The Harbour Master II: The Maze by Daniel…

The Harbour Master II: The Maze

by Daniel Pembrey

332,001,085 (4.67)None

This second installment of Daniel Pembrey's Harbor Master series, "The Maze," maintains the high bar that was set with the first. Plot, characterization, atmosphere and setting are all flawlessly executed.

In this outing, we come to know Henk and his family even more, as well as those he works with. Each person comes alive with all their flaws and foibles, which makes them more real and human to the reader.

Once again, you're transported to the mean streets of Amsterdam, as well as Berlin this time around, as you wind your way through the labyrinthine story. It's amazing how the author can come up with a plot that truly is a maze, and yet is completely fleshed out, doesn't get so convoluted that you can't follow it, and manages to wrap up neatly (with the exception of a little cliff-hanger ending) within the constraints of a novella.

If you're not reading these absolute gems of crime fiction, you need to start immediately. Everything from the pen of Daniel Pembrey is a special treat. ( )
  DTChantel | Jun 12, 2017 |
Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google

'The Maze' is a succinct description for the second in The Harbour Master series. Henk, the seasoned, world worn detective enjoys a short break with his long suffering wife, interrupted by his only political ally, currently working in Brussels. Again Henk puts work before his personal life and risks compounding the family tension with his daughter.

A series of new and unsolved crimes force Henk to question those in authority and make him wary of his peers. Still in the shadow of an unsolved suspicious death Henk finds himself at the centre of a political scandal that only he wants to expose.

The players in this mysterious thriller are numerous all provide essential clues to the true crime. Relationships both personal and work orientated are explored as they entangle but Henk must visit many expertly constructed dead ends before he finds the truth.

Henk is a clever detective, a maverick, he threatens the establishment but is a true advocate for justice. His wife Pernilla and long time army friend Johann thankfully have his back often at great personal cost.

The dramatic ending provides a satisfying conclusion to 'The Maze' but reveals a new crime for Henk to solve. There are also problems closer to home for Henk to explore in the next of his adventures perhaps.

A worthy second chapter of The Harbour Master series, 'The Maze' is a mind provoking story; fast paced action interwoven with a vivid, realistic setting and detailed characters and relationships.

I received a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review. ( )
  jane.hunt.509511 | Nov 18, 2014 |
Synopsis/blurb……

In the latest Harbour Master story, maverick Amsterdam cop Henk van der Pol roves further afield, to Rotterdam, Antwerp and Brussels – investigating a maze-like set of cases involving diamonds, fine art, drugs and high-class prostitution. What connects the cases, and what risks must Henk run to uncover the criminals? Impeding him is his rival and boss Joost, who has an equal but quite separate interest in the investigation’s outcome. Upon discovering the connection between the cases, Henk must confront challenges at a higher and more dangerous level of the Dutch state.

"Pembrey is a master of short form fiction. His snappy dialogue, tight plots and varied European settings guarantee a fast, enjoyable read that is hard to put down."
Paul Pilkington, author of the bestselling Emma Holden series (Hodder & Stoughton)
-----------------------------
My take....

I read and enjoyed Daniel Pembrey’s earlier Harbour Master novella back in May. Our return visit sees Henk under pressure from above. He has a bit of a persecution complex going on with his boss. Hey – just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you! His relationship with his wife seems solid though at times she’s not impressed by continually taking second place to the job. His connection to his daughter and her new Russian boyfriend, seems as difficult as previously. Nadia does have time for him, but only when she is after something in return.

We begin when Rem Lottman, a Dutch politician who moves and shakes it in EU circles in Brussels, calls in a favour from Henk. He wants him to smooth any difficulties when a Ghanaian diplomat enters the country, avoiding any custom’s scrutiny. Henk agrees in the belief that he can use Lottman’s influence later to get Joost off his back and recover some measure of control over his investigative unit.

As before we have a fast paced narrative with a lot going on…….stolen art work, smuggled diamonds, a dead Norwegian diplomat, a beaten prostitute, a Ukrainian biker gang, an old-school Dutch crime lord living on a boat and harvesting a £30 mill cannabis crop, politicians, corruption, military police…… to mention just a few strands.

Satisfying how much Pembrey packs into the tale in a short period of time – 100 odd pages, whilst still allowing our main man a life outside of his job. Character depth is important otherwise I have little interest in the outcome. Pembrey delivers again!

I can’t see that our author will endear himself to the Amsterdam tourist board with his depiction of this Dutch city! It worked for me though.

4 from 5

My review of the earlier Harbour Master tale is here.

There’s a third installment entitled Ransom due out in December. I have already pre-ordered my copy.

Daniel Pembrey’s website is here.

I received my copy of this from the author in return for an honest review.

http://col2910.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11... ( )
  col2910 | Nov 2, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,563,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible