The Pepper in the Gumbo (Men of Cane River,…

The Pepper in the Gumbo (Men of Cane River, #1)

by Mary Jane Hathaway

What a lovely book!

Definitely a 5-star read. Excellent characters, great scenery descriptions (I could smell the musty old books when they were mentioned), and a good, clean story. Thanks for writing it!

If you enjoy a little romance between two people with some mystery thrown in for good measure, this is a book for you. I practically read it straight through. ( )
  CRMJones | Jan 4, 2017 |
This book has a lot of similarities to the movie, "You've Got Mail." But the movie is funnier than this book. It's a good read. A clean read. Great for Christians to pick up without a worry in the world. But I feel that this book lacks humor. The two characters, Paul and Alice, are clean-cut folks, but they have a different vision for this Louisiana town. While I like the characters,I feel that Ms. Hathaway could have beefed up the story with some humor, sarcasm, and wit. The use of poetry is great, but it shouldn't have to be the only thing they do in their communication. ( )
  caslater83 | Nov 12, 2016 |
I was trawling the free ebooks on goodreads searching for something to read and was disheartened by the selection available(horror, vampires, paranormal etc) I definitely was looking for something other than this when I found this book. I read it in 2 days!

It definitely helps that I'm a big fan of Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskell and similar. The plot line for this book reminded me of the film "You've Got Mail" which is referenced in the book. I really enjoyed reading it and will seek further books by this author writing under several mysterious pen names.

Extremely readable, especially for period classics fans and those who love the period drama adaptations on TV. The dig at modern technology with the various quotes under the chapter headings was a nice touch too. I highly recommend to all those who would rather be living in a by-gone era and for those who just want something less gruesome and more wholesome than the current market seems to provide. ( )
  sparkleandchico | Aug 31, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,122,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible