Ticker by Lisa Mantchev

Ticker

by Lisa Mantchev

Penny Farthing is not having an easy time of it. The doctor responsible for implanting her prototype clockwork heart is on trial for multiple murders he committed while working on an improved heart for her. While heading to the trial there's an explosion at her family's warehouse and shortly thereafter Penny discovers her parents have been kidnapped. And then all hell really breaks loose. Working with her twin brother, Nic, and their two best friends Sebastian and Violet, Penny must find her parents and thwart the doctor's plans that threaten the entire empire of Industria.

A rollicking good read. Mantchev creates a wonderful steampunk world in which to let her characters loose. While the first half of the novel feels a bit breakneck in its pace as one calamity after another arises, the book is never dull. Penny and her crew of friends are a delightful bunch and while the plot moves along so quickly that character development becomes a secondary concern, they aren't just stick figures on which to hang fantastic Victorian costumes and impressive steampunk weapons. I also enjoyed that the minor paranormal element that's included in the novel is in line with the Victorian era's obsession with seances and mesmerism. A completely fun read that I highly recommend whether you're a steampunk fan or have never encountered the genre before. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 15, 2017 |
This was a very entertaining story. The vocabulary and wording are different from any books I've read before, but not in a bad way. She pulls you into the story by her use of peculiar vocabulary and wording. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. ( )
  dingesa27 | Dec 6, 2016 |
Quirky, interesting, and unexpected, though less compelling and engaging than I'd hoped. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 22, 2016 |
2.5 stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

A pretty cover and an original idea should be the basis of a great book. Unfortunately, Ticker failed to make my expectations come true.

After requesting this title I started to see a flow of negative reviews coming in. However, I was not discouraged by them and hoped that I would enjoy it more, as I usually quite like steam punk. The original idea was indeed really interesting, but I also have some problems with the book. It wasn't one of the best books I've read but neither so bad as the one star ratings the book is receiving.

I admit it was quite of a slow start, but I tend never to give up on books and I felt like it became better. You're just completely thrown into the story at the start that I didn't have a clue as what was going on and why, and who are all these characters anyway?

Penny has a bad heart. To stop her from dying, surgeon Calvin Warwick invents a mechanical heart for her. At the beginning of the book Warwick is on trial for his life after it has been discovered that he experimented on (and killed several) humans to create this 'Ticker'.

It's really weird, but all the while it felt as if I was reading the second or third instalment in a series rather than a standalone. There's so much reference to the events leading to the ticker being installed in Penny that it feels like there's a book about it I should have read. But according to my best knowledge it truly is a standalone novel. (I normally really appreciate if not everything is spit out literally in a story, but this just made me feel lost and was confusing). Probably this was why I didn't connect with any of the characters and the world didn't feel real (or very steampunk for that matter; it was just loads and loads of metal basically).

I'd liked to get to know more about the back story, since that seemed really interesting. The story in Ticker was okay but not as special or original as I had hoped. You must be wondering now why I wanted to give this book 2.5 stars, but it's because despite the fact that it obviously has quite some flaws I did for one reason or another enjoy reading it.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Full review to come. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Steampunk YA. Who knew I would like it?

I don't remember what I thought this book would be like. But it couldn't have been anything like it was. For I wouldn't have picked it up in that case. But what a happy accident this turned out to be.

Penelope Farthing suffers from a congenital heart defect that has taken both her sisters already. In her alternate universe, she is Augmented with a clockwork heart. But the surgeon who saved her life did so at the expense of unwilling test subjects. And Penny, her brother, their friends, & the Legatus of the Ferrum Viriae must put an end to Warwick, amid explosions, kidnappings, vehicle chases, and nonstop mayhem.

This book is wonderfully imaginative. Mantchev lovingly crafts this alternate reality, seamlessly constructing the story in a way that the reader understands the fictional creations without interrupting the flow of the narrative at all.

At the heart of it, like with any great book, are characters vividly drawn, an interesting story, & the desire to know, "what happens next???" It's easy for lesser authors to get lost in the trappings, and fail to make the story paramount. But Mantchev avoids that, delivering a delightful story with a heroine you'll want to spend lots more time with. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible