Infandous by Elana K. Arnold

Infandous

by Elana K. Arnold

Great realistic fiction of a teenage girl growing up in Long Beach. Follows the story of Sephora living in the shadow of her beautiful mother on her journey to self discovery. Artistic and introspective Sephora struggles to make sense of her first sexual experience and a horrifying twist seals her fate and answers the question of who her absent father is. This book is recommended for 14 plus due to sexual content and drugs and alcohol. Mature content. M.C. ( )
  WhitneyYPL | Feb 9, 2016 |
There were couple of things that really stood out for me about this book. First, I felt like it had some really insightful things to say about what it's like to be a young woman, and the unfair things we, as a society, do to young women. Second, as an English professor who teaches Oedipus, I think there might be a really interesting connection to make between that play and this book, even though the situations are not all that similar. Our protagonist, of course, does not gouge out her eyeballs in the end, but it might be interesting for students to explore how Oedipus and Sephora were different, and what about their situations were the same.

I also really liked the inclusion of fairy tales - the real ones, gore and grit and all. ( )
  macescamilla | Jul 10, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible