Toured to Death by Hy Conrad

Toured to Death

by Hy Conrad

Amy and her mother Fanny are attempting to find a niche in the travel business. They concoct a travel tour in Europe, aimed at mystery lovers, in which members will follow clues set forth by actors in the beginning (similar to a mystery dinner affair) and then conduct the rest of the investigation on their own. This turns into a mystery within a mystery, with enough intrigue, motive and red herrings to keep me guessing until the end. All this activity seems to be just what Amy needs. She's not just shy, but listless, after the death of her fiancé two years previous. Half of the book is set back in New York, and Amy is able to demonstrate a lot of strength of character while helping find the real killer. ( )
  ethel55 | Feb 27, 2015 |
Amy and her mother own a travel agency. Their newest venture is a mystery tour in Italy. The tour group members will form teams representing various suspects in the murder mystery game. The twist is that the mystery is based on a real unsolved murder...and then one of the tour is killed. Is one of them a murderer?
The mystery started slowly and it took quite awhile to warm up to the characters. Soon, I was caught up in the story and enjoyed the linked mysteries. ( )
  aztwinmom | Feb 6, 2015 |
4 stars

The setting is something that sounds cool to me a Mystery tour set in trip to Europe. The owners are mother and daughter. Fanny and Amy. Amy is leading the tour. Amy is shy and does not like limelight. Fanny is more outgoing and daring.

The murder mystery they find out is based on a real case. The writer after he is paid is murdered back in New York. There is someone following the tour that works for the writer. Amy has no idea who that is. Also no one on the tour knows who the murder is on the tour. Amy gets the clues only a day ahead and instructions on where to place the clues.

Tour is going good until it starts going wrong. One of the ladies on the tour is murdered. The others of the group don't believe that the person the Italy police arrested is the murder. They think the three different murder cases are related. From San Francisco 4 years ago, New York and Italy.

I would read more of this series. It tied up the cases in a good way. I guessed some of it but not all of it. The mystery was good. I liked the characters. It was also clean read.

I was given this ebook to read by Net Galley and Kensington Books. In return I agreed to give a honest review of Toured to Death. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Jan 28, 2015 |
Travel agents Amy and her mother, Fanny own "Amy's Travel" in New York City. Fanny takes care of the business end while Amy is managing their first mystery-themed excursion in Europe. It's a road rally in which the guests compete to solve a fictional murder along the way. The trip goes along swimmingly until the writer, they hired to script the mystery is found dead in his New York apartment. Suddenly, Amy and her mother must solve a real-life case.
I found this book a bit confusing at times. It was a murder mystery tour with a few murders thrown in. I had a bit of a problem keeping the game characters straight from the murder suspects. I'll be interested to read the author's next book. Hopefully it won't be as confusing to me.
I won this book from Goodreads. ( )
  bah195 | Jan 19, 2015 |
There are murder mystery weekends where the attendees try to solve the murder well, this was a road rally with the same idea. Clues were spread throughout 4 countries and islands and the participants have time trials getting from one site to the next.

The concept sounds like a blast until there is a real murder. Then everyone is trying to solve the murder to save one of their own. ( )
  cyderry | Dec 31, 2014 |
"My, I'll bet you monsters lead interesting lives.  I said to my girlfriend just the other day, "Gee, I'll bet monsters are interesting." I said. " The places you must go and the things you must see." - Bugs Bunny
To Kent Holloway who started it all by saying, "Write a novel already."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,016,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible