The Bourbon Kings by J. R. Ward

The Bourbon Kings

by J. R. Ward

2881939,063 (3.52)5

I had been eyeing this book for quite some time. Everyone had been raving about it. I finally decided to pick it up and read it. I wasn't sure what to expect, especially with it being my first J.R. Ward book. Even though I read the synopsis, I felt like I was going in blind.

This book has a Dallas/soap opera feel to it. I know, I know, this isn't about oil. But basically replace the oil aspect with bourbon. With the family secrets, the lies, the twists, the turns, the super wealthy families, this book was totally a TV show.

I had a hard time keeping the characters straight for a good part of the book. Once I had everyone figured out, I was skipping along through the drama.

This story is full of a lot of information, but it's easy to follow along and reads fairly quickly. The characters are likable and not-so-much likable throughout the book.

Once I hit that ending, I was full-on immersed with the story and couldn't wait to dig into The Angel's Share. ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
Soap opera kind of family drama. It's like chocolate pr chips. You know it's not good for you but you keep eating them. So was this book. I know it's a waste of time but I kept reading it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but soap opera fans. ( )
  spacegirl3000 | Feb 15, 2018 |
The Bourbon Kings
by J.R. Ward
#1 The Bourbon Kings
Audio narrated by Alexander Cendese

First in the series about the Baldwine family dynasty, multi-generational bourbon makers in Charlemont, Kentucky. This was like reading the script of a nighttime soap opera from the early 80s. Because it centered around the time of year of horse derbies, there were a lot of men in fancy suits and women in long gowns. The only things missing were large shoulder pads and cat fights involving the swimming pool! It's fun to sit back and watch the ridiculous shenanigans and manipulations between the entitled, especially when most of their problems stem from their own lies and false assumptions.

Book 1 centers around one of the heirs to the company, Lane Baldwine, who is welcomed back into the fold after a two-year hiatus in NYC, where he spent his time successfully playing poker because he'd "essentially never worked a day in his life". His purpose was mainly to avoid his gold-digger wife, Chantal. Now that he's back, he's eager to begin divorce proceedings and try to gain back favor with his true love, Lizzie King, who works for the family as their horticulturist.

We are also introduced to siblings, Virginia "Gin", and Edward, who both have their own demons they are battling, including righteous anger and broken hearts of their own. A missing sibling, Max, is talked about but not as yet seen. Add to the mix a mother who is hidden away because of either a breakdown or dementia, an abusive and abominably heinous father, and miscellaneous chauvinistic attitudes, rape, voyeurism, possible murders, there is no end to the dysfunction.

This could be read on its own, but there is a bit of a cliffhanger at the end. Similar to a "Who shot J.R.?" kind of thing. If you care, you'll want to read on. (less) ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
Addicted. Definitely a soap opera. ( )
  TinaMReid | Apr 23, 2017 |
It took me awhile to get all the characters straight, but when I did, I became pretty interested in the goings on of each of them. I've never liked soap operas so it seems like this wouldn't be my type of book. I really liked it though. I will definitely be reading the next novel in the series. I can't wait to see who figures out what. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Dedicated to my beloved Southern Gentleman, John Neville Blakemore III, without whom this, and so much else, would not be possible.
Mist hung over the Ohio's sluggish waters like the breath of God, and the trees on the Charlemont shore side of River Road were so many shades of spring green, the color required a sixth sense to absorb them all.

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Black Dagger Brotherhood delivers the first novel in an enthralling new series set amid the shifting dynamics of a Southern family defined by wealth and privilege—and compromised by secrets, deceit, and scandal....

For generations, the Bradford family has worn the mantle of kings of the bourbon capital of the world. Their sustained wealth has afforded them prestige and privilege—as well as a hard-won division of class on their sprawling estate, Easterly. Upstairs, a dynasty that by all appearances plays by the rules of good fortune and good taste. Downstairs, the staff who work tirelessly to maintain the impeccable Bradford facade. And never the twain shall meet.

For Lizzie King, Easterly’s head gardener, crossing that divide nearly ruined her life. Falling in love with Tulane, the prodigal son of the bourbon dynasty, was nothing that she intended or wanted—and their bitter breakup only served to prove her instincts were right. Now, after two years of staying away, Tulane is finally coming home again, and he is bringing the past with him. No one will be left unmarked: not Tulane’s beautiful and ruthless wife; not his older brother, whose bitterness and bad blood know no bounds; and especially not the ironfisted Bradford patriarch, a man with few morals, fewer scruples, and many, many terrible secrets.

As family tensions—professional and intimately private—ignite, Easterly and all its inhabitants are thrown into the grips of an irrevocable transformation, and only the cunning will survive.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:31 -0400)

"For generations, the Bradford family has worn the mantle of kings of the bourbon capital of the world. Their sustained wealth has afforded them prestige and privilege--as well as a hard-won division of class on their sprawling estate, Easterly. Upstairs, a dynasty that by all appearances plays by the rules of good fortune and good taste. Downstairs, the staff who work tirelessly to maintain the impeccable Bradford facade. And never the twain shall meet. For Lizzie King, Easterly's head gardener, crossing that divide nearly ruined her life. Falling in love with Tulane, the prodigal son of the bourbon dynasty, was nothing that she intended or wanted--and their bitter breakup only served to prove her instincts were right. Now, after two years of staying away, Tulane is finally coming home again, and he is bringing the past with him. No one will be left unmarked: not Tulane's beautiful and ruthless wife; not his older brother, whose bitterness and bad blood know no bounds; and especially not the ironfisted Bradford patriarch, a man with few morals, fewer scruples, and many, many terrible secrets. As family tensions--professional and intimately private--ignite, Easterly and all its inhabitants are thrown into the grips of an irrevocable transformation, and only the cunning will survive"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible