Zeroboxer by Fonda Lee

Zeroboxer

by Fonda Lee

MMA on the moon. Zeroboxing is a martial sport, but Carr Luka is one of the best from earth. This book follows Carr on his pro journey and his evolution to being the face of the sport and an inter-galactic superstar. Along the way he falls for his brand manager and discovers that he possess a secret that may impact the future of his career. There is a lot of action and fighting. An inventive scifi read. ( )
  ewyatt | Apr 23, 2017 |
This is a 2015 Andre Norton Award Finalist. I read it as part of the Nebula reading packet.

Lee has created a fascinating science fiction young adult novel in Zeroboxer. Carr is a teenage prodigy, a boy from Earth who busts into the world of weightless boxing. Tensions between Earth and Mars are high; poverty is rife on the homeworld where children are still often made by traditional means, whereas Mars has genetically engineered its population for survival and success. Carr's growing popularity becomes a source of fixation for suffering, angry people, and that causes a fantastic escalation in tension as the book continues--especially when Carr realizes he carries a terrible secret.

I really appreciate that Carr is a genuinely good guy and sportsman. He works hard for his success. The one sport I follow is hockey, and real boxing turns me off, but I was completely gripped by Lee's descriptions of zeroboxing and I couldn't help but cheer for Carr. Along with that, I must note that the plot is somewhat predictable in the way of a sports story... but this didn't detract from my enjoyment. There were still plenty of twists and turns. I was surprised at how the book ended, too. For a second, I was dismayed, but then I realized that Lee ended the story in exactly the right spot. ( )
  ladycato | Mar 6, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Gravity-defying solar sports contests and a life altering secret.

Opening Sentence: Carr Luka woke from a nap three hours before his fight.

The Review:

I am not a fan of any kind of sport, whether it’s football, basketball or golf, and although this book is based on a sport called ‘zeroboxing’ it had me hooked. Zeroboxing isn’t any sport you’ve heard of before, it’s an inter-planet sport that is like boxing but without gravity! This story is set on Valtego; which is best described as a sort of space-station in between Earth and Mars. I was fascinated by the concept of a gravity-defying sport that’s played on multiple planets.

Blake shook his head. “You’ve never been to that place, Carr.” Was it a good or bad sign that he was weirdly at ease, his eyes distant? “Where you know you can’t win…but you can decide not to lose.”

Carr Luka is training as a professional zeroboxer and despite his young age, he’s racing his way to the top. Life seems to be perfect for Carr; he’s excelling in his career, has a lovely girlfriend and just landed a solid contract with The Martian. Just as his dreams are coming true he learns a secret that shatters his self-pride and could cost him everything: his career, the love of his life and his dream.

Carr drank in the sight, letting its sweet flavour infuse his euphoria. Victory was a better high than a hundred bliss bombs. Perfect and real, lasting for days, even weeks, before being polished and stored in its own special nook of his soul, each win in his collection unique and everlasting, wanting nothing except more neighbours.

I loved the way this story is written: the author’s descriptions of Carr’s feelings, the fights themselves, how the planet’s look. It was all described brilliantly. Sometimes you can read the perfect storyline but the writing will let you down but in this case, even the dullest of events are depicted excellently.

Now he was on the up again. Attention could be good or bad, he decided, but it didn’t really matter. “Fighting isn’t a popularity contest,” he said.

Onto Carr himself; he’s an excellent protagonist: kind, hardworking and most of all, determined to succeed. The secret he uncovers devastates him (no spoilers), mainly because Carr has worked tirelessly to win and he’s so proud of this so it’s unfair to see how quickly one truth could take it all away! This could destroy not only his life, but of those he holds dear.

“You were perfect.”
“What do you mean? I didn’t do anything.”
“You looked confident, you paid attention, you were serious, but funny, and you didn’t act like a prima donna or a jerk. You have no idea how rare that is, for a sports celebrity?”

Once Carr learns of the truth, he struggles with what he should do. He’s come too far to go back but the guilt is eating him away. Can he give up his life’s work or will he continue to live in fear? Whatever the decision, everything as he knows it has changed…

This is a fantastic read and it surprised me how much I enjoyed it and I hope you give it a chance too!

Notable Scene:

A shudder of distaste ran through Carr, along with a strange and immense fatigue. Why was all this happening to him? There was a time, not that long ago, when things were a lot simpler. When he knew who he was, and what he wanted, and the world seemed like the sort of place that would reward him if he worked hard enough, and each step he took went forward, toward something better.

FTC Advisory: Flux provided me with a copy of Zeroboxer. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Feb 23, 2016 |
A fun and thought-provoking story about a talented young zero-space fighter named Carr who gets a chance at fame and a championship, but has to hide the truth when a stranger reveals a secret that could ruin his life. ( )
  kayceel | Dec 6, 2015 |
I wish I could remember how this book was recommended to me so I could thank the person responsible! This is science fiction with a sports theme, following young Carr Luka, an ambitious kid from earth who thinks he's got what it takes to be a champion in the martian sport of zero gravity boxing. But like much great science fiction, it's not *just* about the fights, and we're soon seeing the world outside the boxing cube. It's a great story set in a fascinating take on a possible future as humans start to colonize other worlds and start differentiating themselves in new ways. And I don't even like boxing but the theory of what it would be like is so clear that you can picture every turn and punch in the fight scenes. Would make quite the movie!
  terriko | May 14, 2015 |

Rocky meets Gattaca in this thrill-ride of celebrity, competition, and responsibility

Carr "the Raptor" Luka is a rising star in the weightless combat sport called zeroboxing. To help him win the championship title, the Zero Gravity Fighting Association assigns Risha, an ambitious and beautiful Martian colonist, to be his brandhelm—a personal marketing strategist. It isn't long before she's made Carr into a popular celebrity and stolen his heart along the way.

But as his fame grows, Carr becomes an inspirational hero on Earth, a once-great planet that's fallen into the shadow of its more prosperous colonies. And when Carr learns of a far-reaching criminal scheme, he becomes the keeper of a devastating secret. Not only will his choices place everything he holds dear into jeopardy, they may also spill the violence from the sports arena into the solar system.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:29 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,922,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible