Dog Crazy: A Novel of Love Lost and Found by…

Dog Crazy: A Novel of Love Lost and Found

by Meg Donohue

English (7)  Italian (1)  All (8)
Meet Maggie Brennan, a pet bereavement therapist. She picked up her life and moved to San Francisco with her dog, Toby, to start her own practice. Just a few weeks after moving we find that Toby has died and it has been close to a month since she has left the confines of her yard. Through a referral for a patient, Anya Ravenhurst, she finally leaves the house but with the help of her best friend's dog, Giselle. Throughout the story we learn that Maggie is grieving the loss of Toby but finds that Anya and Giselle are helping her more than she knows. This is a very heart-warming book about friendship, loss, and love. Even though the title and cover picture are deceiving, this is a book for all readers not just the dog lovers out there.

Heather B. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
Recently I've been surrounded by friends losing furry loved ones so this book appealed to me because it dealt with that, with an edge of humor. Very sweet. A little fluffy. ;) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Sep 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Maggie is an agoraphobic therapist who counsels people who have lost their pets. Maggie knows a lot about pet loss since she hasn't left the house in over 90 days since she had to put her own dog to sleep. When a heartbroken young woman, Anya, refuses to acknowledge that her dog is gone, Maggie decides that the only way to help this depressed girl is to leave her house and help Anya find her lost dog. In doing this, Maggie must first work through her crippling panic attacks, which set in as soon as she leaves her yard. With the help of her best friend's loaner dog at her side, Maggie gradually works through her own grief, and also develops a friendship with Anya and her family. In the process, Maggie falls in love with Anya's brother and must make a decision about whether loving again is worth the risk of loss.

I enjoyed this quick and lighthearted read about a single professional woman trying to work through her grief and learn to love again. Although the premise of what happened to Anya's dog seemed extremely farfetched, I enjoyed the budding relationship with Anya's brother and how the story evolved. A feel-good beach read for dog lovers everywhere. ( )
  voracious | May 19, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok, I have to say this is by far one if my favorite books I have read in a long time. I adored the backdrop of the dogs and the incredible bond between human and their furry companions. But the book is so much more than dogs...it is about fears. Illnesses, friendship and love. I adored the way people and animals can help those struggling with various issues. I really would love a sequel to this book...what happens after the ending. How do they all fair. I want to continue with these characters. I want to know if they continued to be happy. How did thing continue for them. I felt so connected with these characters that I was sad when the book ended. I want to know more. 5 stars with hopes for a follow up novel!!! ( )
  Mrsmommybooknerd | Apr 7, 2015 |
I am so glad for the chance to read another Meg Donohue book. I read 'How to Eat a Cupcake' and it touched my heart. With her current book 'Dog Crazy', it will grab you and not let go.

'Dog Crazy' is about healing, helping others, and taking that first step. It is a wonderfully touching and emotionally charged book that will bring a smile, a laugh and more then a few tears to the reader.

The cover is a wonderful hint to the hope this book brings to the characters in the story. Thank you Meg Donohue for another well told story. ( )
  RLJM | Mar 29, 2015 |

The USA Today bestselling author of How to Eat a Cupcake and All the Summer Girls returns with an unforgettably poignant and funny tale of love and loss, confronting our fears, and moving on . . . with the help of a poodle, a mutt, and a Basset retriever named Seymour.

As a pet bereavement counselor, Maggie Brennan uses a combination of empathy, insight, and humor to help patients cope with the anguish of losing their beloved four-legged friends. Though she has a gift for guiding others through difficult situations, Maggie has major troubles of her own that threaten the success of her counseling practice and her volunteer work with a dog rescue organization.

Everything changes when a distraught woman shows up at Maggie’s office and claims that her dog has been stolen. Searching the streets of San Francisco for the missing pooch, Maggie finds herself entangled in a mystery that forces her to finally face her biggest fear-and to open her heart to new love.

Packed with deep emotion and charming surprises, Dog Crazy is a bighearted and entertaining story that skillfully captures the bonds of love, the pain of separation, and the power of our dogs to heal us.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:48 -0400)

"As a pet bereavement counselor, Maggie Brennan spends her days helping patients come to terms with losing their four-legged friends, but she's struggling with major problems of her own and can't seem to take her own advice. When she meets a woman who claims her dog is not dead, but missing, Maggie finds herself entangled in a mystery that will force her to face her biggest fear--and maybe just find new love along the way"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Meg Donohue's book Dog Crazy was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Meg Donohue is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,284,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible