Nocte by Courtney Cole

Nocte

by Courtney Cole

Series: Nocte (1)

Want to know if the whole series is worth reading? Read my overall review of the whole series at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

**I received a copy of this book from the author. All opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I really enjoyed Courtney Cole's New Adult book [b: If I Stay|4374400|If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)|Gayle Forman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347462970s/4374400.jpg|4422413]. It's probably one of my favourite New Adult reads because it fits the genre so well. Needless to say, when the opportunity presented itself to read this one, I couldn't say.

WOW, what a ride this book was! I thought I had everything figured out and then all my expectations were blown out of the water. This is one of those books that stays with you for a long time because you simultaneously wonder "how did I miss that?" and "how could I ever see that coming".

This book played with all my emotions--in a totally great way. It's dark yes, but in a refreshing way. It's not meant to shock you just because it can; rather it shocks you in a very realistic way that makes you think.

I can't wait to see what happens next in this series. Definitely hooked!

Full Review: http://wp.me/p3txrs-19Z
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
Okay, so this one was a 3 star read for me. If I was rating the writing it would have been 5 shining stars. It was fast paced and kept me turning the pages. Unfortunately though, the story was overwhelming and well... It had a killer cliffhanger. That's where the 3 comes into play.

At the beginning we get a note from the Author warning us of the dark nature of this book. Was it really that dark? Not for me. I have read dark reads with taboo scenes and off the wall plots... This one was a mind f* with a bit of horror.

The best part of the book was definitely the first chapter. I felt connected to the characters and my heart squeezed at realness of the scene. After that though, My connection started drifting. I became tangled up in the story and I felt stuck. As I read each word I mentally tried to push the ropes away. The twists and turns and secrets eventually took over and held me captive.

I really liked that the story was different. It just felt like there was so much going on that it was hard to follow along. Then at the end... You literally will want to go back and try to figure out where you missed the critical parts. I would have like the answers to be just below the surface, not buried 6 feet under. The digging was mentally frustrating and the cliffhanger killed me.

When it comes to series' I really like each book to have some sort of closure. I think that if a book is good enough you don't need a cliffhanger to suck readers into a book 2 or book 3.

For me this book was entertaining, but just not my reading taste. I definitely recommend that you give it a try though... Many people love it!

ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
This book has a lot of mystery and secrets, there is a bit of sanity and a lot of lunacy… I was a bit frustrated with the secrets Dare and Finn seemed to have but I must say that it all fits and in the end all was forgiven ;-). I won’t say much more about the plot but this: Calla has a twin brother named Finn. He is her best friend, her half soul. Finn was also diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder since he was a child. Calla has always felt the need to take care of her brother and she is his saving grace. But then, after a sudden tragedy in her family, during one of her brother's therapy sessions, she meets Dare DuBray and she is immediately attracted to him. Calla starts to hang out with Dare and in doing so distances herself from Finn, but she's also torn because Finn’s mind seems to be seriously slipping. We see the POV of Calla and of Finn who is getting more erratic in his writing and is convinced that he has to save Calla and that she can save him. And if you think you know where this will go and you’ve got it all figured out, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Another book that will leave you feeling disoriented, and a promising cliffhanger for the follow-up Verum. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
5 Stars
Although i hate cliffhangers but it was good.. A thriller like that is worth to wait for next book.
It was a very well written, full of suspense and emotions. but yeah i must say it reminded me of a Japanese movie translated into english as A Tale of Two Sisters (if anyone has watched it)
It kept me wondering throughout the story what was the secret of Finn. And at some point i was impatient, i was like For God's sake Calla for the love of God read that damn journal fast please. If i were at her place, i would have read such a suspicious thing in a couple of hours,keeping the whole world aside.
It is that kind of book which you want everyone to read so that you can discuss it with every other person.

“I’m doing all I can to stay afloat in a sea of insanity, but I’m drowning more and more each day.”

"Sometimes that’s how life is. A puzzle made up of a million pieces, and when one piece doesn’t exactly fit, it throws the rest of them off.”

This story was just like a puzzle. In the end when you complete that puzzle you get to see the clear picture of that entire plot. But then you find out that one piece is still missing, That's the Cliff...
Waiting desperately for the next book.
Read it for sure. Recommended to everyone. ( )
  MadihaJ | Jul 27, 2015 |
Originally Posted At fANGIRLconfessions: http://fangirlavue.blogspot.com/2015/04/now-playing-nocte-fangirl-remix.html

Track One: Save Me And I'll Save You

Tika is NOT a happy camper.
If you remember my April BOTM post, you would have noticed that Nocte was one of the titles listed in the poll. Although you readers chose The Girl On The Train instead, I couldn't help but to pick this up as well -- I mean come on, the cover is beyond beautiful! Mix that with it's intriguing synopsis, plus the rating it has on goodreads, and you'll have the recipe for a damn good New Adult novel right?

* Sigh * Unfortunately No.

Starting off, Nocte was actually pretty good. It's presented as a contemporary, but to my surprise the author added in some twisted, dysfunctional aspects, wrapped it in a bow, then handed it back to me. To say I was excited would be a complete understatement. Told in alternate chapters between Calla Price and her twin brother Finn, we experience first hand just how screwed up individuals could actually be. After their mother was involved in a tragic accident, Calla, her mortician father, and her mentally ill twin, are trying to cope with life following their lost . . . the word trying is used as an exaggeration.

Track Two: Duo

As I mentioned earlier, this story is told in alternate chapters between the twins, and right off the bat I knew I would be more interested in Finn's POV than Calla's. While Calla was going boy-crazy over the dark, mysterious, and oh so British-ly handsome Adair Dubray, her brother however, was fighting with inner demons . . . the voices in his head. He begins to notice the liking his sister is taking towards Dare, and in his last attempts to not bring his twin in the darkness with him, he struggles to not let the voices take over, just long enough to keep Calla alive. Sounds amazing right? But with the concept and plot twist that this story consists of, the execution must be SPOT on. There's really no room for error, and for me there was quite a bit. From Calla's annoying-ness, to Dare's interesting character faltering and becoming flat, to the plot twist that held so much promise, but was mangled with pointless discoveries, Nocte easily slipped from the 4 star slot down to a measly 2.

Bonus Track: What I Liked & Disliked
Press Play: Likes
Finn's character & POV. Finn definitely put the fun in dysfunction in this book. Suffering from a mental disorder called SAD, in his POV we witness just how off the rocker he tried so hard not to be. On the outside he seemed completely normal, but inside that head of his, all hell was breaking loose.

She doesn't deserve you. Kill her you f---ing pussy kill her now. Push her off the cliffs. Lick her bones. Lick her bones. Lick her bones.
(I'm squealing with delight. )

The Setting. The story was set in Oregon Washington, in the gloomy mountainside town of Astoria. Our characters lived in a funeral home, so being surrounded by death, the craziness of Finn, and the constant rain, you have yourself a mood that's both dark and creepy.

Adair Dubray Adair, better know as Dare, was not only a breath of fresh air for Calla, but for me as well. He was tall, with dark hair and onyx eyes, a British accent (drools) and was quite mysterious. We have no clue as to why he moved to Astoria, or who he's visiting in the hospital, all we know is that he's gorgeous, likes to read & draw, and drives a motorcycle. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough for me.

When I'm upset, he calms me. When I'm breathless he gives me air. When I'm sad, he buoys me. That's all that matters right?
(No you dummy.)

Press Stop: Dislikes
Calla's character & POV. Calla was the epitome of a lost girl in search of something, anything to fill a void. She was okay in the beginning, but very quickly she became more than annoying. First of all, it irritated my soul to see that Calla, at the age of 18 was so fixated on doing something she had NEVER done before. Her desperation to have sex with Dare was so freaking off putting, like seriously to the point I thought she was going to rape the poor boy! Thank goodness he was mature and didn't take advantage of her, but yeah, I'd be quite satisfied if Calla was removed from the story . . . completely.

He starts to walk pull away, but I stop him with a whisper. " Please don't. I need you. Make it all right. Please. Make it all right. " My whisper is broken and desperate, but I don't care. Because it gets me what I want.
(WTF?)

He stares at me hard. " Calla, when we . . . when this happens, it's not going to be in a house of horrors. It's going to be something you remember. " I look away, annoyed. " Shouldn't that be my choice to make? "
(I'm so done with her.)

Predictable plot & twist. Since the story isn't exactly original, I was hoping for a few twists and turns that would leave me on the edge of my seat, instead I grew a bit bored with the story, wishing around 65% that it would just END. My biggest disappointment with this book besides Calla being a irritating dog in heat was the plot twist. I guessed the big secret two chapters before it was revealed, and to be honest, that wasn't my problem. The plot twist was a decent one, sort of predictable if you're good at guessing, but still a good one. The author completely ruined it for me by watering it down with unnecessary discoveries, and " Oh I don't remember that ," then a couple of paragraphs later " Omg I remember everything! " moments.

Track Three: The Outro

There are plenty of other dislikes I had with this story such as why the kid's father never knew what was going on. He was oblivious to everything! I understand people deal with grieving in different ways, but look sir your children are out here running a muck! One is on the verge of doing something dangerous probably, while the other is desperately trying to get a boy, who you never bothered to get to know, to have sex with her while she's drunk. The same boy might I add, that has enough secrets to last us a lifetime. Which might I also add, is another aspect I disliked.

All in all Nocte was an OKAY read. If you're not that great at guessing plots and twists, can deal with an over-bearing main character, and looking for a darker side of contemporary that's also a pretty fast read, then maybe, just maybe this is for you.

I can make no promises. ( )
  Tikaa | Apr 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible