers who are hunting them down. Do you think they can do it?
I really enjoyed this book. The reason why I liked this book is because this book was very suspenseful. Another reason why I liked this book is because I enjoyed learning about World War 2 and I wanted to learn more in a fun way. ( )
  EmmaS91 | Jan 22, 2015 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In memory of my father, Colonel William P. Pope, who fought in World War II
One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.

Introducing the first Magic Tree House® Super Edition—and Jack and Annie’s most dangerous mission ever! With a longer story and additional facts and photographs, this thrilling, first Super Edition in the Magic Tree House series is an adventure no reader will want to miss!

The magic tree house has taken Jack and Annie back in time to England in 1944. England is fighting for its life in World War II. Before long, Jack and Annie find themselves parachuting into Normandy, France, behind enemy lines. The date is June 5. Will the brave brother and sister team be able to make a difference during one of the darkest times in history? They don’t know, but they have to try!

In Danger in the Darkest Hour, Mary Pope Osborne introduces readers to a vitally important historical subject.

Have more fun with Jack and Annie on the Magic Tree House® website at MagicTreeHouse.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:15 -0400)

"The magic tree house has taken Jack and Annie back in time to England in 1944. England is fighting for its life in World War II. Before long, Jack and Annie find themselves parachuting into Normandy, France, behind enemy lines. The date is June 5. Will the brave brother and sister team be able to make a difference during one of the darkest times in history?"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,993,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible