A Murder of Magpies by Judith Flanders

A Murder of Magpies

by Judith Flanders

I love that this book features a middle-aged protagonist without her having to be omni-competent and nearly omniscient. The mystery was solid, the writing excellent, and the characters engaging. The near omni-competent mom raised an eyebrow, but even that feels right.

I am definitely reading more from Ms. Flanders!

I am also going to keep a closer eye on the local library book club picks, even if I can't go to the actual meeting - that's how I found this one, and it's certainly been worthwhile :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Samantha “Sam” Clair is a book editor with a London publisher and Kit Lovell is one of her favorite authors. His newest book – about a Spanish fashion designer whose death was almost as interesting as his life – is sure to be a mega-hit. But there are people out there who don’t want it published and Sam’s employer is being very careful about vetting the manuscript for possible libel.

Then Kit appears to disappear. And Sam is like a mother hen who must take good care of her chicks – she feels compelled to find Kit. The more she learns, the more she believes that Kit has come to a bad end. It isn’t as if she has nothing else to do. The publishing company’s largest-selling author has just turned in an awful manuscript and Sam must tiptoe around the author’s ego to make it publishable.

A Murder of Magpies is a lovely mystery, with just a dash of romance and a slew of eccentric characters. I’ve read one non-fiction book by this author – about the Victorian home – and am amazed that one author can be a be equally accomplished writing both fiction and non-fiction. Amazing!! ( )
  NewsieQ | Apr 5, 2018 |
Perfect for what it was-a fast read without a lot of unnecessary tension. I really enjoyed the author's voice. Sometimes it felt like I was reading my own journal, which was weird (not in content, just the snarky, irreverent humor). ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
I liked this mystery and I don't know why but I'm on the fence as to whether it's a cozy or not. Whatever it is, one thing is clear, Sam is a great protagonist to follow and she brings the wit. It was a nice look in at a publishing house and the characters that populated her office were worth meeting. I really enjoyed the turn the Toujours Twenty-one book thread took by the end. I liked Kit and was really hoping things would turn out okay for him as he's our main victim in the mystery. I also enjoyed Sam's mother, Helena. I did think Sam dwelt a bit too much on her mother's overall proficiency and if I'm honest, Sam's constant lament throughout that women are universally ignored from age 35 on, was a bit tedious too. Still, a main character needs some flaws and things that niggle at you so, I didn't really mind. Those weren't enough to put me off from Sam one bit. I liked Jack though I did feel he wasn't very strongly drawn a character. The mystery was well done as well and I did not work out the killer(s) and give lots of credit that it was a pretty well layered trail that worked it's way through the story to the final pages. Overall, very enjoyable with a great protagonist and peopled with other characters that often were quirky, annoying or otherwise interesting enough to be worth not just meeting but remembering. I've no idea if this will become a series (and I truly don't need one more series to add to my list of books) but if the author writes another, I'll surely read it. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
I’ll be looking for more books in this series about a London editor who gets caught up in solving a murder mystery. Although at times, the story seems a little ludicrous, it’s the characters that will keep me wanting more, that and the behind the scenes look at the world of publishing. ( )
  brangwinn | Jul 5, 2017 |
For David,
without whom ...

"It's just another day at the office for book editor Samantha Clair ... [including] lunch scheduled with gossipy author Kit Lowell, whose new book will deliciously dish the dirt on the fashion industry. But little does she know how much trouble Kit's book is about to cause-- before it even goes to print. When police inspector Field turns up at the venerable offices of Timmins & Ross, asking questions about an undelivered package that was addressed to Sam, she knows something is wrong. The messenger sent to deliver the package was murdered, and then Kit goes missing"--… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Judith Flanders's book A Murder of Magpies was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Judith Flanders is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,247,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible