Discern (Katon University Book 1) by Andrea…

Discern (Katon University Book 1)

by Andrea Pearson

Discern (Katon University #1) by Andrea Pearson is an exciting and unique fantasy novel for young adults, although I am 60 and loved it too! It is full of strange creatures, suspense, magic, hint of romance, mystery, action, and lots of smaller mysteries in the bigger mysteries. The plot is exciting and action-packed and never dull. There are plenty of twist and turns that keep you guessing. The fantasy is fresh and different. Love that alone! So many mysteries left undone so I am off to read book 2! The characters are developed and unique. Wonderful job! Enjoyed it tremendously! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Aug 14, 2016 |
Nicole Williams is an Arete--the fourth child born in a family. All fourth children have magical abilities and they can be either wind, fire, earth, or water. Nicole is a wind Arete and she can't seem to channel her magic. She feels like she is the only one that can't.

She and her best friend Lizzie are at Katon University, going to school. Lizzie is good at her magic. And then there is Austin, a rare Arete who doesn't have to channel his magic. Nicole wants to go to Arches National Park on an archeological trip with Austin and other students. But she has to pass tests and one is to show that she has her power. She does make the trip to Arches. There they find power and something else. Something that makes them all afraid. Will Nicole learn to control her powers? Will she find out how and what item to use to channel it? Will she and her friends have to use their power to keep the evil back and make it out alive?

This is a fantastic story--no foul language and a little bit of romance, just enough to tease you--you know it's there. the characters are well thought out and there is very little angst--I'm glad the characters are a bit more adult and not spoiled teens. I can't wait to get to the next book and find out more about Nicole and Austin.

I got this book by the recommendation of the author, and I'm glad I got to read such a well-written story. ( )
  Cricket2014 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I received a free copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Discern is the first in Katon University book series and is about Nicole who is an Arete, a fourth child who has magical powers. We first meet Nicole as she begins classes at Katon University, a school for aretes. However, Nicole has not discovered what her focus is and has not produced any magic and is feeling self-conscious about being surrounded by others who have. What makes her situation worse (in her own eyes) is that neither of her parents are arête and they seem kind of embarrassed by Nicole's.

What is really cool about this book is there are a few ongoing mysteries and some are solved in this one, but others will be resolved in later books. For example, Nicole and her best friend, Lizzie, live in an apartment which has a spider issue and has a had a few student disappearances over a few years, too. On top of that, Nicole seems to have awakened a book and now this book keeps appearing near her.

And the big mystery of the book is the strange magical pulses in a place in Utah. One of the professors is hosting a trip to this place, Arches to investigate it and in order to prove herself to the other students, Nicole puts her name down to go. But, one of the tests she has to pass is to produce magic. I must admit, I really did enjoy the layers of this book and all the fun characters that we meet as well as the magic, all the mysteries surrounding the school, plus a really interesting twist.... ( )
  slimy07 | Dec 10, 2014 |
4 STARS

I can see why this book is called a soft horror. If you really are scared of spiders you might freak at one scene. I don't like them but did not like thinking of the one scene. There is a body count. So I would not recommend this book to young children who you did not want your kids to see Harry Potter book 7.

This is my first book of Andrea Pearson's that I have read but it won't be the last. Can't wait till the next full book comes out
in Katon University.

I did not the book down. It was interesting and I wanted answers to all the puzzles about Nicole.

Nicole Williams is the central figure. She is just starting college. She is a fourth child which makes her have magic and called Arete. Nicole got her power late and still has not figured out how to use it. Katon University is one of three Arete University in the states.
Nicole also has problems with her parents. She is talented and smart.

Nicole has so much drama happening around her. Spiders are getting into her room and no matter what they do seems to get worse each night. A book follows her around. Austin the most powerful freshman seems to ignore her, like her and stares at her.

There is lots of violence the last part of the book. But not the kind you might be used too.

I like the characters, want more of them. It would make a great movie too.

I was given this ebook to read and in ( )
  rhonda1111 | Nov 2, 2014 |

Andrea Pearson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,420,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible