The Blackwell Family Secret: the Guardians…

The Blackwell Family Secret: the Guardians of Sin

The Blackwell Family Secret: The Guardians of Sin by Jonathan L. Ferrara

Nicolas Blackwell was orphaned at age seven when two demonic men killed his parents . He finds he has a Guardian Angel and that he is holding the Seven deadly sins. His is tricked by a serpent and the sins are released. It is now up to him and his friend Amy to go to the city of Demonio and defeat the seven Guardians of the sins.

Young Nicholas is very likable, along with Amy. They face many dangerous creatures and have to work together to conquer them. There is a lot of danger, action, drama, suspense and secrets . The characters are well developed , the plot is original and detailed, making you feel part of the story. I liked the blending of religion and fantasy, it made a very interesting page turning read.

I highly recommend The Blackwell Family Secret: The Guardians of Sin to lovers of fantasy , (adult and y/a readers). The cover is very fitting to the story, it captures Nicholas and his mission perfectly. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Mar 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This story pulled me in straight from the beginning and invested me in the lead character with relative ease. It came with an interesting take on myths and legends, which always intrigues me. Angels and demons are fascinating and fortunately it doesn't over do it with religious elements. There were some shortcomings, but nothing that ruined my experience in reading this book. I do hope there will be some sort of sequel. Overall an enjoyable read. ( )
  HopefirewindLove | Feb 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book a quick read (only took me a few hours) but really pulled me in. Their are a lot of secrets in this book and while most can be guessed quite quickly others take a bit more time, which keeps you wanting to keep reading. It's definitely a YA Christian Adventure book (if such a genre exists). The story moves quickly, which is a positive for YA and the interesting landscapes in the Demon town were really interesting to read about.

Yes there were shortcomings; a story line with a person that hurt his family ends quickly and without any satisfaction, somebody tries to kill the main character who has no real motivation and seems just there to propel another character into their position. But overall it was a fun romp to read. ( )
  CurlyQueL | Jan 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the novel, The Blackwell Family Secret by Jonathan L. Ferrara. I like to read how an author might interpret myths and legends, especially when they add a spin of fantasy. The characters blended well with the story, however I do wish there had been more history on each of the main characters, especially Nicholas’s parents. Although the book was a bit predictable towards the end it does set up for a sequel. I would have liked to read more about some of the other characters. If there was a sequel I only hope there would be more twists and surprises. Good story and fast read. ( )
  llovell | Jan 19, 2015 |
* Slight Spoilers Ahead! *
How to say, for a Christian themed novel, The Blackwell Family Secret is not, and I repeat not a book to be passed on just because of that! Following Nicholas and his freinds, Amy, Theodore, and Pugdush through their journey in Demonio was thrilling and awesome!
As an avid Atheist myself I was worried there would be too many religious ideas to try to 'convert' me? ( dumb idea ) This story is based around the themes of angels and demons fighting for control of the human world. Not too much bible thumping happens though, I would call this about.. As religious as Supernatural or Buffy.
Not to compare but reading this book really reminded me of the Harry Potter books and Jim Henson movies, where it centers around a young orphan trying to find out his family's secret and his role in their legacy. This all ties in of course with the big villain in the end explaining how... Similar they are.
All in all I would defiantly reccomend this book to anyone who likes books.
Also the demon are described with great detail, really painted the whole picture. ( )
1 vote shain.johnson | Jan 11, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book The Blackwell Family Secret: The Guardians of Sin was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,455,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible