The Basilisk's Creed Omnibus (Volumes…

The Basilisk's Creed Omnibus (Volumes One, Two, and Three - The…

by Eme Strife

441,664,912 (3.13)None

This is my kind of paranormal-urban fantasy story. I finished reading each volume within the same day, that is saying something about this story. Bold and funny with sarcastic humour. Engaging and unique. Strife's imagination is out of this world, sure to captivate you, hold your curiosity captive. Reading these three volumes is still not enough, I need more of it! ( )
  Dotland101 | Dec 31, 2015 |
I must say that I went from being unsure and a little put off at the fast beginning to wanting to devour these books as fast as I can. As I was thrown headfirst into a strange erotic dream the protagonists shared I was not sure if this was the book I signed up to read but then as the story line slowly came into play I became hooked on reading about these characters and wanting to know more and more about them. My only complaint is that I wanted Eli and Matt to have more time together in the story than what they had but I’m hoping that with the continuation of the story that might happen. Story and worlds were very intriguing in the book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good read. Can’t wait to read the next one as this one was left at quite a cliffhanger! ( )
  Rebekah_Laird | Dec 10, 2015 |
I have to be 100% honest. If the author hadn't followed up with me on the promised review, The Basilisk's Creed just may have ended up on my Didn't Finish list for 2014. It wasn't a terrible book it just wasn't my style of read.

I always take into consideration that I'm reading fiction meant to entertain when outrageous things happen in the books. I usually bump heads with a friend in my book club when unlikely scenarios play out in the books we read. She thinks it ruins the story and I think its fun if I accept it as fiction but this one was a little too over the top. Pigs fly, the Atlantic ocean disappears and my favorite, Eli's landlord goes a little over board when told to go eff himself, are just a couple of things that go too far in my opinion.

Overall it's a good story (with a lot of spice) and good writing but not my cup of tea. I recommend this to any who enjoys urban fantasy with emphasis on the fantasy. ( )
  24girl | Jan 8, 2015 |
The world is torn by a series of strange and random events. Matt, leader of the Golden Reapers, has been tasked to investigate this – and it may all be linked to the strange woman who visited him and vanished without a trace.

Unfortunately, I had a lot of problems with this book, starting almost from the beginning which didn’t bode well for my finishing it and, alas, I didn’t

We begin with our two main characters – Matt and Eli – being transported randomly and for unexplained reasons to each other in a dream. The following 15% of the book describes how hot they find each other.

That’s pretty much it. We have Eli briefly exploring her new surroundings, then seeing Matt and then DUMP page after page after page of how sexy the other looks/sounds/smells. It just goes on and on and on and on and includes such gems of Matt deciding to call this complete stranger “kitten” and betting he could “make her pussy purr” and saying she has a “pretty collarbone” and how close she was to “making his dick blow”. Apparently by just standing their throwing out sex scent. Dare I say that sounds rather… premature? Throw in him grabbing her and not letting her go even as she said “no”, only thinking better of it when he outright asks her if she’s a virgin; all in all we have a really unpleasant scene. This was continued when they woke up and Eli described how wet she was.

Well, I knew nothing about Eli’s job, what she did or why or where she was or what mattered to her – but I knew she’s just woken up wet and sticky. I have to say, it’s not in my top 10 most favourite introduction to a character.

I nearly stopped there, but I held on and we started into Eli’s life working to make ends meet (interjected with random inserts of Matt’s hotness) and on to Matt who proceeded to have a series of really really clumsy monologues (with random inserts of Eli’s hotness).

The writings style is rambling, confused and reads like a stream of consciousness exercise. I think the book has tried to capture someone’s thoughts without any edit, as if someone just sat and babbled every thought that came into their head – it’s lost, hard to read, full of distracting asides and not very fun. Every now and then the narrative is broken by random expletives (Eli also likes to throw in random “Ugh!” in her narrative) – usually in threes on and separate lines. In fact that happens a lot – something will happen then they’ll curse (or this supernatural general of the Reaper army will invoke the name of Christ when they’ve already rambled on about the “Holy Basilisk” which is just shoddy world building) then next line curse again, then, next line, another rambling expletive.

They both also have a very immature voice which seems odd for their ages – both apparent and in reality. Matt in particular sounds like a petulant and angry teenager, not a commander of a supernatural army. It all draws out the narrative, makes everything clumsy and the characters entirely unbelievable as reasonable, let alone capable, adults.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Nov 3, 2014 |

Eme Strife is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,406 books! | Top bar: Always visible