The Witch of Painted Sorrows (The Daughters…

The Witch of Painted Sorrows (The Daughters of La Lune)

by M. J. Rose

2202752,892 (3.36)5

I have for a while now wanted to read an M.J. Rose book. The stories in the books have intrigued me and I love the covers for them. I was quite glad when I got the chance to read this new one.

Sandrine Salome has left her husband and fled New York to take refuge at her grandmother's house in Paris. But she discovers when she gets there that her grandmother is planning to turn the house into a museum and she also forbids Sandrine to visit the house. But she can't help feeling drawn to the house and one day she defies her grandmother and goes to the house and there she meets Julien Duplessi, the architect that is to turn the house into a museum. With Julien, Sandrine feels something she hasn't felt with her husband; passion. But will the passion ultimately destroy her? Because the women in her family are said to being under a curse; that they should never love anyone that that will only lead to destruction...

I was quickly drawn into the story of this book about courtesans, witches, possessions, and passion. It was an intriguing story and very beautifully written. Sandrine starts out as a young woman in mourning for her father and for her failed marriage, but as the story progress she changes, she starts to paint and it consumes her. But as she learns more and more about her family's story about La Lune, the famous courtesan she slowly starts to lose herself to La Lune. Was La Lune a witch? A woman desperate to live again century's after her death? Sandrine's grandmother tries everything to keep her from the house, from painting. Everything that has to do with La Lune, but Sandrine is in love and love is the very thing that La Lune feeds on...

As I read on I soon got a feeling of doom about the ending. I just knew that this book couldn't end happy and the ending was...let's say I really want to read the next book in the series!

In the end, I just want to say that I’m I enjoyed reading The Witch of Painted Sorrow very much and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the books in this series and other books that M.J. Rose has written.

I received a copy from the publisher and france book tours in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
I was torn between giving this a 3 and a 4. I like the overall story, and the writing wasn't bad.. but there were many things that were repeated, many times.
While I'm intrigued at the notion of a sequel, I do worry that it will simply be more repetition.

SPOILER coming up.
How many times can the main character acknowledge that she has a spirit/ghost inside her, controlling her.. but then deny it? It was a relief the first time she finally acknowledged this.. until she denied it again. And if all the waffling back and forth had been cut out, it would have been possible to have her hiding this info from others, while acknowledging it to herself. It would have cut the length of the book by perhaps 10%, but would have resulted in a more enjoyable story. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
Too contrived. I had no desire to finish this book.
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
This novel is set against the backdrop of 1894 La Belle Epoch Paris. After her father's suicide, Sandine leaves her husband and flles to Paris to see her grandmother, a beautiful courtesan who lives in a museumlike house called Maison de la Lune. Her grandmother says the house is closed for renovation but the story doesn't ring true to Sandrine. She meets Julien Duplessi, the architect who is working on the house. They eventually fall in love but it must remain a secret since Julien is engaged and Sandrine is married. When they discover a secret room filled with erotic paintings the ghost of LaLune starts to transform Sandrine.

This novel is a blend of many different genres: historical fiction, ghost story, paranormal romance and erotic love story. Maybe because this is the first book of the series I felt that I didn't have enough knowledge about La Lune to understand her connection to the occult. I enjoyed the historical references and thought the depiction of Paris and the art scene of that time was amazing. I don't read very many paranormal romances but I think if you are an M. J. Rose fan, you would absolutely enjoy this. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
Unfortunately, I found this story quite dull. I disliked the main character. I just found her very blah and whiney and annoying. It finally got interesting at the end, so I am a little interested in seeing where the story goes but I'm not in a hurry to find out. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 147677806X, Hardcover)

Possession. Power. Passion. New York Times bestselling novelist M. J. Rose creates her most provocative and magical spellbinder yet in this gothic novel set against the lavish spectacle of 1890s Belle Époque Paris.

Sandrine Salome flees New York for her grandmother’s Paris mansion to escape her dangerous husband, but what she finds there is even more menacing. The house, famous for its lavish art collection and elegant salons, is mysteriously closed up. Although her grandmother insists it’s dangerous for Sandrine to visit, she defies her and meets Julien Duplessi, a mesmerizing young architect. Together they explore the hidden night world of Paris, the forbidden occult underground and Sandrine’s deepest desires.

Among the bohemians and the demi-monde, Sandrine discovers her erotic nature as a lover and painter. Then darker influences threaten—her cold and cruel husband is tracking her down and something sinister is taking hold, changing Sandrine, altering her. She’s become possessed by La Lune: A witch, a legend, and a sixteenth-century courtesan, who opens up her life to a darkness that may become a gift or a curse.

This is Sandrine’s “wild night of the soul,” her odyssey in the magnificent city of Paris, of art, love, and witchery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:01 -0400)

Paris, 1894. Sandrine Salome flees New York and her treacherous husband to find shelter in Paris with her grandmother, but as she settles in and pursues new passions, it's unclear whether she or an infamous ancestral witch is driving the changes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,426,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible