Hell Is Coming (Watchers Book 1) by N.P.…

Hell Is Coming (Watchers Book 1)

by N.P. Martin

Amazing story I loved the way the characters went with the groove. Amazing & strong willed characters the story takes you on the ride of your life a well developed story you can sink your teeth into. This series I do so hope to read all of in the future as I enjoyed reading this first book so so very much I would be so delighted to recommend this wonderful book to my friends also who else love these books my thanks to the amazing author Neal Martin for the privilege and pleasure of reading this wonderful book. So to all you lovely peoples happy reading from wee me.😉😆 ( )
  weelinda | Dec 4, 2016 |
First of all, a word of caution. Perhaps I was misinformed but I picked up this book because I was told it was suitable for young adult readers. I disagree strongly with this evaluation. This novel is clearly targeted at new adult (18+) readers. There's gore, drug use, lots of swearing and one particularly graphic sex scene (one that the author really went out of his way to shoehorn into the story and was so brutally explicit that I personally felt it lost any kind of appeal that my have had).

With that out of the way, let's look at the story. I actually do rather like the urban fantasy genre and thought that this novel sounded promising from the premise. While the narrative is a little clumsy and sometimes poorly formatted, it is at least a fast paced story that is quick to get to the action and maintains a rapid pace thereafter.

However, the story itself is basically Supernatural. It's very clear that the author is a fan of this series as the novel reads a lot like fan-fiction. The Watchers function in the same way as the hunters do and the story is awash with knives that can kill demons, binding spells, angels, crossroads demons that trade in souls and black-eyed, body stealing monsters. There really wasn't anything in this novel that felt original. Maybe this will appeal to huge fans of the show but, for me, it was just too derivative.

I also personally disliked the climax of the story. While I won't give too much away in case you intend to read this novel, I did feel that it just piled up too many deus ex machinas to allow Leia to save the day. It was all just far too easy. After less than a week of training, Leia proves to be able to fight off monsters that no other Watcher could even hope to defeat, using powers that are never explained. I hope that some reasoning behind this is given in later books in the series because otherwise it's all just horribly confusing.

I also found the characters to be rather frustrating. I could never connect with Leia. Although she was supposed to be eighteen, she acted way younger than this. Whenever anything didn't go her way, she would throw a violent temper tantrum and/or storm off. Even though she knew that she was untrained and that there were demons hunting her. Really smart there, heroine. I also didn't think it was very believable that Frank and Eva would follow her every order. Leia was the rookie, they were both experienced Watchers. Shouldn't they be the ones calling the shots?

Beyond Leia, no other character really got any development. We discover a few things about Frank's past but none of them really seemed to give him any depth. Every other character was just paper thin, either serving as shock deaths or vanishing for chunks of the story (Josh) or simply being introduced purely for the sex scene (Lucas).

All in all, this wasn't for me. It might appeal to someone who's a big Supernatural fan (though please do note that it's way more graphic than Supernatural in terms of both sex and violence), but other than that there are far better stories of this type out there. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jun 9, 2016 |
I received a copy of Hell is Coming by N.P. Martin, through Library Thing.

First I would like to say that I am currently staring a picture of Neal and ummm…this is exactly what I thought Frank would look like. I swear this is the face my mind’s eye conjured up while reading this book.

Well, now that I have finished this book, I am very sad. I have nothing notable to read until the copy of book 2 arrives. I got this copy in exchange for a review, but I was about ¾ through it when I went to Amazon and purchased the new one Hell is Here.

I had to get the new one because this one is so wonderful, so awesome that I just knew the withdrawals would kill me until I could get back to Leia and see what she would do next.

Neil, you are an amazing storyteller. Very detailed and extremely intriguing. I couldn’t put this book down and I didn’t care. I got sucked into your world and would really have no problem staying there. This book is a very strong stand alone, no doubt, but you are clever because you set us up for the pre-quel and the sequel. I want Frank’s background story now. I also want to stay with Leia. No problem, I can read two books at once, while watching TV, playing on my phone and playing with my dogs. I’m good like that! Lol But seriously….

To the folks that are about to embark on this journey…have a blast and make some time for yourself. You won’t want to put this down. If you are a fan of urban fantasy you will love this book for staying true to the genre and keeping it real. If you are not a fan but are just checking it out….Thank goodness you picked this book because I am sure you will try more now. ( )
  juliehall2015 | Jun 22, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,324,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible