The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan

The Christmas Surprise

by Jenny Colgan

Recently added byprivate library, swimmergirl1, chrisac, bookworm2bookworm, cctesttc1

This is my first time reading a Jenny Colgan novel and I loved it. It made me want to move to the English countryside village and savor snow days at Christmas.

Despite the predictability of the plot, I enjoyed the drama because it was someone elses for a change ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I really enjoy Jenny Colgan's books. They're filled with sweet lead characters, a quirky supporting cast and always a lovely little village setting. Colgan writes a number of series. The Christmas Surprise is part of the Rosie Hopkins series. Note that this was released as Christmas at Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop in Britain in 2013. This latest edition has a new cover and has been released as an e-book.

I happily settled in for the night with a pot of tea and a warm throw and lost myself in the village of Lipton. (For those not familiar with the series or characters, Colgan provides a lovely prologue, full of descriptions of players, relationships and what's gone on before. She's quite funny!)

Rosie and her fiance Stephen have the best of news - and the worst of news around Christmastime. The Christmas Surprise takes us through a year of life with this village and its inhabitants ending with the next Christmas. And in between, there are hopes, dreams, desires, missteps, miscommunications - and lots and lots of love.

Yes, some of the characters are cliched - but I enjoyed them all. And I would be quite happy, living in Lipton. I wish there were truly communities such as this that cared about each other. I love reading this type of tale - knowing there's a 'happy ever after' at the end. Warm, witty and oh so perfect for this time of the year. ( )
  Twink | Dec 21, 2016 |
This is third in the 'Rosie Hopkins series though it's not necessary to have read the others. There are depths to this book which I was not expecting, and some very moving scenes. While many of the minor characters are somewhat caricatures it means they’re easy to remember. Rosie and Stephen, the main characters, are more believable and I found myself relating well to them both.

The ending is perhaps rather too tidy, involving someone behaving rather out-of-character. I liked it a lot, but it did feel a bit forced, as if the author was tying up a lot of loose ends in a happy-ever-after fashion.
At the end there are a few Christmas recipes, which made a nice extra feature.

My one gripe with the book is the amount of bad language. The occasional expletive doesn’t worry me, but there was more than I’m comfortable with. This means I’m less likely to recommend this to some of my friends who would otherwise have enjoyed it.

The writing is informal, well-paced and with a good amount of conversation. I found it an easy read, ideal for the run-up to Christmas, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a light but thought-provoking novel.

Longer review at http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=The_Christmas_Surprise_by_Je... ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This book is a follow up to Rosie Hopkins Sweatshop of Dreams and it would be easier to follow this book if you read them in order. Both books are great fun. Jenny Colgan writes a fun book that has you laughing out loud. Rosie was trained as a nurse but then moved from London to a small town in England to help her aunt with a small sweatshop. Rosie gets in all sorts of problems because she is a city girl living in the country. In the new book she has acclimated to country life and gotten engaged but is trying to have a baby. The book is fun and fresh and a great read. ( )
  susan0316 | Jan 4, 2015 |

Includes mouth-watering recipes. Rosie Hopkins, newly engaged, is looking forward to an exciting year in the little sweetshop she owns and runs. But when fate strikes Rosie and her boyfriend, Stephen, a terrible blow, threatening everything they hold dear, it's going to take all their strength and the support of their families and their Lipton friends to hold them together. After all, don't they say it takes a village to raise a child?Treat yourself and your friends to Jenny Colgan's heartwarming new novel this Christmas.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,621,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible