The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A…

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks

by Sam Maggs

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley. This has not changed my opinion on the book in any way.

I have to be honest, when I first heard of the title - I thought it was a fictional story based on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, about a fangirl traveling through space or something. I was so wrong. This book is an actual guide for actual fangirls, and I have to say I liked reading it very very much!

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is meant for beginner fangirls. It explains all about how to become the ultimate fangirl, how to make fangirl friends, how to survive conventions, how to deal with annoying trolls on the internet and so forth. It has pictures, handy tips, links to awesome fangirl websites and lots more in it. As a person who has been a fangirl for a long time already, even I found this book interesting - I even learned a couple of things from this book, something I hadn't really expected.

The book has only about five or so chapters, but they are filled with information about each subject and just very nice to read. Between the chapters are interviews with awesome ladies; authors, actors, artists (like Beth Revis, Erin Morgenstern and Victoria Schwab). There is also an entire chapter about Feminism which I enjoyed reading. But I think the chapter I enjoyed reading the most was the one about conventions. (Because I just love conventions, and I love reading about other people's experiences!).

Personally, I agreed with most of the things that were described in this book. There was only one thing that annoyed me a bit, and that is the whole 'Superwholock' thing. Because it will probably make new fangirls think that that's the only option. That you are supposed to like all three shows in order to be 'it'. But that is not true. Yes, a lot of people are fans of all three shows (myself included), but it's okay to like just one or two of the shows. SWL is a thing made up by Tumblr and it's just really really annoying in my opinion. (FYI, Superwholock is Supernatural, Doctor Who and BBC's Sherlock; three completely different shows, which each a completely different fandom).

But hey, I just decided to ignore it, even though it annoyed me, and I still enjoyed the book!

The writing was easy to read, and also easy to understand. There were pages that explained the words often used by fangirls (such as 'feels', 'gpoy', 'canon/headcanon', 'otp' and so forth). I flew through the book at high speed and was kind of sad when I realised it was over already. Unfortunately, because this is an ebook (and an uncorrected proof at that), the awesome images were all cut into pieces and on different pages, which made it impossible to see the full images. (There were also some tiny mistakes in the writing, especially involving the letter 'f', but like I said - ebook uncorrected proof). I am actually planning on buying a physical copy of the book as soon as it's out, because it's a really handy book for fangirls!

So if you are a (beginner) fangirl, and you want to read more about the fangirl world, you should definitely check out The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy!

My opinion on this book in one gif:

october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
I guess I’ve technically been a geek since 5th grade, the year I watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time, and later thought, hey, it might be fun to collect the action figures with my little brother.

We didn’t call it being a fangirl back then, but nevertheless, I guess I still am one today. So that’s why I was drawn to the ARC of this book. I didn’t know what to expect, except that I’m a fangirl and I figured I’d enjoy a guide to the fangirl galaxy.

The book is broken down into: A personal Introduction from the author, It’s Good to Be A Geek (a list of popular fandoms, terms, etc.), Geek Girls Online (an overview of the online resources available to fangirls, tips for newbies), How to Survive Conventions (lists of cons, more tips), Geek Girl Feminism (an overview with helpful terms and myths, list of strong female characters), and a list of more Resources.

I thought the guide was very helpful and encouraging. I wish this guide had existed years ago, back when I was new to conventions and feminism in general. Presently, I learned about several fandoms I’m not familiar with (Doctor Who, Marvelites, Whedonites) and great resources for geek social networking, shopping, and tutorials.

I’ve already used several of the resources, including one forum that I’m currently working on a fictional character swap. In person, day-to-day, it can be hard to find other fangirls to be friends with, so the links are great!

All-in-all, a useful and motivational guide for fangirls. Great as a general reference or as a gift. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I sort of low-balled the rating on this one but not because it's not a good read - it is. It's more a reflection of my not being exactly the demographic the book is aimed at. Yes, I am female, and yes, I am a fan of things, but I am not at the fangirl level of anything that isn't a cute furry/feathered animal or that doesn't look like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor. Because of this, there's a large section of this book that pertains to cons, cosplay and fanfic that does not apply to me or resonate with me.

However! There's a lot of good stuff here and I learned a lot. I also kept thinking that if I had a daughter (or son, actually) that was just getting old enough to pry the wi-fi password out of me, I'd make them read this book first. The information that Maggs shares is good for everyone, but for someone new to the internet, there are vital lessons to be learned here painlessly and with humour, instead of in real life in a way that they won't soon live down. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So this is going to be a slightly different review than I normally write, because...well I read some of the other reviews of this book and it just made me sad to look at them. Not because people didn't like the book, but because it seems like some purposefully went out of their way to bash a book, because...well...they just seem to be full of anger and hate. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem if people don't like a particular book. Especially if they have well thought out arguments for why they don't like it. Or even if they just say "You know, I just didn't like this book. I couldn't get into it." and leave it at that. But the level of angst and hate hurled at this book? I just...well I don't get it. Even after reading their reviews I honestly wonder if they read the book or even realized what the book is really supposed to be about.

So I'm going to try to address some of the criticism's that I saw hurled at this book. Also, I'm going to be a bit more ranty than I normally allow myself to be with a review.

1st: Everything in it is obvious:

...it is? Really? OK I get it, if you've been in fandom or a geek for a while then sure you might know these things. But what if you're just starting out? What if you're 8 years old and for the first time discovering "holy cow! Girls can read comics too??" Or "holy cow! there are other people that think like me?!?" And you might think I'm being over the top with this...but I'm not. We were all newbies once. We all needed a guide to figure things out and to learn how to do things. How to go to conventions, how to find and meet people online or IRL, or just how to be involved in fandom. And that's what Sam and this book provide. A how to get started or to get more in depth in the fan culture around you.

Also stop and think for a moment, it's only in the last couple of generations that women were able to make inroads into the geek kingdom and let their geekiness be free! So...who do they look to for mentors? I mean sure, some people had dads that were glad to show them the way. But all far too often, I'm guessing they had to figure it out themselves. So this guide is a way of helping be a guide for the next generation. Of shouting out to all the young women (and maybe some older ones) "Hey! HEY! Over here. You belong."

And some people are saying "Well why is it just for girls then, huh? What about young geek boys?" Please. I'm not saying that geek boys don't need a guide as well, but seriously? Girls still have to deal with the bullshit crap of "Well, you can't really like this comic because you're a girl. And it's violent." or "Well you must just read Donald Duck and Smurf comics and everyone knows those aren't real comics." So, hence the reason for the guide.

Sam does an excellent job of breaking things down, of saying "OK here are some things that you can be a part of. Maybe you know some of them. Maybe you don't. But here's how to get started." And even offering some pointers of where to go for more information. And this is a great starting place for a fangirl of figuring out how to tell which community they belong to or even just how many communities there are to be geeking out about! Also, one thing I really, REALLY, loved in this book was that while Sam does use the term "fangirl" she makes it clear, that all are welcome to read this book and that everyone can get something from it.

Number 1a: "Why is a guy writing this book?"...Sam is short for Samantha. Please, don't make assumptions without actually looking for answers first.

Number two: EVERYTHING COSTS TOO MUCH MONEY!!!

I..the...wha...did you read the book?!?!? I mean seriously? Throughout the book Sam talks about how you don't need money to be a fan. In fact she goes out of her way in the introduction to say "Hey, ignore those people that tell you that you have to read every Ms. Marvel comic ever to be a fan. Pfff pish tosh. You're a fan no matter what." Seriously. She says that. Well, ok maybe not quit the pish tosh part, but the rest of it. Yeah. And she doesn't backtrack on it at all! In fact she continues to point out that if you can't go to conventions, you can meet people online. You can know them just that way! You find your community and you make yourself a part of it whatever way that you can.

And I saw people pointing out she says things like "if you're in this group your key accessories are: tattoos, talking animals, brown boots!, etc, etc." and saying "SEE! She's saying spend money on this stuff and that's the only way you'll be a fan!" I...the...what? No, just, no. She's saying "Hey, here are some things that help identify your group! You have them, great! No? Also great!" The only way you can get she's saying you need this stuff is you read someone else's book instead of this one and conflated the two.

Yes, the book talks about ways to do things that cost money, like going to conventions. And Sam does an excellent job of providing advice of what to do when you're at one, what to bring, what not to do, and for the love of all fandom how to act around the people you're getting autographs from! And this also falls into the complaint of "this is obvious" and again, I cry foul. A huge foul on that. Because I'd really love to copy some of these pages and give them to some of the people I meet at conventions. Heck, I would have loved to have this list the first time I went to a convention just a few short years ago!

Three: FOCUS! Where's the focus!!

OK this one I do get a bit, because when you read this like a book, then it does wander a bit, it jumps around, it offers different advice to different age groups and blah, blah. It lacks focus. Now you'll notice I say "when you read this like a book" and that's an important distinction here. And yes some of you are going "well duh! It is a book!" Yes, yes, yes it is. It's a GUIDEbook. It guides you along different paths and you don't have to read it in straight order for it to make sense. If you're reading this book expecting a history of geek girls or it to tell the tale of an adventurous geek girl going out into the world!...don't. The book isn't meant to have a plot or be a cohesive thread or have focus on one topic. It's meant to be a guide to help young ones find their way.

I could probably keep going, but I won't. Sam does an excellent job of creating a GUIDE for geek girls new to being a geek. Or just figuring out what type of geek they can be. Or heck just looking at all of the things a geek CAN BE. Also, Kelly's illustrations (which I didn't even really touch on) are super amazingly awesome and fit really well with the book. Gentle watercolor illustrations with just the right amount of umph to them to really sell what Sam's talking about. Also, also, the font. That's right the font. Jon Chad and Luke Howard, two of my teachers at CCS, would kick my butts if I didn't talk about these things. I'm guessing that Kelly created the watercolor light blue font used as subject headings and emphasis points throughout the book because it matches her art style really well and it just helps tie the entire book together.

Also I can't forget there are some awesome short interviews with Jane Espenson, Erin Morgenstern, Kate Beaton, Ashley Eckstein, Laura Vandervoort, Beth Revis, Kate Leth, and many others.

So, if you're new to being a geek girl or just want to increase your geekdom presence check out this book. And if you know young geek girls just starting out, give them this book. And then help guide them through the awesomeness of being a geek.

ARC provided by LibraryThing Early Reviews Program ( )
  zzshupinga | Jul 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this book. I really did. But what it came down to is that the book is an over-simplified overview of fangirl-dom whose information could have come from a Wiki page. Each section reads like a surface-deep guide written for a child who has never experianced fandom love- not the teenage fans the book was probably intended for. It's a shame, because a well-written and researched fandom book could have been used to help teen girls feel confident in their fandoms...
  PirateColey | Mar 24, 2016 |
I am a fangirl. Mainly of the Marvel, Sherlock, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter categories, although I have many other fandoms. As a fangirl, this book has helped me tremendously. It has all the info you need. It tells you how to correctly go to a con- from packing your bags the coming back home. It tells you how to cosplay, giving some excellent tips, along with some websites that will also help. It explains how to get involved with your local geek community. Overall, this book has everything you need to be a successful geek girl.

I loved this book. I was fangirling throughout the entire book. I would definitely suggest this to any fangirl out there, and I’d also suggest it to anyone trying to understand what your fangirl friend is saying. Now excuse me while I go watch another season of Doctor Who.

Review by: Avalon Palm
Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159474789X, Hardcover)

Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more—it’s never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl’s Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes for everything from starting an online fan community to planning a convention visit to supporting fellow female geeks in the wild.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

"Fanfic, cosplay, cons, books, memes, podcasts, vlogs, OTPs and RPGs and MMOs and more - it's never been a better time to be a girl geek. The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy is the ultimate handbook for ladies living the nerdy life, a fun and feminist take on the often male-dominated world of geekdom. With delightful illustrations and an unabashed love for all the in(ternet)s and outs of geek culture, this book is packed with tips, playthroughs, and cheat codes, including how to make nerdy friends, rock awesome cosplay, write fanfic with feels, defeat Internet trolls, and attend your first con. Plus, insightful interviews with fangirl faves, like Jane Espenson, Erin Morgenstern, Kate Beaton, Ashley Eckstein, Laura Vandervoort, Beth Revis, Kate Leth, and many others"--Adapted from distributor's description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sam Maggs's book The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Sam Maggs's book The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,427 books! | Top bar: Always visible