Juneteenth for Mazie by Floyd Cooper

Juneteenth for Mazie

by Floyd Cooper

This book is a quick explanation of a the fight for freedom from slavery to the civil rights movement. It explains the holiday Juneteenth. This is a holiday that celebrates the ride of Union soldiers to Galveston to announce the freeing of slaves. The book also covers the civil rights movement and the fight for equal rights.

Critique of genre- Historical fiction ( )
  Lhayden4 | Mar 9, 2017 |
Juneteenth for Mazie is a very interesting book about a young
girl who is feeling like she has no freedom. She has to go to bed
before she is ready, she cannot eat whatever she wants, and cannot
go outside whenever she wants. Her father explains to her that the
next day will be Juneteenth, a day celebrating the date of June 19th when the end of the Civil War and slavery was announced. He tells
her how their ancestors rose from slavery to equality over a period
of several years.
I think this book is good for young readers and listeners, as it provides a positive message about the African-American culture. The theme of this story was celebration of freedom gained and the progress African-Americans made after the end of slavery. This is a very good book for students to explore multiculturalism.
  22antone | Oct 28, 2015 |
Summary:
This multicultural picture book is about a little African American girl named Mazie who is upset because there are too many rules to follow. She feels like she never gets to do anything that she wants to do. Her dad decided to tell her a story about her great-great-great grandfather who was a slave before the Civil Rights Movement. He explained how poorly they were treated and how they were forced to work without pay before slavery was abolished. He went on to tell her about Juneteenth, a day to celebrate and remember. She realizes that she doesn't have it so bad after all and is eager to celebrate Juneteenth with her family tomorrow.

Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed reading this book. I felt that it was nicely written and kid-friendly. Introducing cultures can be touchy subjects but this is mostly due to not being familiar with them yourself. I believe that it is extremely important for all educators to learn and familiarize themselves with all cultures in order to be able to teach all students effectively. This culturally specific story can help children become aware of and also give them a better understanding about the history for African Americans before the Civil Rights Movement was passed.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. We are all unique. I could have students write a journal entry telling me how they feel that they are unique.
2. We all come from different cultures and celebrate different holidays. I could ask students to create a picture of their favorite holiday. We will use numerous supplies and materials to make it as creative as possible. We will then share with the class our creations and about our favorite holiday. ( )
  A.Fonville | Oct 19, 2015 |
In my opinion, I thought this was a good book. I liked this book because it’s big ideas, freedom, culture, and tradition, were all portrayed throughout the entire book. For example, when Mazie’s dad was explaining how times were for African Americans back in the day, slavery was brought up, and how African Americans fought for their freedom until they finally were freed. The illustrations also portrayed the big ideas because when Mazie’s dad was explaining how it is now tradition to celebrate the freedom of Slaves, the illustrations on the pages were bright and happy, to express that their tradition is valued and so is their freedom. ( )
  KellieMcFadzen | Apr 13, 2015 |
I liked this book for the most part. It was about a young girl named Mazie, who was constantly being told "no". Her father tells her that tomorrow, she will help celebrate Juneteenth, which was a time when her Great Great Great Grandfather Mose was told "no" much more than she ever will. Grandpa Mose was a slave and dreamed about freedom, until June 19, 1865, when Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was passed and he and the other slaves finally had their freedom! However, even though the slaves were free, they were not equal to the white people. So, every June 19th or Juneteenth, they marched for their rights; their right to vote, for better jobs, schools and equal opportunity. A lot of things have changed for the better since then and each year on Juneteenth, they celebrate and remember.
I enjoyed the story itself and the way the Emancipation Proclamation is explained so simply to the reader using the fictional characters. I was a little surprised at some of the graphic descriptions used, but was impressed at how well it got the point across. For example, when talking about Grandpa Mose, the author says, "they sweat, they bled, they cried..." This allowed the reader (child) to understand that slavery was a bad thing and why the celebration is so important. I also enjoyed the pictures throughout the book. Each page had a large picture spread across the two pages which helped the reader to visualize the settings and characters. Although the pictures were beautifully drawn and painted, each page had a sepia-like covering which made it appear and feel much darker, even during the happy and celebratory times. I would like to have seen a little brighter illustrations during the happier sections of the story. Overall, it was a great book and introduces slavery and the Emancipation Proclamation in a unique and interesting way. ( )
  KristyPratt | Feb 24, 2015 |

Little Mazie wants the freedom to stay up late, but her father explains what freedom really means in the story of Juneteenth, and how her ancestors celebrated their true freedom.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,363,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible